16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New Ithaca
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:05 am  Reply with quote

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=97117

The Ithaca forum over at shotgunworld.com has a disturbing report on the latest Ithaca effort.

If you want a 16 gage pump you should place your order for a BPS.
Brett257
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:45 am  Reply with quote

I plan on ordering a BPS, because I'm not willing to wait or pay that price for an Ithaca 37. Last time I talked to them they were friendly, but they wanted $800 for a 16ga.

I'll go with the BPS.

-Brett
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:40 am  Reply with quote

After reviewing the posts on the above site, I think these folks are going off half-cocked. I would not count the Ithaca 37 down for the count just yet. I can certainly understand why a company that manufactures guns gettin the hell out of Ohio due to the political atmosphere there. Many American gun companies have crossed the Mason-Dixon line including Ruger and Remington.

It is not just the cost of labor. Southern workers are not cheap anymore. It just makes sence to move to a part of the country where your efforts are appreciated and where the anti-gun clowns in government can't wack you around for their own purposes.

I do know from speaking to the head man himself earlier this year, that the company is developing a scaled down 28 ga. Model 37 and most probably, a .410 too. Since I already own a couple of 16 ga 37 guns, I'm waiting to see the little 28 and .410 models.

Just let things go as the y go and keep your eyes peeled and your ear to the ground. Its all too easy to nay say. Who'd have thunk we's even have a 16 ga BPS to buy--but we darned sure do. Keep the faith. Wink
Scolari
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:51 am  Reply with quote

I hate to say it but $800 is way too much for a pump gun. At least for me. i bought an Ithaca new a few years ago and paid $525. Whats the big price increase about. I would say they will not sell well for that price. Too much competition. The Browning sounds like a better deal.
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:18 pm  Reply with quote

I would love a scaled down 410 pump but $800 for a few bucks more I could find a model 42. I'd like to see Ithaca get back into doubles there are just so many nice used 37's out there. Pumps just aren't very popular most people want doubles and auto's. Now if they could make a sxs for under $2000 they could sell some guns I've never understood why it cost more to produce a sxs compared to a o/u.
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:15 pm  Reply with quote

Matt, one big reason sxs cost more is volume. OU's are both target guns and field guns. You come up with one design, all you do is scale it down a bit and you turn the target gun into a lighter field gun. SxS, basically all you're going to sell are field guns. Nobody makes and sells sxs in any kind of volume, compared to OU's.
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

But it just ain't fair.
Grousen
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:52 pm  Reply with quote

I visited Ithaca Guns USA on Friday, Jan. 26, 2007. Sandy Marshall could not have been friendlier and more hospitable. What a super gal!

I saw their product and was very favorably impressed. So I bought one from a dealer who had two on order that had not been spoken for.

Importantly, Mrs. Marshall stated they just may be staying in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, or elswhere in Ohio. The move to Georgia is not etched in stone at this time. Still alot going on behind the scenes.

After seeing their product, and speaking with the family, I am more than ever hoping Ithaca Guns USA prospers

Scolari- I too have concerns about Ithaca being competitive at their price. But I for one am willing to pay for quality and to help this Old American gun company stay American. But I can tell you that in my opinion their product is far superior to the one you purchased. I don't know what the Remington 870 Wingmaster is selling for these days, but it is not an apples for apples comparison between Ithaca Guns USA and the Remington 870 Expresses or Mossbergs.
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:01 am  Reply with quote

I had a love hate relationship with the model 37, I love them as a light hunting weapon. On the other hand as a duty weapon I hated them, to many problems. To complicated of a design, to much maintenance, to light for 00 buck, to many safety problems no easy way to check the chamber, to many rounds falling out the bottom. I'll never forget a buddy of mine cussing out his 37. A guy was up on a balcony shooting at him and my buddy's 37 jams he just looks at it and starts to cussing at it and finally throws it in the dirt and pulls a far more reliable service weapon. With no ejection port no way to clear a jam. Thank god for most of my career I was issued an 870. Not much fun to carry very far but boy was it dependable. The only time I had one fail to feed was on a over sized round and I was able to quickly clear it.
Birdswatter
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:14 am  Reply with quote

I also prefer the 870 for duty use, although I carried the 37 for years without a single problem. And Matt, you know very well that when you rack the action on either one at 0300 in the bad streets, everyone pays attention! Wink Most of our 37's have been converted to less-lethal (beanbag) shooters.

For birds though, I will certainly give one of the new 37 16's a workout when they become available.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:30 am  Reply with quote

[quote="Grousen"]I visited Ithaca Guns USA on Friday, Jan. 26, 2007. Sandy Marshall could not have been friendlier and more hospitable. What a super gal!

Importantly, Mrs. Marshall stated they just may be staying in Upper Sandusky, Ohio, or elswhere in Ohio. The move to Georgia is not etched in stone at this time. Still alot going on behind the scenes.

quote]

That statement is not encouraging. It sounds as if whoever purchased Ithaca from the Marshall's doesn't have a sound business plan either.

Truth be told there is little hope of any new Ithaca making it. The only blued steel and walnut gun I see for sale these days is the BPS. Remington has priced the Wingmaster in auto territory. I don't believe there is enuff volume for a $800 pump gun to make a viable business. The fact that the new Ithaca is apparently in some kind of limbo right now also doesn't bode well.