16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  870 16 ga on 20ga frame campaign
Setterchaser
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:41 am  Reply with quote

While I am not overly optimistic about customers being able to influence a corporation (one way or the other) I have started posting "go for it" notes on the Remington "Help Center" to campaign for Remington to build a 16 ga 870 on their 20 gauge frame. Maybe when you feel like it, you could add your own voice to this cry in the wilderness. Hey, If Browning is doing it why not Remington?
Scolari
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:53 am  Reply with quote

How about a 16 gauge on a LT 20 gauge frame. I would like that even better.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

Been there. Done that. Like talking to a dinosaur's posterior. The head does not even know you exist until it accidently steps on you.Rolling Eyes

Remington's upper corporate staff is an inner club much too isolated from the lower echelon to even get the word. They like the rare atmosphere at the top just like it is. The static quo pleases them fine. They can't be bothered with such humdrum stuff as listening to what their customers want. They hire folks for that. It also interferes with what they think we want. The folks at the bottom are too job scared to make waves by suggesting something as raduical as a new idea.

However, I agree. Keep trying. If they do, the 1100 is sure to follow. That would be a sweety. But its like chipping at granite with a pin punch.
trust me
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:38 pm  Reply with quote

Location: On the banks of the North Fork of the Kentucky River

Forget a 16 ga shotgun, or any practical firearm for that matter. What we really need is an electric-ignition centerfire rifle with expensive, hard to find ammo. That would be just the ticket, don't you think? Or maybe a titanium frame shotgun that weighs better than 7 pounds and cost over a grand!

Remington, like Ford Motor Company, will just keep hammering those square pegs into round holes until a foreign entity buys their dessicated carcasses. At least somebody at Browning at least actually spoke to a firearms enthusiast and jotted down some notes at some point.

britgun
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:19 pm  Reply with quote

Setterchaser wrote:
While I am not overly optimistic about customers being able to influence a corporation (one way or the other) I have started posting "go for it" notes on the Remington "Help Center" to campaign for Remington to build a 16 ga 870 on their 20 gauge frame. Maybe when you feel like it, you could add your own voice to this cry in the wilderness. Hey, If Browning is doing it why not Remington?

Pray tell, which gun has Browning done this with, and how much does it cost us?

britgun

xtimberman
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:25 am  Reply with quote

The best thing 16 ga. fans can do is to help Browning find a home for every shotgun in that gauge that they manufacture. Sales #s get the attention of top brass. When 16s lose the reputation of being a dwindling niche market item and appear to have the potential to make them some $$, the big manufacturers will hop on the train.

If you know someone who's looking for a nice college graduation present, anniversary gift, or the like, and a shotgun is being considered - talk up that 16ga. Citori and its versatility and help 'em find one to examine. I did just that once last month and plan to do it again if the opportunity arises. We need to support those manufacturers who offer the products we ask for.

xtm
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:01 pm  Reply with quote

xtimberman wrote:
...talk up that 16ga. Citori...

Talk up the new 16ga BPS, also!
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:37 am  Reply with quote

trust me wrote:
Forget a 16 ga shotgun, or any practical firearm for that matter. What we really need is an electric-ignition centerfire rifle with expensive, hard to find ammo. That would be just the ticket, don't you think? Or maybe a titanium frame shotgun that weighs better than 7 pounds and cost over a grand!

Remington, like Ford Motor Company, will just keep hammering those square pegs into round holes until a foreign entity buys their dessicated carcasses. At least somebody at Browning at least actually spoke to a firearms enthusiast and jotted down some notes at some point.

Have you seen the MSRP in the 2007 price list for the 105CTI? IIRC it's over $1500. Heck, I can buy Benelli's for that kind of money and they are proven guns and lighter to boot. I won't consider the 105CTI as proven until a half dozen years have passed.

BTW, I contacted Remington about a 16 model 1100 on the 20 gage frame a while back and got a response that basically said it ain't never gonna happen.
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:14 am  Reply with quote

....so what we are really looking for here is a lightweight 16 auto or pump that is built on a true 16 ga frame, or on a 20 bore frame (like the pre-64 Model 12 by Win).....mine weighs real close to 6 pounds, 26" bbl, I removed the buttplate and drilled some wood out of there to further lighten it..... maybe we need to look back instead of forward to find what we need and desire in the field?? There are still some good deals on field grade model 12's, and they are nice to carry all day, and shoot well, too... and they can be tweaked to suit....(like hollowing stock, shaving some off the outside to fit the face a little better).....and they hold a good Tung oil finish for years and years.... they'll be cheaper to buy than any new gun we could ever (never?) convince a major maker to knock out.....

gentlemen, I offer a Plan B.....

brit

BUCKSHOT
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:31 am  Reply with quote

onefunzr2 wrote:
xtimberman wrote:

When I find a barrel maker (gunsmith) that can put a flatter rib on the barrel. This will be My next pump.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/itemdetails.asp?value=011B&cat_id=012&type_id=216&item=012216514
britgun
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:10 am  Reply with quote

BUCKSHOT wrote:
onefunzr2 wrote:
xtimberman wrote:

When I find a barrel maker (gunsmith) that can put a flatter rib on the barrel. This will be My next pump.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/itemdetails.asp?value=011B&cat_id=012&type_id=216&item=012216514

kinda heavy, in spite of the 20 bore frame, nice on targets, clunker in the field (unless you're shootin out of the pick up bed....)

Pleasant Ridge
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:59 am  Reply with quote

Don't hold your breath. Like someone has already said. Remington is getting pretty well known for trying to put a square peg in a round hole. Why would they do something that would sale to the common man. I will buy a BPS and do what I can to bring the weight below the 6.5 pound range. I once owned a BPS 12 Gauge upland special with the stock shortened to 13.75 and had some interior wood removed the gun weighed a little over 7 pounds. Although the gun was a little heavy for my use, looking back I wish I still owned the gun.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

clayflingythingy wrote:
Have you seen the MSRP in the 2007 price list for the 105CTI? IIRC it's over $1500. Heck, I can buy Benelli's for that kind of money and they are proven guns and lighter to boot. I won't consider the 105CTI as proven until a half dozen years have passed.

BTW, I contacted Remington about a 16 model 1100 on the 20 gage frame a while back and got a response that basically said it ain't never gonna happen.

This would be exactly why Remington continues to keep sliding as a gun company and losing money and customers year after year. I don't think they have had an gun that responds to what people want since the 1960's and the 1100 and 870 came out. They need to focus on doing some good market research to figure out what the demands are, manufacture some good guns to meet those demands, and when introducing new models (such as the ill-fated 870 and 1100 16ga guns), work to make them reliable guns with features that people enjoy shooting and carrying. I don't think the CTI is going to cut it. Although, I do like some of the new Sporting 1100 models.

I was halfway considering a CTI, until the price and reliablity reports came out and since handling both the "new" Classic 16ga 870 and 1100 on the 12 gauge frame have been extremely disappointed with both. This is coming from someone who grew up with an 1100 and have always loved that gun.

Sad, really. I wish Remington could do better.

KB