16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Favorite way to carry shells.
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:00 am  Reply with quote

LL Bean P'tridge vests. I have a cloth one and a waxed cotton one that I use the most.
Skeet Sporting clays I use a Cabelas cloth one I cant get rid of but its probably time. Ducks and geese I use my blind bag maybe a few in my pockets
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:15 am  Reply with quote

I used to have a Filson strap vest, but the metal buckles on the strap scratched my guns. No bueno. I use a cabelas strap vest now, but will upgrade soon. Need something to manage my gps and e-collar receivers better. For ducks, I hunt in my aquapod layout boat, so I just use plastic shell boxes.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
silverbowff
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Checkout the Pineo Avatar Hunting Vest. Dogs Unlimited has them in their 2021-2022 Big Book Catalog and on the website.

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:07 pm  Reply with quote

Many excellent strap vests referenced above in posts, but unfortunately they are not legal here in WA for upland game as they don’t meet hunter orange requirements. Only the full upper body vests will meet the specs.

B.
BWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster11 wrote:
Many excellent strap vests referenced above in posts, but unfortunately they are not legal here in WA for upland game as they don’t meet hunter orange requirements. Only the full upper body vests will meet the specs.

B.

Wow! Not even the new Chief Upland vest?
I have one on order to try out. I have tried out 2 others and had to either sell them or send them back. They just have not had the right stuff in the right places. None of them are cheap, though.

Bob
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:31 pm  Reply with quote

silverbowff wrote:
Checkout the Pineo Avatar Hunting Vest. Dogs Unlimited has them in their 2021-2022 Big Book Catalog and on the website.

Great looking vest. Unfortunately, it doesn't have an inner belt to take the weight off of the shoulders. After a few hours on a long 5-10 mile hunt, my shoulders ache like crazy with a vest without a waist belt.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:34 am  Reply with quote

Does anyone use a 5 shot saddle ,either leather or nylon, for attaching to the offside of your stock? If you do,do you lose shells and do you think it aids in a quicker reload?

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:28 am  Reply with quote

I like to carry mine in the gun !!

ROMAC
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:06 am  Reply with quote

I hear you about the Filson strap vest scratching.

I put camo felt tape made for sound dampening bow rests on my buckles to avoid that issue.

You can just see the tape in this picture.

[/url]
McKenzie River
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:13 pm  Reply with quote

Filson strap vest,no metal on mine.
McKenzie River
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:14 pm  Reply with quote

Filson strap vest,no metal on mine.
mcrewz
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:09 am  Reply with quote

I second the wings works vest. I’ve had mine over 10 years and it is still wearing in. It’s used about 50 days a year between training and hunting. I’ve made a few modifications (which I think are now standard or at least options). Ive sewn retention straps over the water bottles (I’ve lost more than a few when I’ve had to run in my vest) I’ve sewn a 5 shell elastic holder made for stocks on the out side flap of the pockets. And I have cut and then hemmed the sides of the pockets so the openings are not so tight.

Mike
Cass
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

This is the best shell pouch I have used. I bought it at Oshman's many years ago, but it doesn't have a manufacturers name on it.

The pouches are sewn integral to the belt, so they conform to the hips and don't move around like the belts with separate pockets. It's cordura nylon with vinyl lining inside the pouches.

I remember thinking at the time that it was over priced (just over $10, ha!), but it's been indestructible. I would like to find another one like it, but haven't found one built the same.

If anyone knows where I can find another, please let me know.

Cass

Beagleman
PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:21 pm  Reply with quote

IF I am hunting quail, doves or shooting with a break open gun, I either care the shell in my shell bag on my left side or in the left pocket of my hunting vest. I open all break open guns with my right hand and load with my left. When shooting doves there is nothing I prefer better than a Browning Double Automatic. It also loads best left handed with practice. By the way ,i am right handed and shoot right handed...

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:49 pm  Reply with quote

Favorite way to carry shells? Believe it or not, in the front pockets of my pants. I find I can access them quicker and easier that way.

For bird bags, I wear a custom waist back I built, not a vest or a pack, since I don't like a sweaty back. Today I began working on a prototype vest/pack since nothing on the market does a good job of sweat management. More to come on this in the future, let's just say it is something that can carry a lot of weight comfortably and has useful features missing on current products. This is something I just do, when I can't find a product to satisfy a specific need, I invent things.