16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Activ Reloading Manual
MatthewWyatt
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:36 am  Reply with quote

Does anyone have an Activ Reloading manual they are willing to part with? I just picked up almost 700 once fired Activ 12 gauge 2 3/4” hulls and would like to have some data for them. Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air,...
MoRem870
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:54 am  Reply with quote

I have a Acitiv Reloading Booklet, but I would like to hold onto it as I have some Activ hulls to reload. I have scanned the information out of it for 1 oz loads. I also have a page out of a older Lyman book that has 1 oz loads. I will try sending it to you via pm. This is my reply post and attempt to send something so it may take me a few trys.
MatthewWyatt
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:56 am  Reply with quote

MoRem870 wrote:
I have a Acitiv Reloading Booklet, but I would like to hold onto it as I have some Activ hulls to reload. I have scanned the information out of it for 1 oz loads. I also have a page out of a older Lyman book that has 1 oz loads. I will try sending it to you via pm. This is my reply post and attempt to send something so it may take me a few trys.

I got it! I owe you a big thank you for helping me out. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air,...
robp
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:51 pm  Reply with quote

I have BPI active manual I'd copy for you I like active hulls in both 12 2 3/4 3" and 16
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 2:44 pm  Reply with quote

I still have 2 flats of ACTIVE16 GA FACTORY. 3-1/4 dram 1oz 6's.
MatthewWyatt
PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

robp wrote:
I have BPI active manual I'd copy for you I like active hulls in both 12 2 3/4 3" and 16

That would be awesome. I’d really appreciate that a lot. Those hulls are nice and I do miss them. I’d like to get them back out to the blind or in the field sometime.

Jagdhund
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

MatthewWyatt wrote:
Does anyone have an Activ Reloading manual they are willing to part with? I just picked up almost 700 once fired Activ 12 gauge 2 3/4” hulls and would like to have some data for them. Thanks in advance for any help you can send my way.
A friend recently sold me a case of 12 ga, 3 1/4 - 1 1/4 -7 1/2 Activs. Unfortunately, at some time or other they got wet. However, so far all have fired. I have at least one Activ manual, although for obvious reasons, I'm going to keep it.

I haven't reloaded any of these hulls, yet. But some of the Activs I loaded last season were plagued with splits in the crimps after firing. Age may be creeping up in them.

Jagdhund
PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 12:10 pm  Reply with quote

MatthewWyatt wrote:

4setters
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:56 am  Reply with quote

Jaghund mentions splits in crimps. Here's a tale of splits in Activ cases. For what it is worth.

Back in the 90s, when Activs were fairly common in the market, I hunted ducks about every day of the season in AR. I reloaded 2 and 3/4 hulls, mostly Federal Gold Medal 12s, with 1 and 1/8 oz of steel shot for a lot of that hunting. using 800x and wads/data from BPI. Somewhere in that process, I acquired about 100 2 and 3/4 once-fired Activ hulls, and the recipe for them was similar to that for the Gold Medal hulls, so I loaded them up with steel. Mid-way through the first hunt, I shot one and my Benelli Model 90 ripped the hull into just forward of the base section upon ejection, with the base ejected and the "tube" left in the chamber. After my partners limited out, I borrowed a BPS and finished mine (I learned not to work on guns standing in knee deep water with cold hands early on in my duck hunting career!).

Experimentation with those hulls back at the house showed a high number of those hulls did the same in the Benelli, so I broke them down for the components and discarded the remaining Activ hulls, and never attempted to load any 16 gauge Activ hulls after that.

This may have been a unique circumstance relative to the particular lot of Activ hulls, the violent ejection force of a Benelli action, or some other factor. The gun never hick-uped with the Federal Gold Medals or any other hulls during its heavy use for about 20 years during the heyday of Arkansas duck hunting however. And it was obvious to me that the plastic in Winchester CF hulls was far more "tough" and reloadable than that of Activ hulls, and I had plenty of access to them in those days, so that's what I mainly used for most of my reloading. Many an in state and out-of-state bird hunt with a variety of guns has proven CFs to be 100% reliable.

Now on to Fiocchi hulls which also aren't totally reliable . . . . . . . .

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:41 am  Reply with quote

4S .... not an uncommon result with activs - although mine usually were into the 7/8 reload zone . Most of the time , you could reach into the chamber with your finger and fish it out .

wildlew
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

yes I have PDF of their books

wildlew@cox.nt
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:18 am  Reply with quote

Years ago I had the same problem with the active hulls. It just might be me but I find the problem with temperature below somewhere around 40 degrees gave a problem of hull separation. Above 50 degrees I never had the problem.
I have a friend that goes to Argentina dove shooting every year. He told me shells are furnished and they are the Actives. Very popular their. Never had a problem with hull separation. However the temperature is warm and factory loads. Said it's nothing to shoot 500 or more before lunch. Of course they have people handing you loaded guns constantly as long as you can bare it.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:18 am  Reply with quote

Years ago I had the same problem with the active hulls. It just might be me but I find the problem with temperature below somewhere around 40 degrees gave a problem of hull separation. Above 50 degrees I never had the problem.
I have a friend that goes to Argentina dove shooting every year. He told me shells are furnished and they are the Actives. Very popular their. Never had a problem with hull separation. However the temperature is warm and factory loads. Said it's nothing to shoot 500 or more before lunch. Of course they have people handing you loaded guns constantly as long as you can bare it.
bigclubs
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

I found in a dusty box in the garage stored for ever... 175 Active hulls in 12ga. Also had a hard time finding load data since the Active Wads are not produced anymore. Did find the in the BPI Archive Load Data, 12 loads for the 16 ga Active hulls using BPI SP16 wads.