16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  7/8 oz Red Dot: Good Preliminary Results
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:02 am  Reply with quote

As posted here earlier, we were looking for a 7/8 oz Red Dot load at 1225+ FPS. We basically achieved it in our very first try.

An array of 7/8 oz loads were prepared from 15 gr to 19 gr Red Dot in half grain increments, using 2 1/2” Herters hulls with SG16S wads and Rio Primers. The fit was perfect with no filler or cards. Surprise! The 15 gr loads hit 1225 FPS right on the button with excellent consistency.

I might as well have stopped right there, but out of curiosity I continued the testing with the M12 and Chrony. Each half grain increment gave increased muzzle velocity. At 17 gr it topped 1300 FPS, but with very wide velocity spread and excessive muzzle blast. We didn’t need either of that, so I ceased the tests.

We’ll likely go with the closest MEC bushing on the upside of 15 gr, so a couple boxes will be loaded and tested for velocities and patterns, and on clay targets. I expect to confirm our preliminary results, which we are quite pleased with so far.

V/R
B.
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:51 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11
I load the exact same load in brass for 16, and use fiber wads. It patterns great. Very nice load. Your patterns should be very good at 30-40 yards. I usually use a Winchester or Federal 209.
DanLee
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:10 am  Reply with quote

For years my skeet load for use in a Sweet Sixteen was 16 grains Red Dot under 1 oz No. 9 shot. Later I went to 20 grains Green Dot under 7/8 oz shot. This cycles the action reliably. Long-recoil guns have parameters of shot weight and velocity that have to be met; as shot weight goes down, velocity has to go up. It won't matter with a gas gun as long as pressure requirement is met.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

Went through a couple boxes at the trap range and shot a few rounds at the pattern board today with excellent results. 7/8 oz doesn’t break targets with quite the authority of 1 oz loads but thoroughly splatters the targets if I get a good look and steady swing. And there’s no slap on the cheek from the little M12 like with the 1 oz loads. I can shoot it all day long.

The 7/8 oz patterns are outstanding, more uniform and a little tighter than 1 oz. Curiously, the POI is an inch or two higher than 1 oz loads at 16 yds. I was expecting the opposite.

All in all the 7/8 oz Ref Dot load will be an excellent option for my clay target use, especially with the lightweight 16 ga repeaters.

V/ R
B.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:50 pm  Reply with quote

I've tried Red Dot w/several 2 3/4" hulls with no luck.I would like to have your load pressure checked----just to be sure.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:29 am  Reply with quote

yeah , I woulda stopped right at your 1st load .

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

I shoot a similar load, but with Green Dot, as my "back up" load in the tight barrel when I hunt blue grouse. 7/8 oz. is a pleasant load for close to mid range shots on any bird. The mild recoil is nice too.