16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Poly choke and tungsten shot tss?
Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

I’ve got a Remington sportsman 48 with has a poly choke installed on it. I have been contemplating using this gun for Turkey hunting and a couple duck hunts a year, and shooting some tss through it for Turkey season to help some with better patterns at longer distance for the instance that a bird hangs up and doesn’t come in close.

I have read this thread and it says that polychokes with the knurled choke are ok for steel shot and ones with the vertical machining such as mine are not.

https://www.refugeforums.com/threads/polychoke-and-steel-shot.641649/page-2

With TSS being harder then steel I am a little worried. That said the whole purpose of the wad is to contain the shot going down the barrel so if using a wad like the csd 16 or similar should the choke/barrel not know the difference between a 1200 ft’s lead load to a 1200 ft/s tss load?

Any real world advise from people shooting tss would be appreciated.

If not I will just stick to shorter shots when using the 16. I have plenty of other guns to use so this is purely for novelty of hunting with my 16 vs other guns.
DanLee
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

You can shoot anything through a Poly-Choke, but make sure it's not cranked down to more than the Modified constriction for steel. That's the word from the Poly-Choke instructions.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

There are two aspects with hard shot. As you noted, there is the actual contact between the shot and the barrel steel, which is somewhat alleviated by the petals of the wad, however there is the second issue and that is the amount of constriction that can be put on the shot- that is to say, the mass of shot going through the barrel is a mix of shot and air. with softer shot when the short mass gets to the constriction the shot pushes against other shot and to reduce the mass diameter, some shot gets deformed against other shot. The result is a reduction of mass diameter. With harder shot there is less deforming and less reduction of mass diameter- which is why closing the choke to any more than IC or M is not recommended. But since the shot is deformed less, it flies straighter so less choke is needed for similar patterns.
Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks guys that echos my thoughts. If you have any tss or duplex load recipes that work I would really appreciate a private message with load recipes.

I’m not sold on the price but since I started shooting my 3 16 gauges about 3 years ago I have all but replaced my 12 gauges. These tss and bismuth loads would take it to the next step.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:19 am  Reply with quote

Agree with DanLee and will go further to mention that our Polychoked 12 ga M12 was fed a steady diet of steel when it was first mandated. It suffered no ill effects when cranked down to X-Full with steel as we did back in the day when through pure ignorance we attributed our misses to insufficient pattern density, rather than our inexpert shooting as is obviously the case looking back.

Of course this is merely anecdotal, and adherence to guidance from Polychoke is strongly urged.

V/ R
B.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:40 am  Reply with quote

What Dan Lee said .... Briley also said the same thing about my 28ga Red Label tubes - no tighter than Mod .