16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Older euro hulls - attention member casebro
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:44 am  Reply with quote

Several months ago there was a thread started by casebro concerning euro hulls not ejecting/extracting. Member casebro had a solution of heating the hull in water to make the plastic basewad soft allowing the metal head to be resized quite a bit smaller.

I basically disagreed with the whole concept and still do. However......

I have recently been having the odd failure to eject with my 16 gauge 1100 and multi-fired/reloaded RIO and Cheddite hulls. The RIO's have been fired 3 to 4 times and the Cheddites 5 to 6 times.

The 7/8 oz. load has been tested and the pressure is 8,000 PSI give or take, which is on the low side for my liking but, it isn't an over-pressure issue.

It seems that the crimp end of these hulls are the issue. After reloading the shells drop into the chamber easily, but when they are fired they expand at the crimp end and stay expanded creating just enough friction to not eject.

My solution is to toss the hulls because I can't be bothered to fuss around with them......I would rather be hunting and/or breaking clays.

Just something that has shown up since I have been shooting my 1100 for sporting a lot more than I used to and these hulls seemed to have out lived their useful life......at least for me.

If this was the cause for casebro and me to have a disagreement I do apologize.

I have not had this problem occur with Federal, Remington or Winchester 2 piece plastic hulls.

I have installed a new extractor and spring in this shotgun, just to be sure it isn't the shotgun.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:51 am  Reply with quote

I believe you are totally onto this Mark .... We have had this problem with Estate and Fio factories even . What I saw with reloading those , was the folds were still in on the 1 ozers , and flat out wide with reg trap loads . The anomaly was they were loaded with light reloads . The 1 oz cases came out fine and the trap cases wanted to grab . Mostly out of a 12ga 1100 .

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:25 am  Reply with quote

16gaDavis,

Hmmmm, you know I never had an issue with these hulls and 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz. loads.

This has shown up since I started shooting these 7/8 oz. loads.

Something to think about.

I am going to hold off tossing these otherwise good hulls and load them with 1 oz. of shot when I can get some Unique/Universal powder. The lack of those powders was the reason I went to 7/8 oz. loads to begin with, as I had plenty of 700-X.

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:47 am  Reply with quote

Mark , some of this just seems to be on the crazy / weird category . the only reason i even noticed was I was reffing one of the Fio episodes and They were shooting both . one of the shooters was saving them for me , so it was easy to keep the empties in separate groups .... The other times , Parsons and his merry men were shooting both Fio and Estate , and they had enough troubles in their 1100's , they gave 2/3 of a flat away of leftover shells . The crimp shoulders were a little different in the different loads , but you'd think the shell pressure would iron the shoulder out . Just weird ! I know we've pretty well beat this up ! stuff happens I guess !