16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Quality No. 7 Syracuse Gun - Unequaled
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:27 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron -- I'm not connecting your "handle" with anyone I remember, right off the bat at least. Damned if I can recall where we might have met. Only gun club I can think of in the Twin Cities area that has a bar is South Saint Paul Rod and Gun Club. Was that during one of the 16 gauge shoots there? Hmmm . . . give me a clue. And flirt with big-breasted girls? -- me??? I don't remember her -- that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cheers!
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:33 pm  Reply with quote

Same place I met him. I thought the “girls” were a bit rough, and the rain was cold, but, a good time was always had.

Best,
Ted

bruski
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:58 am  Reply with quote

M.S. Hmm... went to a bar and don't remember it?
Flirted with a girl and by chance don't remember it?
Does this mean this is not normal?
Damn there goes Saturday nights for the last 30 odd years.
(And some of the years were very odd).
Who knew? Why didn't someone not tell me? Embarassed

Old colonel2
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:06 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
old Colonel2,

Just so I understand, you owned a L.C. Smith #5 20 gauge gun. I think you might be mistaken, being that there were only 21 #5 20 gauge guns ever made, and most are accounted for as to ownership, and only 35 or 36 #5 16 gauged guns ever made also. If you owned a L.C. Smith #5 20 gauge gun, you owned a big time L.C. Smith collectors gun, worth a great deal of money. Please post some pictures of your L.C. Smith #5 20 gauge gun, I would love to see it. Ken Graft and I own some serious #5 Guns, but not a #5, 20 gauge between us. You may have owned a #3 L.C. Smith 20 gauge gun, there were over 100 of them made.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

#3 L.C. Smith 20 gauge gun.

Our L.C. Smith #5 made to order for A. Kraus, engraved by him with the likeness of his own English Setter Gun Dogs. Click on the picture to enlarge.

No mistake I owned a 20ga LC #5 SN: 6726. It is now in the possession of Mike Jensen.

The lesson I drew from its ownership was despite rarity and supposed quality, no gun is worth owning for me if it does have utility in my hands. If it had been a 16 I might of kept it, but I could not shoot it well.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:34 pm  Reply with quote

Dave I found some pics, pm me your email and I will send them.

I no longer have a host site to hang them on for posting here
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:15 pm  Reply with quote

Old Col,

My e-mail address is pine-creek@live.com, love to see the pictures, especially the SN on the gun.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:05 pm  Reply with quote

Email sent, feel free to post them.

Unfortunately it was 2015 and several computers ago when I traded it for cash and a number of guns in order to put central air into my steam heated Kansas home.
robp
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 6:29 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron and Tony
There were 2 or 4 depending on how you count. One is spoken for the other works for a metro school district
just saying
We need to move that shoot to the hunt and horse club
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:13 pm  Reply with quote

old Col,

Read and answered your e-mail, beautiful old 1912 #5, 20 gauge L.C. Smith gun,
congrats on owning a part of gun history.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 8:00 am  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
Jta5er wrote:
My experience with LC Smith was the same as my 2nd exwife, looked great, felt great but cost way to much money to keep her going. Would have been better off without either one!
Have a Merry Christmas Fella’s

The most relevant and astute comparison on the topic of the Smith gun seen to date.
Perfect.

Best,
Ted

What Ted said.

As to the commenter lamenting the term "over-engineered" and the alleged non-existence of things like "Over-doctored" and "over-lawyered", I submit he's never spent a lot of time with either profession. Putting on my lawyerly hat, I once was involved tangentially with a case where one of the sideshows was a pair of billionaire families in a multi-month pissing contest over some Crate-and-Barrel porch furniture on the premises of a home, involving a platoon of lawyers writing letters and threatening Armageddon if their respective sides didn't get their respective ways.

Money, as always, the fuel there. See it a lot in matrimonial litigation. They'll fight until the money runs out. Seen it more times than I can count.

In the engineering realm, a PE/LS friend here related the story of his experience some years ago with a noted domestic diva. She was working on her Maine country palace (this, before teaching knitting in a federal prison) with my friend's company doing the surveying work. She (and her decorator) wanted something geometrically impossible and wouldn't relent even after having her be the rod-man for my friend as surveyor. Ultimately, after repeated layouts and re-surveys and trying to square the circle his firm fired her as a client. The pain wasn't worth the money.

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:31 am  Reply with quote

She was a redhead. Cool
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

Any 10 people in a room can design a part to serve a function, that will cost $10 to produce. The engineer among them will design a part to serve the same purpose, that costs .50 to produce.
That is how an engineer earns his keep. And he always, ALWAYS answers to a bean counter, NOT the other way around.

Best,
Ted

Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 5:52 am  Reply with quote

We're speaking about two sides of the same coin, Ted.

The over-lawyered, over-doctored and over-engineered things that do happen, happen when people with more money than sense get an idea in their head and won't let it go, cost no object, despite all advice to the contrary.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:59 pm  Reply with quote

DaveinMaine,

Don't know much about overly Lawyered or overly Doctored, however many times when people say overly engineered they do not understand the purpose of the engineering they are looking at.

For example the Winchester 21 gun to many, is overly engineered with thick barrels and breech work. However the intent of the manufacturer was to build a very strong double gun, and they accomplished what they set out to do. Now the guns are a might heavy for me to be toting thru the Grouse woods all day, so I eventually sold my 16 gauge M21. This does not make the gun overly engineered for the purpose of its design. However for me it was to heavy for my purpose. When looking at engineering of any type, you 1st must understand the intent of the engineering.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man