16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  L.C. Smith Specialty Grade
nj gsp
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:58 pm  Reply with quote

The LC Smith Specialty Grade I won at Poulin's auction a couple of weeks ago arrived at my FFL today. This gun was part of the collection of the late Mr. Tom Leavitt, who was a member of this forum.

This gun was made in either 1922, or 1949 - either date fits the model and serial number, and perhaps I will order a reference letter from the LC Smith Collector's Association.

Choked Cyl/Ic, 26" Nitro steel barrels, single trigger, non-automatic safety, and ejectors. I haven't measured the chambers yet, but I'll guess 2-9/16". Weight on my scale is 6 lbs 8.5 oz, which may be a tad heavy for a grouse gun compared to my #0 frame Parker 16 gauge, and AH Fox A grade 16 gauge which are each 3/4 lb lighter, but anything 6-1/2 lbs or less is fine with me for a "carry a lot, shoot a little" hunting gun.

The folks at Poulin's said in the description that the "somewhat crotch figured American walnut" stock shows some evidence of refinishing and installation of a pad, bluing is around 30% with significant hand wear on the barrels, case colors are 30% at best.

The gun locks closed crisply enough, but not anywhere near the Swiss watch precision of the AH Fox. The action is tight, with no hint of looseness or wobble. The opening lever rests just a bit to the right of centerline.

I took it apart and cleaned it - there was lots of grease on the table and in the barrel mechanisms - and found the right firing pin drops out of the receiver when the gun is angled down, preventing the gun from opening when the chambers are empty. Not knowing exactly what the inner workings look like, I'd guess the firing pin is either broken, or there is a return spring that is broken or missing.

The ejectors work, and with authority - a pair of spent RST papers launched about 6-7 feet behind the gun.

So I'll have to find a gunsmith with some experience with classics like this one and see about that firing pin, but otherwise I'm excited for next grouse season when my newest "sunny day" partridge gun will venture afield with me behind my various setters, English and Irish alike.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Leavitt - I promise I will give her a good home, and will care for and preserve it as well as I am able.

Here are some photos:

The Stock:

Receiver:

Forend:

Damaged firing pin:

Auction Photos:

ROMAC
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 5:12 am  Reply with quote

Nice gun.

I hope it has an easy fix.

I'm more of a Fox guy but I'd say the earlier date due to the Banjo style fore end release shown.
jswanson
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:19 am  Reply with quote

Really nice. I would agree as to the earlier date and the Firing pin should be an easy fix.

Joe

revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:43 am  Reply with quote

As observed, the Lewis patent "banjo" FE escutcheon was used for Ideal and above grades from 1901 until about 1930, then the rectangular escutcheon was used.
The chambers are likely 2 9/16".

Savage16
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:11 am  Reply with quote

As an Elsie fan, I say very cool indeed. I had a 1928 field grade with the banjo estucheon so you definitely dont have a 40's gun. Theres lots of good info on the LC Smith collectors website. If the chambers/chokes havent been altered you are correct it would be 2 9/16. Is there a FW in front of the serial number or an R? PM me if you'd like a name /contact for someone I've used for my 1925FW.

skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:24 am  Reply with quote

Great guns
Thank you for posting

I really like my Specialty Grade gun, alas it is in 12 gauge

Mike

fin2feather
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:54 am  Reply with quote

Beautiful gun. Shoot it in good health!

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Jta5er
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:55 am  Reply with quote

Really nice gun. Congratulations. I had LC firing pin replace years ago, I don’t remember it being any problem dad made one on lathe and hardened it. I worry more about someone tearing up my screws these days.

nj gsp
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:04 pm  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:
As an Elsie fan, I say very cool indeed. I had a 1928 field grade with the banjo estucheon so you definitely dont have a 40's gun. Theres lots of good info on the LC Smith collectors website. If the chambers/chokes havent been altered you are correct it would be 2 9/16. Is there a FW in front of the serial number or an R? PM me if you'd like a name /contact for someone I've used for my 1925FW.

It has FWE in front of the SN
nj gsp
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:59 pm  Reply with quote

The chambers must have been cut a little deep; or maybe the forcing cones are a little longer as the chambers are both measuring 2-11/16”.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:11 am  Reply with quote

I'm glad it found a good home. Shared this thread with a gunsmith friend and he noted firing pin issues on LC Smiths are both pretty common and easier fixes for good smiths.
As to the grease accumulation, I wouldn't be surprised if Tom never hunted with it. He bought when he saw quality and got around to shooting it if and when he did. (That's how you get a collection making 200 lots at the auction.) In his career, he was very busy and had work impose a lot of intrusions on the free time he did get, making hunting and shooting take second place all too frequently.
Good luck with it and use it in good health.

nj gsp
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

I have similar issues as Tom did; although I like what I do, and I work for a good company, it certainly does cut into my free time. The size of my collection is significantly smaller...
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

Nj GSP,

If you have time post a picture of the Breech work and the SN, I want to see the actual stamp. From the looks of it you have a 1922 made Specialty Grade gun. The Bajo release on the fore-arm is definitely one of the give aways. If the gun is a 1922 made gun it will have 2 9/16" chambers, the 49 gun will have 2 3/4" chambers, have them measured by a gun smith that has the correct tools. I would clean up the side lock plates to show off the Specialty grade engraving. Nice gun to win for sure!

Drop me some private e-mail at pine-creek@live.com and I will talk to you about where to get your firing pins worked on.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
nj gsp
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

How's this?

nj gsp
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:25 pm  Reply with quote

After doing some research, this is an easy enough fix I can do it myself. I've identified a few different sources for NOS firing pins, and if they don't work out I'll just make a new one myself.