16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Is the Supersizer Worth the Price?
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:55 pm  Reply with quote

Winchester21 -- Use a dental pick, or some other thin, strong poker with a sorta right right turn at the business end. You can get them cheap in various places. You can reach down in between the collet petals and into the rim recess and poke and drag out junk. Also use it to clean up extra lube after greasing the collet closing surfaces. I lube the collet on a Grabber or 9000 using a small screwdriver (1/8" wide) as a little trowel to spread CMD Extreme Pressure Lube #3 on each petal of the collet. Just a little dab'l do ya. Lube sparingly, most of it is sheared off the first time you cycle the collet. Over-lubing any reloader is an invitation to make an abrasive paste of wayward powder flakes which can contain hard carbon, and trap shot in places it shouldn't be. You do not want this stuff between the petals of the collet. Do not use thin lubes or spray lubes anywhere on any reloader. Use this thick Extreme Press Lube #3 on places where it must hang in there and not drain off -- see link below -- great stuff also good to lube the pivots of your hard-used, expensive target over/under, and to lube dead centers on your metal lathe. For other areas on your loaders, lube with 90 wt. extreme pressure gear oil, like you might put in the differential of your car. Dispense it carefully with an oil can or a dip can. More loaders are gummed up and worn out by over-lubrication than by under-lubrication.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Dart-CMD-Extreme-Pressure-Lube,105207.html?sku=910304&utm_medium=CSEGoogle&utm_source=CSE&utm_campaign=CSEGOOGLE&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1IGK2Nv68gIVg7LICh2G9ATbEAQYASABEgIisfD_BwE
Winchester21
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:25 pm  Reply with quote

Max-Stroke.
Thanks for your input. Most of what you said I already knew (e.g., picking out the shot and powder with thin sharp tools and the use of a heavy grease) but your info on other greases was helpful. I've had my Supersizer for 40+ yrs and it is easy to use and almost necesssary when using multiple guns of the same gauge.
When I had only one 20ga O/U I never had to worry about sizing the brass head, but as soon as I got an Auto5 20ga I had to resize the heads or segregate the hulls, which was a pain in the ass.
I've only had to disassemble my 12ga Grabber's head sizing tool twice in 35yrs because I pay attention to what might have fallen into it. A friend of mine wasn't so attentive and ruined the sizer on his 28ga Grabber because of the shot that fell between the fingers and he didn't clean it out.
Yesterday I resized 7-800 hulls (28 & 16ga) in an hour and half with the Supersizer. Yes, it's an extra step but it pays off in the long run for me.