16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  My New SxS
Zrexxer
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

I have been wanting a SxS since I was in my 20's, and that's been well, decades... ago. So I figured I better get busy if I was ever going to make it happen.

I clicked on a Gunbroker link in another thread, which led me to something else, which led me to something else, and eventually I saw a listing for a CZ Sharp-Tail in 16 gauge. I noticed that the dealer was only about 2-1/2 hours from me, so I called him yesterday to confirm availability and drove over today to buy it.

Of course it's not a 5-figure shotgun like the beauties some of you guys have, but I'm very pleased with it for the price point. As someone whose first shotgun as a kid was a bolt-action .410, this feels pretty darn elegant to me Very Happy

I'm trying to use IMGUR and not that familiar with it, so let me know if the pictures are fubar'd.

Last edited by Zrexxer on Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

hoashooter
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:00 pm  Reply with quote

I once owned a CZ Ringneck in 16.Well made shotgun.Enjoy
BWW
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

I also have a case colored gun from CZ in 16. Hunted exclusively with it last pheasant and quail season. 60 days in all.
Never a problem! Always got a lot of remarks about a SxS, then they found out it was a 16 ga they were blown away. Idaho tends to be 12 ga country.
Use it and enjoy!
Bob
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

Looks good, congratulations!
hayseed
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

Good for you. Wishing you many long years of enjoyment.
xpert16
PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Very nice looking CZ. I’ve not held one yet.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:27 am  Reply with quote

Very nice! Shoot it long and well Very Happy !

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Zrexxer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:42 am  Reply with quote

One thing that I've noticed while playing with it over the last day is that it's HEAVY, which I'm sure is a function of the lower price. I finally put it on my digital scale today, and empty it weighs 7.7 lbs, which is quite a bit heavier than the manufacturer's quoted 7.3 lbs.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

Congrats on the new gun!

I purchased one a few years back when CZ had the military\LEO program and would allow you to order directly through them at a pretty good discount.

Shooting 5 stand with it noticed it was piercing primers about 1 in every 3 or 4. Called them and they sent me an email with a shipping label. Didn't cost me anything to send it to them or have them send it back. Turn around was about 2 weeks, that is customer service all the way around. Note said firing pins were too long and they trimmed and timed them.

Several have complained about the trigger pull being too heavy. And have read of those that have called and CZ would take them in and cut it down to ~5 pounds for free. I had John Singer on here cut my stock and install a Kick EEZ pad on mine and also tune the trigger, he took the creep out of it and lightened it.

Bought it for clays, as you noticed it is a bit heavy LOL. Built on a 12 ga. frame with a lot of meat on the bbls. The extra weight is good for clays however and what attracted me to it. Have a lot of 6 pound 16 ga. guns for hunting but not something I want to bang at a lot of clays with.

Turns out my barrels which are supposed to be choked IC\Mod were .001 and .011. Which is great for grouse hunting not so much for clays. I did carry it for grouse hunting a couple of times and shot at 3 and killed all 3. I seem to shoot it well. Ended up sending it to Colonial to have it tubed and picked up a pair of SK chokes and a pair of SK2 (LM) chokes for it. Now I can use it for skeet or sporting clays. Didn't want to spend Briley type of money on it and first time using Colonial. They were half the price of Briley.

Good luck and shoot it often and may you shoot it well!
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

Evening Cold Iron!

I bought my son a CZ Bobwhite G2 last year and thought that for the money, you couldn't beat it. Adult dimensions, English stock/splinter, 2 triggers, decent weight, 28-tubes, choke tubes and even steel rated (!). The 20-bore version should be a fairly decent upland gun at ~6 lbs. It's going north with me this year so my boy can shoot both grouse and waterfowl if he wants. The triggers were pretty bad initially, but CZ took care of them forthwith and they're quite decent now.

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:41 am  Reply with quote

I don't have any CZ shotguns, though I've handled them. They are good guns and good value for the money.

I can say my CZ452 .22 is one great rifle. A group of shooters from a couple clubs shot in a mildly competitive meet a few weeks back, using the NRA Winchester Matches rules. I came in with a 187/200 average. I was behind only another CZ shooter, who came in with a 191/200 average.