16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 Gauge 2 1/2" shells getting real hard to purchase
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Is there a place to purchase 16 gauge 2 1/2" shells, that actually has them in stock right now?

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
FlyChamps
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

RST is the only source I'm aware of at this time and they have none.

I was warned that RST was running low and having issues getting components so I ordered and received 2 flats of 16 gauge from them in early June and they ran out shortly after.

Always maintain a "base load" and add to it as used; for my wife and I this is around 30 flats and we have been able to maintain this so that we still have ammo for all of our guns.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

FlyChamps,

Thanks much for the info, I do have a flat of them left myself, and was looking to purchase more of the RST or Polywad shells. Was hoping one of the outlet stores like Lion Country Supply would have some still in stock, however I purchased the last of the Lion Country supply inventory a while back. If you know of any place else to purchase them please let me know. Sold my MEC a while back so I can not even build my own 2 1/2" shells now.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:30 am  Reply with quote

This is one of the main reasons I keep at least one 12ga around. I have enough 2.5" shells to get me through this season, but after that, if supply doesn't improve, I'll have to resort to shooting a [gasp!] modern gun. Oh, the horror. Laughing

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Swampy16
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:34 am  Reply with quote

This is why my Mec Jr 16 will never leave the bench. I have enough reloads and RST’s to last me 2-3 seasons, at least I hope and that’s with a good bit of shooting.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:14 am  Reply with quote

Swampy16,

I am beginning to believe that selling my MEC may have been a bad idea. I have enough 2 1/2" shell in all different gauges to get me thru the next 4 seasons as long as I do not shoot any clays with them. I do like to shoot clays with my L.C. Smith pre 13 20 & 16 gauge guns, as a tune up for Grouse season. My 28 gauge guns take 2 3/4" & 3" shells, my early L.C. Smith 16 & 20 gauge guns take 2 1/2" shells. RST & Poly need to start making shells again real soon, especially SpredR shells for my M/F choked guns.

If anybody knows were I can purchase some 2 1/2" 16 or 20 gauge shells right now, send me a PM if you do not want the info on the main board.

UncleDanFan,
I have plenty of 12 gauge guns that take 2 3/4"shells and plenty of shells to go with them, I use them for Pheasant hunting, I need the 2 1/2" shells for my L.C. Smith Grouse guns. I should have purchase a couple of flats before this shortage started. Never thought we would have a problem purchasing 2 1/2" shells again, RST & Polywad are great American companies.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Swampy16
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:36 pm  Reply with quote

If I can ever get my basement sorted out after the flood I can load you a few boxes of spreaders and bring them up with me.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 9:16 pm  Reply with quote

Swampy16,

I will definitely pay you for making them, thanks much for the offer. I hope you are able to visit and hunt a few Grouse & Woodcock sometime. Keep in contact.

A very nice offer, thank you very much!

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Swampy16
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 1:50 am  Reply with quote

How often are you up that way? My wife and I may spend a couple days in Wellsboro in the next few weeks.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 9:09 am  Reply with quote

Swampy16,

Drop me some e-mail at pine-creek@live.com and I will bring you up to speed with what is going on at the log cabin.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Swampy16
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

I sent you an email Dave. Also, let me know what size shot you want. I’m going to try to get the basement straightened out.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:14 pm  Reply with quote

Swampy16,

Please send again to pine-creek@live.com, if the - is missing it will not come thru.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Lloyd3
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:27 pm  Reply with quote

Since 2 1/2-inch RST 16s are virtually non-existent for purchase, I have taken a different tact. I have one mixed flat of RSTs 16s at the ready up here and am eagerly awaiting the opener. However, in order to conserve the few shells I have (and...that I may need to last for several seasons now) I have an alternate weapon to go to. My 28-gauge is not my preference for use on upland game for a number of reasons (including tradition) but...it is a modern firearm, it digests modern ammunitions effortlessly, it fits and functions well, carries easily, and I can still find ammo for it (found some today). None of us know when this munitions shortage will end, but it doesn't appear to be anytime soon. If you have an alternate upland gun that you can still supply ammo for, I would suggest that you develop that weapon accordingly. Be it a light 12 (or anything else) it would seem to be prudent to have some options for the coming days.

Emtymag
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 8:51 pm  Reply with quote

Stack it deep when it’s “cheap”, which is always yesterday.

Better to have it and not need than need it and not have it.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 10:14 pm  Reply with quote

Lloyd3,

I have done the same thing and have enough good 28 gauge shells, I could use some more 2 1/2" 20 gauge shells also, for my pre 13 L.C. Smith guns. Stopped shooting clays with them also, to preserve my RST & Poly 20 gauge shells for hunting. Before selling my MEC I rolled a lot of 12 gauge shells for my LeFever & L.C. Smith 12 gauge double guns, no problem in that area what so ever.

Grouse season is coming and I want to purchase more 2 1/2" shells for my Classic American and Best German sub-gauge double guns. Was hoping some sports store might have some RST or Poly shells left in stock.

If Swampy16 can provide some 2 1/2", 16 gauge SpredR shells in 7 1/2, 8's or 6's that will be great. It will elevate my shell shortage for a little while. I definitely should have purchased a couple flats of sub gauge RST & Poly shells prior to the political mess.

What I should also do is purchase another L.C. Smith 20 gauge that was made after 1936 with the 2 3/4" chamber. I do have one Special Order 20 gauge gun that has 2 3/4" chambers, should probably pick up another. Probably should pick up another 16 gauge L.C. Smith made after 1926 with the 2 3/4" chambers also. I can solve my problem by purchasing a couple more good bird guns.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man