16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  What to know regarding "Lefever single shot shotgun?
jrothWA
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:33 am  Reply with quote

Local gentleman has one for sale.

ASking %265

This is something better than a iver johnson single-shot [darn mule kicker], right?

Thx for responses.
16'er
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:10 am  Reply with quote

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20703

Not sure if you saw this older thread.
putz463
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:46 am  Reply with quote

Neat little guns. Borrowed a buds heirloom 16ga Trap model for nostalgia sake, with 1oz loads (my normal Trap load) it kicked so hard it was an endurance match to finish the line. IMO, they are far too light for a steady diet of target shooting. If you intend on using it a lot ask if you could fire it first. If collecting and rarely shooting then go for it.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:52 am  Reply with quote

putzie , I have a Trap and Field 12ga . With the old Ithaca type tapered rib . The 12 is not a particularly hard kicker . Is plenty tight and I shoot 3/4 loads - easy . Now a similar set-up with 16ga and 5/8 loads would be the cat's meow ! Also , simple action with a breach block , and FP out and same diameter shaft in , mechanics dream !COVID SUCKS !!

Researcher
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

There were two Ithaca made Lefever single barrel shotguns. The Model 2 was introduced in their 1928 mailer, called The Lefever Long Range Ejector Single Barrel Field and Trap --

The Model 2 had a safety, a plain barrel and was offered in 12-, 16- & 20-gauges and .410-bore in a variety of barrel lengths. Text says 12-gauge about 7 pounds.

The Model 3 was introduced in the 1929 Lefever Arms Co., Inc. poster as the Lefever Single Barrel Trap Gun in 12-gauge only with 32-inch barrel at $19 more than the $16 Model 2. For your $19 they deleted the safety, added the same vent rib as the Ithaca Knick, with ivory sights and a recoil pad. In later years it got a somewhat fuller forearm.

Text says about 8 pounds.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:49 pm  Reply with quote

Nice pics researcher ! Mine is the Model 3 . Shot tons of shells thru mine . One new FP , and my ejector went in about 4 directions . Couldn't really find a smith here to fix it , so it is epoxied into the chamber with a finger pick groove filed in to get shells out . RGL type shells are what it gets as they are 1 piece and don't stretch out . A neatly tapered mouth , and the little loads pop right out .

Researcher
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 4:52 pm  Reply with quote

Between 1931 and 1932 the price of the Model 3 increased from $35 to $37.80. That was the price until it went up to $38.08 in 1940 which I think was an increase in the excise tax.

Between 1931 and 1932 the price of the Model 2 increased from $16 to $17.80. That was the price until it was discontinued in 1940.

I don't have much on Iver Johnson retail prices, but the Champion was $10.75 in 1934. With a matted rib and checkered wood it was $15.25, while the Iver Johnson Special Trap with ventilated rib and trap stock was $18.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:06 am  Reply with quote

It is always so interesting to see what the going prices were in that era . 37 bucks sounds sooo good now - took some serious thinking back then ! I believe dad said when he got rehired back to Kodak after discharging from the army , he was at $1.37 ! He had a couple guns , 2 97's and a 95 . Never bought a new gun till around 1970 when he bought a new 870mag . WAY more frugal than I was !! But I can see it !