16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Grouse season
boon hogganbeck
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:34 am  Reply with quote

Hello Cold Iron! Yes, back home in PA, and yes, I definitely want the 37, let's do it. I sent you a couple PM's on UJ about it... but maybe you didn't get them? I know there have been some tech issues there lately. I don't think I have an email address for you. Let me know what it is, and I'll email you directly.

The pup is doing pretty well. He tore his leg open on a fence last month, but he's healed up. Have been going out to my friend's every other day (he keeps pigeons & has quail on the way) to work on steadiness. The pup's got a couple issues. He loves to chase after the flush, and works himself into a real frenzy, but we're getting past that slowly but surely. Not worried about that. The real issue is that he tends to "outrun his nose." Just runs flat-out, balls-to-the-wall on the ground and often bumps (not rips) birds, in a way that spooky wild bird just will not tolerate. I'm not sure what the remedy is except to keep putting him on wild birds, let the birds educate him, & hope he matures and slows his roll a bit.

But anyway, yes, still interested in the 37!

Cold Iron wrote:

quote="boon hogganbeck"]I'm also bullish on PA grouse & excited for the season. The glorious (October) 16th! I have the first 3 days off, and my mother is kindly watching my son. Between the hot weather & an unfortunate dog injury, I haven't been scouting, but hopefully I'll turn that around as the weather breaks. I'm sure to wander into Potter County at some point... This will be my pup's 2nd season. Grouse usually outsmarted both of us last year, these PA birds are spooky, but you could see him start to figure it out. Just hoping for progress & strong points. I have been doing a lot of steadiness training w/ him this month. Once PA season ends, I'll dip down into my home land of WV for the late season (as long as those high mountain roads can be traveled, which is not a sure thing). Happy hunting.

Sounds like you are back home?! Haven't seen an email from you but will hit you up on UJ to see if you still want the 37. It isn't going anyplace except to you if it does.

Like most growing up in the Twin Tiers I hunted both NY and Pa. I assume that when you talk about NY you are now talking about the Northern part. Land is fractured but not so much as the Southern Tier is and from my friends I grew up with there is some good hunting to be had. If you are willing to work for it.

Talk soon I hope. And either way good luck and hope the pup is doing well![/quote]
calebg
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

Nearly there, in the woods,

and the wide open.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

calebg,

Love the picture of the Sharpie hanging on the fence with the pump gun beside it!

Cold Iron,

You're era in Potter County and mine were quite different, you could not ride down Rt6 without seeing a Ryman Grouse dog either on a farm porch or running in the yard, logging was still going strong, and Galeton had over 1000 families living in it. Sportsman fished with Bamboo Fly Rods from Bob Martins store which was in the back of his fathers grocery by the lake in Galeton. Many of the sportsman who owned camps in Shinglehouse, had very little money in the 40's and 50's, later many of the boys had single shot or pup guns, because money became really really tight, as the logging slowed way down. Having been born in my Grandfathers home at 189 West Main street in Galeton, I do realize there is a great difference in the northern part of Potter County and the southern part. Many of us who were born in Potter County now own nice log cabins here. Mine happens to be in Gaines Township, not far from where I was born in Galeton. Having been raised by my father and grandfather when times were better in Potter County, my view of Potter and yours are quite different. My Grandfather was a Lawyer and my Father worked for the railroad industry I had a good life and I would not trade it for anything. My only regret is that my Grandfather sold his fathers home on Rt6 where I was born, I almost bought it back a few years ago. The people have kept it just as perfect as when my Great Grandpartents built it.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:11 am  Reply with quote

I certainly remember that M31. Nice to see it's still in action.

Purple16
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

I'm going to northern Ontario October 3-9 to hunt Ruffs and big ducks. Going alone anyways unless anyone would like to join in an adventure. Staying at a lodge with food, a guide and dogs provided. Might even get in some Walleye fishing if time offers it.

Guide tells me 10+ flushes per hour is common with grouse. Lots of grouse! He says big ducks over decoys is good fun also.

Vaccine card for CV19 allows you to travel north of our border now it's open.

If any of you guys have the desire and time send me a PM for more details. I figure one to three guys from here would be a good crew.

https://www.kapriveroutfitters.com/grouse-hunts/

https://www.kapriveroutfitters.com/waterfowl-hunting/

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:37 pm  Reply with quote

Purple16,

Sounds like a good trip, I have heard of this particular Guide service and my understanding is that the trip is definitely worth while. Be careful crossing the border with your guns, each one has to have a SN, they do paper work on each gun now.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

[URL=https://www.jpgbox.com/page/64722_600x400/] [/URL]
Can’t wait.

Purple16
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
Purple16,

Sounds like a good trip, I have heard of this particular Guide service and my understanding is that the trip is definitely worth while. Be careful crossing the border with your guns, each one has to have a SN, they do paper work on each gun now.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Thanks for the heads up Dave. I've been to Canada several times freelance waterfowl hunting so I know the drill. It's pretty easy going back and forth.

"A gun should be a thing of beauty, something which gives its owner pride and pleasure. For that reason, most men will buy the best gun they can afford. With a good gun on his arm, a man becomes a sporting gentleman, both on the field and off."
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:40 am  Reply with quote

[url=https://imgur.com/6SEwWRY] [/url]

Counting down the days before I get to walk this trail again. I had planned on a small dove hunt here this week but all my old places and former hunting partners are unavailable. Oh well....lots to do still in anticipation of the long ride across the Midwest to get there. I'll shoot some clays instead and bide my time.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:56 am  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

Looks like a nice Grousie spot, have fun with the dog!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

stevesavage
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:26 am  Reply with quote

What is the best way to get to Kap River Outfitters? Car, plane, etc. Are guns safe on planes?