16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Rios & Aguilas
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

Looking at Rio game load 16 ga hulls that are bright red with high brass. They have stars on the headstamp so I assume they can be reloaded like any other cheddite?
Also looking at maroon Aguilas. No stars on the headstamp. Are these cheddites? Both are 6 point. Thanks

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:33 pm  Reply with quote

With the exception of the Remington SP (RGL) hull, a straight wall hull is a straight wall hull, especially where 1 oz. and lighter loads in 16 gauge are concerned.

I probably would not treat them all the same when you get into heavier hunting loads of lead, buffered lead, buffered bismuth, steel, TSS etc.

Trying to keep track of who makes euro hulls for who, is more speculation and SWAG's than absolute knowledge.

Stx4wheeler
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

They are all straight wall as the previous poster explained. The Aguila hulls are shorter in length than normal cheddite/rio hulls. One ounce loads will fit in them no problem but I doubt your getting more than 1 1/6 in them due to the shorter case length.

Rio should be fine for any 16 gauge straight wall load.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:53 pm  Reply with quote

+1 for what MSM2019 said. It doesn't look like there should be significant differences in the various Euro-hulls, which, I believe are basically either Cheddite, Fiocchi or Martignoni (NobelSport) -- maybe there are others, but I don't know; never seen any. All current hulls by those three have very similar if not identical capacities and constructions. A look inside the current hulls of these manufacturers will show differences in basewad profile, but all are pretty "flat". Most published load data seems to treat them the same. Primer fit? . . . could be some differences due to the different companies originally that loaded them -- no biggie. If whatever primer you use stays in, load it.

There are some hulls of older European manufacture (Fiocchis for one) that are different inside, but they are often of slightly different lengths. In 16 gauge, if any of the current Euro-hulls are 65 or 70 mm (2 9/16 or 2 3/4) and have either 8mm or 16mm brass (steel), they are quite similar. There are some older Fiocchis, for instance, with really, really high brass -- very pretty, but actually quite rare in the US, and mostly in 12 gauge. If they are 67 or 68 mm, one might want to check the internal capacity and construction makes sense. Some older Fiocchis sold as 2 3/4 inch shells are really those 67 or 68mm things and have paper basewads and less capacity. They load like Federals, but either way, you're likely not in any danger if you can get a load to fit. You just might have to fiddle with the wad column a bit. B&P 67mm hulls are closely similar inside all the other current Euro-hulls. Not sure, but I think they are made by Martignoni.

Cheers.
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies. I dug out a current Win gameload cheddite too. Looking inside with a flashlight the Herters,Aguila,and Win all have a very same flat bottom;the Rio is just a little rounded. The Aguilas are just a little shorter overall length than the others even though they're marked 70mm. When I'm loading 16s again I'll throw them in the rotation with the Herters. Thanks again.