16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  wads
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:21 am  Reply with quote

BP's last e-mail flyer listed claybuster 16's in stock ..... Precision has been a great source for a while now for all 16's except DR's , which I believe DR still hasn't made an attempt to make - may never a again ..... Nick's been too busy to pester about this , I have mentioned maybe we send the mold to Claybuster - way too much legalities and time .

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:29 am  Reply with quote

Can someone purchase the rights to the mold?
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:58 am  Reply with quote

Recob's is my goto for 16 ga wads
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

Hammer bill,

I believe that Nick Hammock still owns those molds.

You should probably talk to him about it.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:39 am  Reply with quote

I talked to Kevin at the beginning of January and he said that he hopped that he would be able to make a run of DR16 by the end of the month. Obviously that did not happen.

Last year a derecho (straight line winds) ripped the roofs off his buildings. Then the company that did the repairs went horribly wrong. They had to do them twice. He was out of commision much of the year.

Then this winter cold and storms shutdown a lot of the oil refineries in the Gulf coast where plastic resin comes from. All plastic resin has been in short supply this year but is starting to catch up. Then ammo shortage has caused many to dust off their reloaders plus new shooters starting to reload and it is a perfect storm. Demand is through the roof while raw materials are in short supply. For a lot of things around the Country and World.

Not sure Claybuster or anyone for that matter could do any better given the current situation.

I've been waiting somewhat patiently for Kevin do do another run of DR16's. This week on trapshooters someone posted a picture of windjammer wads and asked what is up with this funky color instead of the normal orange color.

The color is that of the DR16 wads

My heart kind of sank. Looks like he had the resin for the DR16 however it went into 12 ga. windjammers. Not sure what is up with that or if he has more.
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:51 am  Reply with quote

I hope the DR16 comes back. I've got a mountain of Cheddite and Federal hulls to be loaded light for clays.
Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:28 am  Reply with quote

I really hope they get back up and going as those would be perfect wads for my clays loads.

I would say claybuster is in a much better situation as I have been able to find their wads for about all gauges through this shortage as long as I look at different vendors or don’t mind waiting a little to get them.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:54 am  Reply with quote

Hammer Bill and DC - Mark , Nick does own the mold - lease type deal with DownRange . It's his mold , don't know if he'd get mad me saying this , I really can't say what he might be interested in doing . DownRange MIGHT be in a position to make a run , but things have not looked as such . I believe Recobs is the landing area for a run , hasn't seen a whisper .... Cold Iron summed up the deal as to what is going on pretty well . Also , one of the owners (80+) passed a while back and the present owner is of the same age group etc - so can't say what the future is going to be . The DR is such a great invention for those of us that have been lucky enough to use !!!

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:48 am  Reply with quote

A parallel issue: my son talked to someone in the motor oil industry and was told that the reason plastic jugs of motor oil are becoming scarce wasn't that there was a shortage of oil, but a shortage of the type of plastic used to make the jugs, which seems to me to be quite similar to the type used in wads. so one possible reason for the disparity between supply and demand for wads could be the availability of the plastic used in making the wads, at least for the smaller producers that have less influence on the suppliers.
Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:31 pm  Reply with quote

I thinkit's gonna be a while! the storms in TX last winter caused some damage to resign production plants that make material for PVC and a multitude of other resigns. That and the Covid celebration have affected all the plastic industries on this side of the country. I know this because i can't get pipe for my installations either. We need Green class 200 and it has to be green! Estimated delivery is now early next year. If it's that long for infrastructure pipe that sells for high dollars its gonna be a long time till there is resigns available for wad production. Of course I'm only speculating but it makes sense...to some degree.

Orwell

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:17 am  Reply with quote

Is a must
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:40 am  Reply with quote

right now for 16ga , I'd really cozy up to the "G" wads that are avail right now . So far , Precision has been the ones who have listed "in stock" . Love my DR's and can get by with the Rems , but these are the go to's .