16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  WIN 572
Pa's Sweet16
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:53 am  Reply with quote

What powder(s) did 572 replace, if any. I have 571 and 540 from years ago. Thanks in advance. John
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:04 am  Reply with quote

I am not sure it was a replacement for either. It is probably closer to 571 It definitely has some applications in the 16 gauge.

PatrickB
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:53 pm  Reply with quote

From a Handloader Journal article...

Some powders last for a time, weaken in popularity and finally fade away, but their demise opens a niche. Such was the case of Winchester’s W-571 powder used for years to handload shotshells before declining sales prompted Winchester to discontinue the powder. Fortunately, the void created by the terminated powder was recently filled by W-572. All of the Winchester-brand reloading powders have been licensed since 2006 to the Hodgdon Powder Company.

Chris Hodgdon said Winchester 572’s niche is for subgauge (16, 20, 28 ) shotshells. “[Winchester] 572 is just wonderful in the 28 gauge,” he said. “We didn’t have a Winchester powder in that burn rate. Winchester has a good following, and there are reloaders who will only use Winchester powders. Five-seven-two fills that missing link in the Winchester line of powders.”

Winchester 572 is similar to W-571, which Winchester discontinued before Hodgdon took over distribution of the powders in 2006. Not long after Winchester discontinued 571, Hodgdon stopped selling its equivalent, HS-7. “Five-seven-one was made with old technology and the market for it was slow,” Hodgdon said. “W-572 is more efficient, so you use less of it than the old 571. Plus, it is cleaner burning.”
3drahthaars
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:29 am  Reply with quote

There are several recipes in the 16ga LPG using WIN 572 running around 6kpsi and 1200fps that I've patterned with great results (about 80% in 30"circle at 25 yards). These are great for quail, woodcock and preserve birds.

I got IC performance out of my F/XF Merkel... They're comparably inexpensive and a little better performance than equivalent RSTs that I also patterned.

It's a great powder with a good margin of error for older guns and low pressure applications.
Winchester21
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

I've been using Win572 powder for over a year now in 16, 20 and 28 ga loads and really like it. The loads are 1150 to 1200 fps for all my gauges. The only negative comment I have is that it is superfine and when it leaks (which it does occasionally) it's hard to tell if those dark spots on the bench are crud that comes off the hull being reloaded, dust or if it's powder. I always treat it as powder.
Hogdon says to use the same MEC bushing values for it as you would Longshot. It burns fairly clean too.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:34 pm  Reply with quote

540=HS 6/571=HS 7....572 is a great 16 ga.powder and useful for handgun also.