16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Importing ?
16crazy
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:08 am  Reply with quote

Recently I found an affordable 16 gauge English boxlock on a British site that does export to the US.
When I inquired with the dealer about the potential purchase he replied that based on the average importing cost of $600 , the gun was not cost effective for me.

I understand his point but wonder about the numerous US dealers who sell modestly priced English guns. Do they get a price break for importing multiple guns at one time?
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

Just a guess----bottom line is the almighty dollar---profit to the non shooter is VASTLY more important than enjoyment of the shooter Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Embarassed Evil or Very Mad
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

16crazy,

The seller evidently did not want to due the work to sell the gun here in the states because of the value of the gun. If you really want the gun contact him again and tell him you will pay the $600 import cost, and purchase the gun.

You could also look around in some of the better magazines and find the equivalent gun. I purchased my J.P. Sauer 1880's, 16 gauge Grouse gun in this manner, the seller does all the work and sends the gun to your FFL dealer, no matter where the seller is located. You will still have to pay the import cost but you may get a better vendor selling you the gun.

The actual cost, if you really want that particular gun, should make no difference to the seller if you are willing to pay the cost.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
16crazy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:37 am  Reply with quote

Thank you for the responses.
I guess my question was more along the lines of this
How can someone like say Simpson's LTD import used Spanish, German and other assorted European guns, and sell many for something under $600 if importing is so expensive?

In addition several small sellers on Gunbroker regularly have English guns that they imported.
Cheesy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:42 am  Reply with quote

I think the other guys are bringing in multiples at a time, saving on volume.

These guys are talking 11% excise tax plus $150-$200 shipping, but they’re bringing in multiples at a time from Germany, not UK. Not sure if that’s apples to oranges, but somewhat of a comparison.

http://www.german-gun-imports.com/

Last edited by Cheesy on Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Cheesy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:47 am  Reply with quote

Some 10 year old info and contact names….

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=259586
pjourn
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

Importing in volume can be cost effective. Doing it for a single gun is not a way to save money. It can work if there is a very specific gun you want.

What is it that you are looking for?
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

Importing single guns can work if there's a very specific, expensive gun you want.

The people bringing in imported guns are doing it in substantial numbers in a batch. Simpson's, IIRC, go to Europe to buy and bring in lots of guns at once. For example, now they're listing several ex-Swiss-police HK P2000 pistols every day. They got a whole bunch of them in.

Part of the issue with importing is there are many, many obscure hoops to jump through to do it in compliance with the law. And the rules are constantly changing. There are people who make their whole careers - and lucrative ones at that - as customs agents, shepherding shipments through customs and duties and all the rest. Old saying: if someone is making his living at it, it can't be easy.

Ted Schefelbein can give much more detail and information. He used to import.

But there's also one question lurking in the background - this particular gun in Europe. Why this particular gun? What makes it so special that of all the guns in the world - commodity products, really - this particular one is the one you have to have? Have you ever held it? That's really the only way to buy a gun.

Old colonel2
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:53 pm  Reply with quote

Importing was much easier in times past than it is now.

It has gotten much slower than the 3-6 months of my previous three imports. I am still waiting the completion of an import process for a project gun brought last April.

Costs have gone up as well. I expect about $600 per gun is a fair estimate at this time.

The gun has to be a terrific deal, an item you could not otherwise find here, or something your heart cannot let you pass on.

The savings importers had in doing bulk shipments have been reduced somewhat as each gun must now be individually packaged and paper-worked as opposed bulk packaging and grouped into one document.
16crazy
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:22 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I am thankful for all the insight into the importing process.

The gun was a 16 Hollis boxlock. Why this gun? Good question.

Well, it was a 16, 'nuff said.

In addition it has a long lop which I need, the gun had been completely restored including a new set of barrels, I liked the wood, the gun itself was in my price range.......

And the gun spoke to me. I probably do not have to explain as most of you have had that feeling.

That all being said I am not pursuing the gun further as I feel have a unmotivated dealer on the other side of the pond is a recipe for disaster.

Could I find something in the US that is similar? Undoubtedly, but I haven't yet.

On a side note in the late 80's I spent considerable time in the UK as a college student.
I made a habit of scoping out gun shops in every little town I was in. As I recall every shop made me feel very welcome and humored me by allowing me to shoulder numerous shotguns. Being a college student all my money went to the trip so a gun purchase was out of the question. However numerous times I heard, " I can let that gun go for 100 pounds ( or some seemingly ridiculous low price)."

One of the higher priced guns that was offered to me was at a shop in Edinburgh. I looked as a cased T.Wild 12 bore 3" mag with two set of barrels. After roughly calculating the exchange rate I determined the gun could be mine for $3000. Of course I didn't have $3000 but ....

Only shop big or small that was down right rude was Boss in London. The older gentleman working sized me up quickly as a Yank college student who could not afford a Boss.

Always looking for an English gun but have never sealed the deal.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 10:21 am  Reply with quote

I hate to be a downer, but, for an individual gun, especially a lower priced gun, it mostly doesn’t make sense. The costs have gone up dramatically, few carriers are interested in transporting firearms (whole ‘nother layer of vague rules and bureaucracy to deal with) and, you can usually find something right here with less hassle. That is too bad, as old double barreled guns have become cheap in the UK and Europe.
Until further notice, my philosophy on importing is there is nothing I want bad enough across the pond to attempt an importation, regardless of price. Not worth it.

Best,
Ted