16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  L.C. Smith Specialty Grade
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:10 am  Reply with quote

YES!!!!!

nj gsp
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

LC Smith Chronicles Part II:

None of my gunsmithing screwdrivers fit the screw heads on the Elsie, so I ordered the Callahan gunsmithing screwdriver set from Midway, and I'll say that was a very wise purchase and worth the cost!

The screwdriver set arrived today, and I pulled the sidelock off the right side. The firing pin comes right out, there are no retaining screws or pins.

And as I suspected, the firing pin wan broken:

As you can see in this photo, the striker end has been peened over and expanded by the hammer. That tells me the firing pin is probably made from mild steel.

What's more, even though the firing pin was broken, the gun was still fired a LOT, as evidenced by the peened and hammered broken face of the firing pin.

I dug around in my steel stock and found some hot rolled steel bar, cut a piece off, and made a new firing pin. I have a 9" South Bend Model A lathe with a quick change gear head, so it was easy enough for me to make a new one.

I even heat treated it, not that it would do much but if I could get it a little harder I figured it was better than buttery soft hot roll steel.

This photo is a little blurry because my girlfriend called just as I took the picture and the phone vibrated, and then I reassembled the gun while I was on the phone with her thinking I took several photos. Oops...

I tested it out on a couple of empties, and as the firing pins on the Elsie are larger in diameter than the ones on my SLF, it was obvious they are making a good impression on the primers and I expect it should work fine.

If you look closely at the sidelock, you'll see a fair amount of dirt and rust on the screws, hammer, and bridle. It's obvious this gun was carried and used a lot in its nearly 100 year history, and no doubt it was out in the rain and snow a time or two.

I'll be pulling it completely apart again and will clean the sidelocks, clean up the rusty screws, and will get some better pictures when I do that.

I'm extremely impressed by the fit of all the metal parts in the gun, the clearances are excellent and it's very well put together.

It might not be a graded gun, but considering it's one of 720 16 gauge Specialty Grade guns ever made (and who knows how many made with ejectors and Hunter single trigger), and with perhaps only around 650 of those 720 guns still in existence (per what I've read on the internet) I think it's a very special Specialty gun indeed!

FYI I saw one of these 16 gauge Specialty Grade guns recently on Gun Broker, it was a 1924 gun and was listed for I think $5250, if anyone is looking.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:58 am  Reply with quote

Well done on the fix. I was just reading the thread when a friend here, who also knew Tom, called in to wish a happy new year. We both agreed Tom would have been pleased this gun went to you.
Use it in good health!

nj gsp
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:20 am  Reply with quote

Dave in Maine wrote:
Well done on the fix. I was just reading the thread when a friend here, who also knew Tom, called in to wish a happy new year. We both agreed Tom would have been pleased this gun went to you.
Use it in good health!

Thanks! I'm very happy with it, and honored to have it in my collection.

I'm hoping to get out and put a few rounds through it soon. I'm down to one last box of RST Lite Papers, so I won't shoot it much, that's for sure.

I should also report there were no signs of checking or cracking on the wood, and the internal wood/metal fit is very good.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:03 pm  Reply with quote

Nice lathe.....

Happy New Year!

Best,
Ted

nj gsp
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

Ted Schefelbein wrote:
Nice lathe.....

Happy New Year!

Best,
Ted

It's a fantastic lathe, and the best part is it ended up being free. Came with a ridiculous amount of tooling. I bought two South Bend lathes at a garage sale, a Model A and a Model C. Both in excellent shape, the ways were perfect. Got them both for $200 including tooling. Sold the Model C for $200, so the Model A was free.

Still looking for a Bridgeport with DRO, one of these days I'll find one I like that's cheap enough.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

Keep your eye open for a Balding Beaver, or a Gorton. The Beaver is made in England, but, they turn up. Both have a much heavier duty spindle then a Bridgeport, which, is the more common machine.

Best,
Ted

nj gsp
PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:36 pm  Reply with quote

I'm not opposed to some of those knockoffs from Asia either, I ran a Sharpe mill made in Taiwan a long time ago, had a Mitutoyo DRO and it was a very well made machine. "A mill is a mill", as my old machinist friend used to say.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:18 pm  Reply with quote

njgsp,

Before you replace the pins, use a little Singer Sewing machine oil directly on the pins and work the gun in a might firing it with some good snap caps, the pins maybe sticking and not short or damaged at all.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
nj gsp
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:14 pm  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
njgsp,

Before you replace the pins, use a little Singer Sewing machine oil directly on the pins and work the gun in a might firing it with some good snap caps, the pins maybe sticking and not short or damaged at all.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Did you see the picture I posted where the original firing pin is in two pieces? Maybe go back and look at this post from the beginning...
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:23 pm  Reply with quote

nj,gsp,

Came real late to this thread, and just glanced at it, sorry for not taking more time to read the full thread. Real nice job making the firing pin!

I sent you a private message, and make sure you view Nick Makinson's video and watch how the side locks are to be reinstalled on your gun, they have to go back on, in a certain manner, using one of the long cross screws, or you will damage the stock. Nick shows a full take down and rebuild process on his video. Your gun is a 1922 Specialty Grade, a real nice gun for sure. Clean her up, these guns are going for serious money now.
Real good move purchasing the Screw Driver set!

all the best

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
nj gsp
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, got your messages PCD thanks. Nick's video was very helpful in servicing the LC.

Much to my delight, tonight I discovered I have 7 more boxes of RST Lite papers, which means I have 8 full boxes total. Looks like I'll be able to run a box or two through the old girl before grouse season comes around after all!
nj gsp
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

Update:

I took the LC to trap night earlier this week, and broke 19, which was a pleasant surprise given the shot size and very open choke. I had to be quick on the trigger and get them when they were close… I know I was on some of the farther ones, and saw some hits but didn’t break any chips off to count.

It was a delight to shoot, and the new firing pin I made worked perfectly. This gun will definitely be joining me in the grouse woods this season!

Very Happy