16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 gauge bps value
Ta63
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:04 am  Reply with quote

Hello. New guy here. Been shooting my grandfathers 1934 model 12 16 gauge for the last 25 plus years for most of my upland hunting. Also added one if the newer production remington 1100 guns to the stable 15 years ago. Id love to find a bps, as I seem to shoot them quite well. What should I expect to pay? Id be fine with the basic non engraved model, 26 inch barrel preferred.
rkittine
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:29 am  Reply with quote

Since they have been discontinued, the prices have been steadily going up. Recently saw a Upland 16 gauge BPS (english stock and 26" barrel) for for over $900 in As New Condition.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:29 am  Reply with quote

Welcome on your first posting

Here is just somethings to read

https://browningfirearmstore.com/bps-hunter-grade-iii-16-gauge/

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/921785875

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:35 pm  Reply with quote

I ran across a like new 80's BPS 12 last week, fixed 30" full, with the magazine cutoff switch, which is very useful. I can have it for $300 (family member). This is the exact same gun I grew up hunting with in the 80's with my dad. I even have the original receipt and owners manual from that gun, (bought for $267 in 1982), but sadly, the gun is long gone. I'm tempted, just to have as a backup trap/duck gun. They are great guns, and the 16 upland straight grip is a sweet gun. Surprised they didn't make an alloy version to get the weight down a bit.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Beagleman
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:08 am  Reply with quote

They are a nice made gun but they are fence post heavy. A friend rabbit hunts with a 16ga. Upland that has a 24" barrel if memory serves. Way to much weight for an all day hunt. I would own 1 or 2 if they had made an aluminum receiver...

Ta63
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:55 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah I know they aren't the lightest or sleekest 16's out there, but for some reason I've developed the urge to add one to the cabinet. I seem to shoot the bps better than most other shotguns in my collection too. I see the medallion grade on gunbroker. Im predicting that one will get a little rich for my blood.
Ta63
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:58 pm  Reply with quote

Yeah I know they aren't the lightest or sleekest 16's out there, but for some reason I've developed the urge to add one to the cabinet. I seem to shoot the bps better than most other shotguns in my collection too. I see the medallion grade on gunbroker. Im predicting that one will get a little rich for my blood.
gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

I owned a 16 ga. BPS Upland with 26" barrel for several years, shot it well and liked it. Unloaded weight was a couple ounces under 7 lbs.

I'm closing in on 70 years old, and still don't find a sub-7 lb. gun burdensome to carry. Most of my hunting is for ringnecks and prairie grouse, and this weight is a good match for the 1-1/4 oz. / 3-1/4 dr. loads I like for the later season. I mostly shoot SxSs, and for wet weather wanted a relatively inexpensive pump gun of moderate weight, with straight grip and top tang safety similar to my double guns.

I can't help with current value, but go for it if you like the BPS!

Jay
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

Good to see you, Jay-or Chas, after that great pooch, if I may?

Best,
Ted

gunflint charlie
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks Ted. You sure may!

I still poke my nose in here and on doublegun now and then. Seems to me I'm occasionally seeing your words on the UJ forum too?

My Charlie has been gone 25 years last October. We said our farewells to 15 year old Zuni about a year ago. Now have females 9 year old Piper and 2 year old Dickens -- who is perfectly named. Charlie was my first springer, Dickens is number 7 and if she lives a normal life span she'll be my last.

Glad we finally had the chance to meet at the 16 ga. shoot in SSP before I moved to the Black Hills. We're at the age Ted where it's coming on time to look back and appreciate what a great ride it's been, eh?

Best to you Ted!
Jay
kgb
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/923190088

Dakotazeb
PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:40 am  Reply with quote

gunflint charlie wrote:
I owned a 16 ga. BPS Upland with 26" barrel for several years, shot it well and liked it. Unloaded weight was a couple ounces under 7 lbs.

I'm closing in on 70 years old, and still don't find a sub-7 lb. gun burdensome to carry. Most of my hunting is for ringnecks and prairie grouse, and this weight is a good match for the 1-1/4 oz. / 3-1/4 dr. loads I like for the later season. I mostly shoot SxSs, and for wet weather wanted a relatively inexpensive pump gun of moderate weight, with straight grip and top tang safety similar to my double guns.

I can't help with current value, but go for it if you like the BPS!

Jay

I bought the same exact gun you have last fall for my grandson who is a lefty. Great gun and also like yours it weighs a few ounces under 7 lb. I agree that anything under 7 lb. isn't a problem to carry and I'm 75.

Browning BPS Upland Special