16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Wouldn't It Be Nice
gunsrus
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2020 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Brewster11 wrote:
Quote:
I realize you are looking for a more upscale gun

Actually I am not bent on spending large sums of money. I would like to find, I daresay, a product of an American manufacturer with a century or so lineage of robust quality and time-tested durability.

I'd look for a Fox Sterlingworth and do what it takes to get it to fit you.

Like Dave said , find a Sterly $2000 , buy a gorgeous blank $1000 , have a new stock made to your specifications , reblue , case color , $3500
For under $7000 you have your own custom built Fox 16 under 6lbs .
Newtonian_Guy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:22 pm  Reply with quote

Location: The Great Rustbelt, otherwise known as Northeastern Ohio

I own a Fox Sterlingworth and will be sending it to Darlington Gun Works to have Jim work his magic on it.

Clean-up the barrels and receiver, re-brown the barrels, and case color the receiver for about $850 or so. Probably have him do the stock and forend as well.

Bought the Sterly two years ago for $1500.

Add another grand for making it look like new.

Why buy anything else?

The Fox is VERY light and is an extension of my eye.

It has accounted for multiples of Quail, Pheasants, and Chukar. It is very plain in the engraving department, but that doesn't detract from the usefulness of the weapon.

Thought I wanted a Model 21 at one time, but the Sterly just FITS me just right.

Your money is yours to spend, but think on this option.

I will also be sending Jim my Model 12 in 16 Ga. to bring it back to pristine condition. I am not a collector; I enjoy having a good looking weapon with me in the field.

Zavasta M75 16 Bore
Ithaca NID 16 Bore
Fox Sterlingworth 16 Bore
Franchi Falconet O/U 12 Bore
2 Antonio Zoli Field Grade 12 Bore
Ithaca Model 100 12 Bore
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

My 30" Holland & Holland Dominion back action ejector 16 weighs 6lbs 1oz, and was made in 1911. It would have been under 6lbs if I hadn't added heel and toe plates. It's surprising that with today's advanced metallurgy, an even lighter sxs 16 couldn't be made. If they were able to do it over a hundred years ago, why not now? Especially in a boxlock?

That said, my circa 1880 30" damascus Husqvarna jones underlever 16 weighs 6.10 lbs, and I don't even notice it. Not sure why. And it has a sling, which I really like, especially when banging around in the chukar hills, working with a dog, etc. To whit, just this morning I had to carry my nearly 12yr old setter the last 100 yds back to the truck. Probably his last hunt, unless I go to a preserve. Crying or Very sad The sling really came in handy. And I also put a deposit on a setter pup for this summer, so I have that going for me, which is nice. Wink

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

UncleDanFan wrote:
My 30" Holland & Holland Dominion back action ejector 16 weighs 6lbs 1oz, and was made in 1911. It would have been under 6lbs if I hadn't added heel and toe plates. It's surprising that with today's advanced metallurgy, an even lighter sxs 16 couldn't be made. If they were able to do it over a hundred years ago, why not now? Especially in a boxlock?

That said, my circa 1880 30" damascus Husqvarna jones underlever 16 weighs 6.10 lbs, and I don't even notice it. Not sure why. And it has a sling, which I really like, especially when banging around in the chukar hills, working with a dog, etc. To whit, just this morning I had to carry my nearly 12yr old setter the last 100 yds back to the truck. Probably his last hunt, unless I go to a preserve. Crying or Very sad The sling really came in handy. And I also put a deposit on a setter pup for this summer, so I have that going for me, which is nice. Wink

Sorry to hear the setter is nearing the end of his hunting career. They just are never around long enough.

I am a fan of the Edwardian period guns if you can find them in decent shape, especially the barrels. Regarding the 6 lb and today’s advanced science I think we have ourselves to blame. There is a tendency in the U.S. to feel higher powered ammo is essential and that means a heavier action and barrels to meet SAAMI standards. The Brit guns today are heavier for the same reasons i.e. to meet SAAMI regs for guns exported to the U.S. and have the ability to shoot steel. At least that is my take on current guns.

Good Hunting,
Mike
tramroad28
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:54 pm  Reply with quote

The OP's wish sounds like a very nice shotgun but were I to wish or work for it would be for 20% ES habitat on national and state forests; a valuing of set-aside programs apart from bird hunting opportunities and federal land free from corporate extraction plans, private folks locking up access or feel good old growth/protectionist nonsense.

I suspect the shotgun wish is most likely....what does that say?
JoJer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:10 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
...if CSMC offered a lightweight 16ga SxS, lightly struck barrels, fixed chokes, double triggers, bored out buttstock, straight grip, splinter foreend, 6 lbs or thereabout? I'd jump on it like a fumble in the endzone.

I wonder if they would accept an order for a configuration like that. Although their current 16 ga SxS line comes in around 7 lbs, one would think they could manufacture a 6 lb SxS.

B.

Hmm and American gun?
!6 ga Ithaca NID of 1928. Double triggers, selective ejectors, Full and Full. 6 pounds 14 ounces. Paid $900. , lengthened chambers, stock replaced (I haven't taken the pad off to see if Les bored out the stock). about $1200. in it now.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:48 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
I to wish or work for it would be for 20% ES habitat on national and state forests; a valuing of set-aside programs apart from bird hunting opportunities and federal land free from corporate extraction plans, private folks locking up access or feel good old growth/protectionist nonsense.

Notwithstanding all the good ideas for bird hunting access and set asides, many forestry and wildlife experts say that the only real way to return to the great days of grouse hunting is to clear cut the entire great eastern forests again as was done a century or more ago. Grouse flourish best in young second growth mixed woodlands, and certainly not old growth climax forests which are returning everywhere but are grouse hunting deserts.

And great days they were, as half a century ago in Michigan it was not uncommon to raise one or two dozen or grouse at a flush as Pine Creek Dave alluded to in his region.

B.
Sporting Days
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve got a 16 gauge RBL. It’s a very nice gun. I had the interchangeable recoil system removed to shed a little weight. It’s a little bit heftier than some of the European 16 gauges with 29-inch barrels and all. I find it, however, much more versatile. It’s the 16 I grab first for wild pheasants — but also for ducks and clays as well. Doesn’t beat you up on the clays course like some of the lighter 16s. Made in America with exceptional quality. I’m keeping mine.