16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Pellet energy required to kill pheasants.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:26 am  Reply with quote

robp,

I won't tell you that I have ever used #9 shot for pheasants. However shot payload is based on pellet count and pattern density. My point is that you won't use a 1 oz. or heavier shot payload if you choose to shoot #9 shot at birds. Probably 3/4 to 7/8 oz. That will keep peppering a bird down to the minimum.

This leads to the other issue of leading the front of the bird/hitting it in the head. Folks think that you have to somehow fringe hit the bird in the head....not true. A pheasants head/neck is very similar in area to a clay target on edge. When a clay target is thrown do you try to fringe hit it? Of course not, you lead the leading edge of the target. No different for a game bird. Lead the head, pellets won't end up in the breast meat. You do not have a 30" effective pattern, as many folks think.....more like a 15" effective pattern, unless you are shooting birds at 20 yards or less. A pheasants head is about 5" from it's body, if you center the head that leaves about 2" - 3" of effective pattern that may put a pellet or two in the body, but more importantly is more likely to break a wing or two.

The next item is......... well what happens with a perfect going away shot? Not too many true going away shots where some portion of the head/neck/spine are not exposed. If that happens where all you see is butt, probably shouldn't take the shot, if you are using small pellets (#7.5's and smaller).

I am not advocating for any specific shot size, just explaining the method, which by the way, if you have the pellet count, can be used with any shot size.

BTW, I started this thread ONLY to find out what pellet energy is needed to kill a pheasant. I don't have an issue or a problem killing them now with my loads and shot choices. I just want to know what that energy number is. So thanks for all the suggestions and the books that were mentioned are on the way.

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2021 5:27 pm  Reply with quote

Best Regards Nick

Last edited by Charles Hammack on Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
robp
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:07 am  Reply with quote

Looking to learn more. Seems 4/10 ft.lbs would not be enough energy to penetrate though feathers bone ect. Even at closer ranges like 30 yards and 7/10 ft. lbs of energy I'm still looking for a recipe. Hoping you'd share with us
Nick the book your referring to is that the American Shotgunner by Francis Sell?
or the American Shotgun by David Bultler or the American Shotgun by Charles Askins?
df
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:40 am  Reply with quote

I don’t use the mathematical formulas for determining shot size for pheasants. In the past 50 years, I’ve used everything from #2 to 7.5, all lead.
In 20 ga, I’ll shoot hard #6, at 1300 plus fps, in 16 and 12 ga, I’ll use #5 or #6 at also 1300 plus fps. That works well for me.
Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 11:58 am  Reply with quote

Regards , Nick

Last edited by Charles Hammack on Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
robp
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

How do you come up with that ?
No sarcasm intended
Seriously I'm looking to learn
I don't quite understand your riddles
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 3:40 pm  Reply with quote

It's all a secret, RobP. Those "in the know" don't want you to know what they really don't know. Furthermore, by now we should recognize true brilliance when we see/hear it.

Cheers!
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2021 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

I should have known better than to start this thread, as anything about pellet size/energy creates problems.

I hope that the thread doesn't go downhill any farther than it has.

........and again thanks to those of you who answered the question I asked.

I have started reading the Bob Brister book and Michael MacIntosh's book is ready and waiting to be read.

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:31 am  Reply with quote

Regards , Nick

Last edited by Charles Hammack on Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

Nick,

Actually I don't know what the actual pellet energy figure that is required to kill a pheasant. Not a life or death bit of information, but I would like to know.

I use #6's and it has always worked well. I know that you can kill a pheasant with many different shot sizes and everyone has their favorite. I am not looking for a pellet size or load, just looking for actual facts and numbers. Not for any other reason than I am just curious about it. I have looked though a fair amount of the work done at Olin, but no one has ever put ant actual number to it.

I know you love #9's and that size has proven effective, you will never get an argument from me. However, I know that I am not a good enough shot to hit every pheasant in the head/neck/spine. So when I am a little behind and get all body, what is that number? Again just interested in the energy number not what shot size someone thinks I should use.

BTW, wasn't referring to your posts.

Charles Hammack
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:35 pm  Reply with quote

REGARDS , NICK

Last edited by Charles Hammack on Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Unloaded low gun skeet? That's some fast shooting on doubles. Don't think I could load my 1100 fast enough to accomplish that, and I have shot a lot of skeet.

Let me get this right your gun is unloaded, you load, close the gun and break both targets before they are out of bounds? And run 25? I am skeptical about that one Nick.

Be well.

kgb
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:17 pm  Reply with quote

The answer should simply involve reading, all has been written, or looking into the heart.

3drahthaars
PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:00 am  Reply with quote

I've been watching this thread for a while...

Other than Googling and reading the plethora of articles that beat this topic to death, all that I can suggest is a simple test that I stumbled upon years back when I duck hunted a lot.

I used to shoot some cheaper steel by Remington, I think they were Sportsman. Steel #3 at 1200+fps. They served well on wooducks dropping into beaver ponds.

Shooting was slow and I targeted a squirrel at about 30 yards, and it took 2 Sportsman and a Kent (at 1400+fps) to anchor him.

So, if you can anchor a squirrel at pheasant range with your pheasant load... it has sufficient energy for your intended target... but, always keep in mind you need 3 hits on target, regardless...