16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  WW-Super X?
John1
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:14 am  Reply with quote

I “found” several boxes of Winchester hi-power 16’s in my stash that I had forgotten about. These were bought 20+ years ago and came in the silver boxes. Can someone tell me what load data they would be suited for? Seems I’ve read the newer ones are the same as Cheddite but not sure.

Thanks, John.
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:10 am  Reply with quote

Hey John1 the transition from the win compression formed to the current winchester being sold today is a murky one. Well at least for me anyway. It is my understanding those in the silver boxes are the poly formed hulls. Take a look at the previous discussion. Hope the link works.
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17436&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Another one

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17142&start=15&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

Mark Twain
John1
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:24 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks 4x. From that info it looks like they are definitely the poly formed hulls and not CF which I didn’t think they were anyway. Plenty of load data for the poly hulls. My only hope is, that they are a tad shorter than the Cheddite so they won’t hang up in my M12 on ejection.

John
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:56 am  Reply with quote

When Winchester changed from the white w/red,orange trim to the silver they also changed from the CF to the poly hulls, however they must have had a supply of CF on hand because I recall getting some boxes shortly after the change that came in silver boxes but were CF. I recall there was a way to identify them while still loaded- seems it was whether the sides were ribbed or not. But the sure way to know would be to shoot one and check the hull. Either way there is plenty of load data available.