16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  .012 choke constriction for a 16 bore light mod?
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

.....I want a "tight IC" or Lt Mod....would this about do it?

Thanks.....

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Brit,
The top of the page under choke restrictions should answer all your questions.
Best,
Ron
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

Ron Overberg wrote:
Hi Brit,
The top of the page under choke restrictions should answer all your questions.
Best,
Ron

....so if an .008 is IC and .016 is MOD, then it only stands to reason that .012 is Lt. Mod, yes? Am I missing anything here? Based on the varied numbers and discrepencies reported by Win, Rem, and Brwng on the spot to which you so kindly referred me, that I had already reviewed, I was wanting an opinion from anybody out there if I'm correct in assuming that .012 would be a good half way point between an IC and a MOD choke in 16 bore, and I thank you very much... anybody actually have an opinion on that?

Duncan

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

Duncan,
I'm in trouble now...I can tell. I have an opinion which agrees with yours. The IC at .007 and mod at .015 and SKII at .010 we have an agreement. The numbers are from Mike Orlens choke sheet from Shotgun World web sight. I am always reluctant to express my opinions with out some facts. I guess I came across badly.
Best,
Ron
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Brit: Be careful what you ask for. I have an OPINION on most everything. Whether or not it's good or accurate is something else. In theory, a choke constriction of .012 should give you a light-modified. Briley's choke chart lists a Light Modified in 12ga. as .015 and in a 20ga. as .012. But different guns throw different patterns. Are you modifying the choke on an existing gun?

Matt
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:02 pm  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
Hi Brit: Be careful what you ask for. I have an OPINION on most everything. Whether or not it's good or accurate is something else. In theory, a choke constriction of .012 should give you a light-modified. Briley's choke chart lists a Light Modified in 12ga. as .015 and in a 20ga. as .012. But different guns throw different patterns. Are you modifying the choke on an existing gun?

Matt

Hey Matt

....now we're gettin somewhere, thanks for responding, yes, I have a CYL bbl, that I am actually going to back bore to ADD CHOKE....it has super thick walls, so it can stand to lose a little metal, I would like a LT. MOD choke....in that post above on choke constriction, there is a chart by Colonial Arms that has our beloved 16 at .010 for Skeet II which from what I gather, is about a light mod, yes? So....my question is, what will give me that Lt Mod .010. .011, .012?

Thanks, interested in your opinion,

b'gun...

Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

If I had the machinery, I'd bore it a little, pattern it. Bore it some more, pattern it. Etc...

But, I'd inevitably go too far. They haven't figured out how to put metal back yet, have they?

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:38 pm  Reply with quote

Well if you use the Colonial chart the bore diameter of a 16ga. is .915% of the bore diameter of a 12ga. So if Briley says the Light Modified choke is .015 for a 12 ga. I would multiply .015 by .915 to get .0137. (I'm using the calculator on my phone so you should probably double check this.) I would also double check by comparing the bore diameters between th 16 and the 20. So, .013 - .014 is probably where you want to be?

Matt
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
Well if you use the Colonial chart the bore diameter of a 16ga. is .915% of the bore diameter of a 12ga. So if Briley says the Light Modified choke is .015 for a 12 ga. I would multiply .015 by .915 to get .0137. (I'm using the calculator on my phone so you should probably double check this.) I would also double check by comparing the bore diameters between th 16 and the 20. So, .013 - .014 is probably where you want to be?

Matt

Thanks, will do, narrowing it down......

bustingclays
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:03 pm  Reply with quote

britgun:

fwiw - here is the constrictions I settled on for now in three sxs 16 ga guns - all sent to Mr. Orlen:

1. LC Smith barrels
right barrel – bore .660, current constriction .020 – desired constriction .005
left barrel – bore .659, current constriction .025 – desired constriction .010

1. Fox Sterlingworth barrels
right barrel – bore .660, current constriction .020 – desired constriction .010
left barrel – bore .661, current constriction .034 – desired constriction .017

1. French Guild barrels
right barrel – bore .665, current constriction .021 – desired constriction .005
left barrel – bore .665, current constriction .021 – desired constriction .010

I am PLEASED with the work to say the least. I shot pheasant and quail over pointing labs with the LC in Kansas several weeks ago - worked to perfection. Have shot Ms. Elsie and Ms. Guild at skeet - straights with both already. I have not shot the sterlyworth - receiver in the shop for other barrel fitting.

good luck....

Dr. 16 Gauge
britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:11 pm  Reply with quote

bustingclays wrote:
britgun:

fwiw - here is the constrictions I settled on for now in three sxs 16 ga guns - all sent to Mr. Orlen:

1. LC Smith barrels
right barrel – bore .660, current constriction .020 – desired constriction .005
left barrel – bore .659, current constriction .025 – desired constriction .010

1. Fox Sterlingworth barrels
right barrel – bore .660, current constriction .020 – desired constriction .010
left barrel – bore .661, current constriction .034 – desired constriction .017

1. French Guild barrels
right barrel – bore .665, current constriction .021 – desired constriction .005
left barrel – bore .665, current constriction .021 – desired constriction .010

I am PLEASED with the work to say the least. I shot pheasant and quail over pointing labs with the LC in Kansas several weeks ago - worked to perfection. Have shot Ms. Elsie and Ms. Guild at skeet - straights with both already. I have not shot the sterlyworth - receiver in the shop for other barrel fitting.

good luck....

Dear Doctor,

Thanks, that's about what I shoot in my 16's, too, for birds and clays, maybe mine are even a little more open, but about that.....this particular barrel in question is to be a tad tighter for the No T buckshot coyote loads (lethal to 85+ yards) that Charlie told me about, and said he got his best patterns out of Lt. Modified, so I think I'm going to settle for an .011 to .012, thanks for sharing about those guns, and your choke choices.......sounds like if it flies, it dies, pretty much Very Happy .....nice guns, too.......

You had the luxury of removing existing choke to make your guns more open, while I am going to back bore to create choke where there is none (Straight CYL at present), so to get the .012, say, I'll have to shave about .006 off the walls all around leading up to the choke spot towards muzzle to give me my .012 constriction. Fortunately, there is tons of wall thickness in this old piggy barrel (like .040), so the walls will still be in the low 30's when we're done.... I used to add choke in this way all the time, Skeet's in Oklahoma do the work for me....

...most of the time I'm like you, however, opening old tight chokes!! I actually bought the barrel thinking it was a MOD, but turns out it had been reamed.....I'd send it back if it hadn't been so hard to find in the first place....

Duncan

britgun
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:31 pm  Reply with quote

Ron Overberg wrote:
Duncan,
I'm in trouble now...I can tell. I have an opinion which agrees with yours. The IC at .007 and mod at .015 and SKII at .010 we have an agreement. The numbers are from Mike Orlens choke sheet from Shotgun World web sight. I am always reluctant to express my opinions with out some facts. I guess I came across badly.
Best,
Ron

Naw, you OK Ron, I just needed to know if I was readin it right is all..... to be honest, I had just skimmed that post, and had plum missed the Colonial data, which really showed a lot, after your post suggesting I look there, I went back and found out I had missed some valid stuff........ your opinion is alway highly valued, and most welcome, please.... I'm thinking about maybe even .011 or .012, since it's for Buckshot..... report is the Light MOD throws the best pattern....sorry I seemed grumpy....thanks for letting me know if I was heading in the right direction,

Best regards, with many thanks....

Duncan