16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Potter County, Pa Grouse & Woodcock Season opener/close
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:56 pm  Reply with quote

Swampy16,

Way to warm here today 72 degrees, 2 solid points in 2 1/2 hours. Grouse busting 50 yards out even after being pinned nicely by the pup, no shots today at all. Lots of hunters Deer, Bear and Grouse hunters in the woods stirring the forest up, our Shine Hollow covert parking areas looked like a RGS convention.

Our Grodon pup did a great job pinning singles, unfortunately the birds busted as we walked toward them every time.

We returned to pick up some meds in Wellsboro for my sinus infection.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.c. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Swampy16
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

I hope your infection and the hunting gets better Dave. Sounds like a big change from last year.
boon hogganbeck
PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:00 pm  Reply with quote

Well, I got my radiator fixed... the car ain't pretty but she'll get me to the covers. Weather looks good for tomorrow.
boon hogganbeck
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

I had high hopes but the weatherman lied... Supposedly a 20% chance and overcast, turned to steady, drizzling rain all day. Got soaked there in the thick stuff. We fought it until about 12:30 then quit to go home & carve pumpkins with the kid. Even so, we had 4 wild flushes, 0 points. Hard to fault the dog, I'm sure scenting conditions were terrible. We also heard a drummer in the far end of a cover, but the sky opened up & we never found that one.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:58 pm  Reply with quote

Not much talk out of Potter County. The hunting must be really good, or really awful.
dap
PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Swampy16 wrote:
Not much talk out of Potter County. The hunting must be really good, or really awful.

The reports I'm getting are indicating the latter.
boon hogganbeck
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:41 pm  Reply with quote

dap wrote:
Swampy16 wrote:

How much of that do you think is weather-related, though? Had a soaking rain every weekend here... My flush rates are half what they were last year, but I haven't had a single day where the dog could really work, so I hesitate to make a judgment yet...
Gran16
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

Another wash out of a weekend under way. Just a little north of you guys, I’ve been fishing more than hunting but the rain has screwed that up too.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:19 pm  Reply with quote

boon hogganbeck wrote:
dap wrote:
Swampy16 wrote:

How much of that do you think is weather-related, though? Had a soaking rain every weekend here... My flush rates are half what they were last year, but I haven't had a single day where the dog could really work, so I hesitate to make a judgment yet...

I think the rain is a huge factor, but they’re still there somewhere. Change up your tactics. Hunt the complete opposite of what you normally would.
boon hogganbeck
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2021 6:22 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="Swampy16"][quote="boon hogganbeck"]
dap wrote:
Swampy16 wrote:

I think the rain is a huge factor, but they’re still there somewhere. Change up your tactics. Hunt the complete opposite of what you normally would.

Yeah, I am finding more birds in scrubby pine and oak stuff, "dirty woods," which produced very little for me last year.

...hunting that stuff is so messy & wet I might as well jump in the river first & just get it over with.

By the way, I am finding incredible amounts of bear sign wherever I go. Might be a banner year for the bear hunters.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:29 am  Reply with quote

Funny, I’m hearing the same. We hunt 500 acres in northern pa and they’re not seeing that many deer but the bears are everywhere .
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:36 am  Reply with quote

we live in Ontario co , and the cabin in So Steuben . Can't get a break with the rain - never seen anything like it ! We just got 4'' Tues and at least 2'' out of this event . We have Canandaigua outlet in the back yard - highest I've ever seen . Even spring run off . ... Steuben was in a flood watch area again yesterday - I'll need an airboat . Was seeing plenty of deer and bears earlier , not much of anything for birds ! (no ducks either ) Geese up the wazoo !

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:58 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Rained again most all day yesterday and still raining this morning here in Potter/Tioga. We have had 2 days in the last 14 with sun shine. Extremely wet here in our mountains, and I do believe it is effecting our Grouse population in a negative manner. From over a 4 bird an hour flush rate in 2020, to a 2 bird an hour flush rate 2021, not a good sigh for sure. I believe our young bird population has suffered greatly.

If and when we dry out we will have a better look at the actual flush rate, no Woodcock flight yet either.

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Swampy16
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2021 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

I just spent three days in the Dacks and only two woodcock. I don’t shoot them so it doesn’t bother me but I’d say the flight either hasn’t gotten heavy yet or they already went through which I doubt. Grouse numbers were great on Thursday but then the weather did a 180 and went down hill. No flushes at all today. I think they either stayed in the roost or they were wet and just let me walk right on by. Thursday I heard over 30 drummers. It was crazy !
boon hogganbeck
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2021 7:33 am  Reply with quote

Yeah, this weather has been pretty demoralizing... Soaking rain yesterday. Thought we might find a window in the rain. Had the dog on the ground for 3 hours and change before we finally pulled the plug. 0 bird contacts. Thought we'd get some wild flushes in the pine scrub at least. It took me until January to get a goose-egg day last season; I didn't expect one in October. My flush rates are dismal.

I might have a little time off work on Tues, hoping for a little dry weather so I can try for a local woodcock safari.