16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  What is an Ithica Crass?
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:53 pm  Reply with quote

...could somebody kindly, briefly, fill me in on this Ithica thing?

What is a "Crass"? Then there's the Flues, the Numbered guns (are they just tricked out Flues?), and then the NID, which I understand to be an improved Flues that came later....what were the approximate dates on these? The "Crass" looks like a Sterly kind of in the photo I saw.....

Thanks a lot, if any of you've got the time, I'm really interested..... were they good guns, like as compared to Nitro Scl, Fox Sterlingworth, LC Smith, Parker, etc? Which of these makers was known to be the sturdiest, most trouble free, etc?

I profess very little knowledge about some of these earlier American guns, and if somebody can help, or steer me to a good resource, whatever, I really want to learn.....I was at one time very into Model 21's owned 6-7 over the years, now only one, and also, I knew a bit about Parkers, owned a few a while back, but know very little about these others.

Thanks a lot, I am learning so much here, and it's really fun, to boot.... this is the best gun site I've ever seen by a mile.... you guys are the greatest,

b'gun

PS Are ejectors rare in most of these lower end guns of these makers?

poinlaw
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:15 pm  Reply with quote

Pick up a copy of Walter Snyder's, The Ithaca Gun Company, From the Beginning from Amazon.com or some other bookseller. All things will be revealed. Ithaca's first hammerless double was known as the Crass model (late 1880's early 90's), the next design change was the Lewis (1890s -early 00's), followed by the Minier (2 years only, 1906-7) , followed by the Flues (1908-26) followed by the New Ithaca Double or NID (1926-WWII). Research is its own reward. Have fun. Mike P.
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

poinlaw wrote:
Pick up a copy of Walter Snyder's, The Ithaca Gun Company, From the Beginning from Amazon.com or some other bookseller. All things will be revealed. Ithaca's first hammerless double was known as the Crass model (late 1880's early 90's), the next design change was the Lewis (1890s -early 00's), followed by the Minier (2 years only, 1906-7) , followed by the Flues (1908-26) followed by the New Ithaca Double or NID (1926-WWII). Research is its own reward. Have fun. Mike P.

Thanks so much, that sure helps.... I really, really appreciate it, in your opinion, how do they stack up against the other makers' guns?

Duncan

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:37 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Duncan,

I know very little about Ithaca except that the NID (new improved design) was the strongest and best of the bunch. I brought a Grade 4E Flues 16 ga. (my very first 16 ga.) about 15 years ago. Straight grip, beavertail foreend. Nice engraving and wood. The seller called me a day later to "caution" me as he didn't remember telling me the day before, about shooting only low brass, light loads.

Today, I would buy a box of 2 1/2" RST's and go shooting. Back then, I felt a shiver run down my spine and I drove back to return that gun. The seller returned my money, and gave me a nice deal on a (way more money) 12 ga. Lindner Daly Empire grade. Who knows... If that Flues was a NID I might be the Ithaca collector today, instead of a Prussian gun collector. Interesting how circumstance dictates the future.

As I know it and I may be totally wrong, have any Crass or Lewis gun checked, shoot light loads in the Flues, and "run whatcha brung" in the NID, as well as the Nitro, and Fultons.

Good luck, and I'm sure someone who knows more will correct me if I am mis-informed.

Peter

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

Prussian Gun Guy wrote:
Hi Duncan,

I know very little about Ithaca except that the NID (new improved design) was the strongest and best of the bunch. I brought a Grade 4E Flues 16 ga. (my very first 16 ga.) about 15 years ago. Straight grip, beavertail foreend. Nice engraving and wood. The seller called me a day later to "caution" me as he didn't remember telling me the day before, about shooting only low brass, light loads.

Today, I would buy a box of 2 1/2" RST's and go shooting. Back then, I felt a shiver run down my spine and I drove back to return that gun. The seller returned my money, and gave me a nice deal on a (way more money) 12 ga. Lindner Daly Empire grade. Who knows... If that Flues was a NID I might be the Ithaca collector today, instead of a Prussian gun collector. Interesting how circumstance dictates the future.

As I know it and I may be totally wrong, have any Crass or Lewis gun checked, shoot light loads in the Flues, and "run whatcha brung" in the NID, as well as the Nitro, and Fultons.

Good luck, and I'm sure someone who knows more will correct me if I am mis-informed.

Peter

hey Peter, that is EXACTLY what I needed to know.... there seem to be a few sweeter deals on the older Ithicas, now I get it, you can't shoot them like you can the others, hence less money....thanks a million for the info,

Duncan

PS .....can't remember where, but one of the www.doublegunshop.com advertisers had an incredible 16ga Lindner on there, made me think of you....also had a 6 pound 12 bore Lindner....perhaps you've already seen them...

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

I've seen them. But Dr.Wife is trying to ruin my fun. I brought 2 guns in the past 2 weeks. One a sweet little 16 ga. Sauer grade 8 with ejectors, 29 1/2" tubes, sweet engraving. The other is a new/old stock- 12 ga. Heckler N Koch SXS, 26", choke tubes, English stock. On top of that, a client just gave me 5 vintage german guns that he inherited. One 12 ga. Guild Hammer gun, one 12 ga. Sauer, a 12 ga. Kettner sidelock (the first sidelock I've ever seen with absolutely no engraving), a 20 ga. guild gun, and my absolute dream gun... a 16 ga. Grade 18 ejector Sauer (made 5/26), English grip, 28" barrels, 5 lbs. 11 oz. Skeet I/Modified. 2 triggers. 5 guns, totally free, and Dr. Wife thinks I am lieing to her. I would never do that when guns are concerned. She wants me to go to addiction counseling.

Hello, my name is Peter and I am an addict.

P.S. don't send me a PM. Free is not free. This man is a client. I perform a service, and he writes me a check. Until now... Now he is my benefactor. I hope I don't sound like too cynical a New Yorker.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"