16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Citori Light Strikes
DanLee
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:05 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 2021 White Lightning that displays some picky behavior when it comes to my reloads in the bottom barrel. Factory ammo doesn't provoke the problem. New primed hulls function fine, whether they're Rio, Fiocchi, or Cheddite. However, reloads with used Cheddite hulls invariably result in a light strike and no bang whatever primer is used. I can't see much difference in primer seating depth between these hulls, but there must be enough to cause the problem. Wondering if it's worth it to have the gun looked at, or just use the offending hulls in another 16 gauge. I have plenty of empties in all makes.
skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

See here

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24190

df
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

I had same issue with a grade III citori, 16 ga. Took it to Ahlmans in Mn. They fixed it, free. Worked fine after that.
I was not the first owner.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

I've have my 16 citori 32" I've been shooting mainly trap for the last 4 or 5 years and never had a problem. I clean the guts in the receive every winter when I get bored. Probably run 5000 rounds a year in it. If your primers Are set couple thousands to deep or just some grime inside the pin cavity.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

DanLee

What brand of reloader are you using?

nj gsp
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:39 pm  Reply with quote

DanLee wrote:
I have a 2021 White Lightning that displays some picky behavior when it comes to my reloads in the bottom barrel. Factory ammo doesn't provoke the problem. New primed hulls function fine, whether they're Rio, Fiocchi, or Cheddite. However, reloads with used Cheddite hulls invariably result in a light strike and no bang whatever primer is used. I can't see much difference in primer seating depth between these hulls, but there must be enough to cause the problem. Wondering if it's worth it to have the gun looked at, or just use the offending hulls in another 16 gauge. I have plenty of empties in all makes.

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22650&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

This is not uncommon, and in my experience is either the result of a slightly too short firing pin, dirty firing pin pockets, or deep set primers. Remington Game Loads (RGL) are notorious for this.

I should go update this post I linked to, because I have a little more info on 16 vs 20 gauge firing pins.

Last edited by nj gsp on Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
DanLee
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
What brand of reloader are you using?

MEC 9000. Haven't had any problems with reloads made on it in any other 16, of which I have seven.
df
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:03 pm  Reply with quote

I commented above, but add this. In my case, only the lower barrel had light strikes. Both barrels were shooting the same ammo, mostly my loads, but some factory also. I believe Ahlmans put in a slightly longer fitting pin in the bottom barrel.

Last edited by df on Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

DanLee,

Just asking because with some other reloaders you can dish the metal head. You can't on any MEC reloader.

T-Bird
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

had the same problem with my superlight 16. Bottom barrel only sent it back to Browning, got it back and it has been fine. I was shooting my reloads and RGL factory. No probs since I sent it back. I think it's a 2010 model but can't remember when I bought it. I've had several years of problem free use. I don't shoot as much as I used to , but it's been on multiple dove shoots and to SoDak a couple time with no further probs.