16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  double vs single trigger
Savage16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:42 am  Reply with quote

About a year ago a bought a single trigger SxS thinking I could use it late season when thicker gloves are needed and double trigger guns cant be used because of the thicker gloves. This is the only single trigger SxS I have. I know its common that people think they could never run a double trigger gun, but I'm having the opposite occur. It doesnt happen on clays, but once last December and once this week I found myself trying to pull the back of the trigger guard for a second shot on live birds. Ive never had the problem with my OU single trigger gun. Anybody have similar issues?

Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:10 am  Reply with quote

Yes, I have four double trigger sxs guns that I use most. When I get out my CZ Ringneck, which was my first sxs and a good skeet gun, The first target I swing on I am reaching for that front trigger that is missing Embarassed

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:03 pm  Reply with quote

I prefer the instant choice available with a double trigger, but it can lead to problems of taking a shot and then having to remember instantaneously for the second shot if I need to go forward or back for the trigger. With clay targets I am prepared for the situation - it's the live birds that surprise me that causes the issues- so I suppose both type triggers have their strong and weak points- probably more weak points with the operator than with the trigger- at least in my case.
airmedic1
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 3:27 pm  Reply with quote

I seldom shoot a single trigger gun but when I do, I frequently pull my finger out of the guard and try to insert it behind the trigger. If I am concentrating, I can avoid this but if a bird startles me it happens almost every time.

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

I've never had any trouble going back and forth between double and single triggers.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 5:59 pm  Reply with quote

I'm same as double vision.which ever gun I pick, single or double trigger just comes natural to me. Never had thought of it.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

Prefer double triggers, but have never had a problem going back and forth from double trigger side by side to single trigger over and under. Though I wish my Father’s Browning Superposed had double triggers, and it was a 16 instead of 12.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:16 am  Reply with quote

I never have that problem......I only shoot single trigger, single barrel shotguns.

One barrel, one trigger, no confusion.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 4:21 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
I never have that problem......I only shoot single trigger, single barrel shotguns.

One barrel, one trigger, no confusion.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Barbarian!
beretta_shooter916
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

I grew up on autos, used to bang bang bang. Got into O/U with single trigger bang bang. Have tried SxS with 2 triggers. May as well give me a single shot. I own one SxS its a Beretta with a single trigger.

My dad prefers double trigger but thats what he grew up with.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2021 9:44 pm  Reply with quote

Reading these reminded me of back when I'd go duck/goose hunting (when lead shot was legal). I had an A5 12ga 2 3/4". since i had two different loads, one for ducks, one for geese rather than be changing out the shells as the birds were approaching, I borrowed a pump 12 ga so that I could have one loaded for ducks, the other for geese. I recall several times if I was shooting the pump that I'd keep pressing the trigger expecting it to fire and other time I'd fire then pull on the fore end of the A5 trying to eject the shell. Seems to me I decided to just take the A5 and shoot 2 shot magnums regardless whether it was ducks or geese.
Roadkill
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:50 pm  Reply with quote

I'm a fan of the DT. All seven of my sxs guns are DT, as is one of my o/u guns.
If I still could hunt, though, I'd likely pick a pump gun. Nowadays I just shoot clays in reasonable weather so the glove thing isn't an issue.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:29 am  Reply with quote

I've enjoyed my double trigger shotguns, down to one now. Truth is they are very, very seldom a factor in typical upland hunting, proven by all the autos and SST O/U's in the field.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:45 am  Reply with quote

double vision,

Yikes you can't say that in this crowd.

Every bird harvested is a result of folks having a choice of trigger and choke. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh lest I forget, under 6 lbs. and 26" barrels are also huge factors. Cool Cool

.....and yes I am a barbarian, for shooting, of all things, a 7 lb. 10 oz. 16 gauge 1100 built on a 12 gauge frame.....oh yeah and ported.

Horrors!!

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:01 am  Reply with quote

Hunting birds over my three GSPs, the single trigger, either selective or non-selective, is for me the simplest and easiest trigger to use. The right and then left barrel is appropriate for nearly every upland hunting situation. On the rare occasion the the tighter choke is needed, I simply blow through the right barrel to get the desired choke. Surprisingly, quite often the looser choke does the job even on those long shots. What I do find to be a disadvantage is the inertia trigger on a delayed covey flush where you have the gun broken open to reload from shooting the early birds and the rest of the covey launches. Slamming the gun closed results in a click on the empty barrel and then nothing. The trigger I actually prefer on my hunting SXSs is a non-selective mechanical trigger and of course ejectors to speed up those reloads.