16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Midsummer is upon us, Fall is just around the corner...
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen- Love reading your posts but I'm certainly not wishing the rest of the summer away i know what comes after hunting season! The fishing has been incredible here the past three weeks. I've had banner days within 150 yards of my house on rainbows ,browns and some landlocks. Nothing big(11-14) but on small dry fly's and light tippets in the fast water thy fight gallantly. I hit a smaller water today and caught some brook trout and small browns. The brookies were so pretty I didn't even lift them out of the water to take the flys out.

Cooper and I have been walking every morning getting ready for the upcoming season though. I walk 6.5 miles by Onx hunt. Have to start putting in time on some steeper hills not so much for bird season but for Montana elk end of October with my son. No South Dakota trip this fall its too close to the elk hunt date but we are going to Maine for grouse. A bit early for woodcock flight birds but there maybe some locals around. Enjoy your planning its one of the best parts of the hunt. Regards, Joe

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/64518_600x400/] [/URL]
Swampy16
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, I’d like to take you up on that. I’ll pm you my number and whenever you have time give me a shout. If you wanna come down this way and do some fluke fishing let me know. Season ends around mid September. Boats always gassed up and ready.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:58 pm  Reply with quote

Swampy16,

Thanks for the offer on the fishing, however I have plenty of wild trout here in Potter County to keep me busy fly fishing all the time. Drop me some private mail or e-mail me at Pine-Creek@live.com and we will set something up for Grouse season!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:32 am  Reply with quote

Already planning that I won't have nearly as much time to hunt this fall, at least during the week. Starting a new job soon and it's one of those 5 days a week, 8 hours a day things. But they pay is good, the benefits better and the company ain't goin' anywhere.

In the meantime, a reminder that elections have consequences: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/petition-to-ban-all-interstate-transport-of-wildlife-would-cripple-u-s-hunters-conservation/ar-AAN71IW?ocid=msedgntp

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:39 pm  Reply with quote

Well, my boy's back in school, the evenings are getting cooler and the mornings definitely have that "feel" some days now. The only thing that might upset my plans this year is another real work project that could delay my departure until later in September or early October. I'm seriously hoping that won't happen but I'll just have to work around it if it does. Weather predictions are usually wildly-off anymore but...almost all the prognosticators are now all calling for a warm and late Fall this year. Maybe a late start won't be so bad?

[url=https://imgur.com/g7kQ40O] [/url]

Last edited by Lloyd3 on Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:09 am; edited 2 times in total

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

The first of our bird seasons kick off here on Sept. 1st. I have been wearing the flannel shirt and long pants (or even sweat pants) out on the deck for morning coffee lately. 36 degrees the other morning, 40 today at dawn. It feels like that time and soon will be. The best part? I am seeing an increase in grouse numbers at one of my favorite blue grouse covers.

Saw a blue and a ruff today when I took a young man up through the boulder fields in the Samurai so we could hike into a very special brook trout spot. He probably caught 50+ on his fly rod and the big ones ran 16" with an average of 14".Thick fish too. He said it was his best fishing trip ever... made my heart all warm. Tomorrow he will be in school, no doubt distracted by what he experienced today. It was a special day, made all the better by the grouse sitings.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

Garhart,

No doubt about it you are a special kind of sportsman, he will remember that day for the rest of his life. Glad to see the Grouse numbers up in your neck of the woods, we are hoping for a similar event here in Pa!

see ya in the woods some time.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Dave, you remember the picture of the colorful brook trout in my cast-n-blast article a year or two back? That's the amazing place I took him. The only thing better than catching all of those big brook trout, is catching them in that kind of scenery.

He's a good kid. I took him duck hunting a bunch last year before his basketball season started. He would meet me after school 3-4 days a week. I also took him out on his first sage grouse hunt, much fun.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

Garhart,

Congrats on introducing the young man into your fantastic way of life. IMO introducing the younger generations into our way of life, is the most important part of being a sportsman and a mentor. We definitely need more sportsman like you, if I can help you in the future in any way, give me a yell. Maybe we can line up a good double gun for the young man some day.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man