16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  BPI -CHEDDITE PRIMERS
fourtimes4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 11:10 am  Reply with quote

Back in stock

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

Mark Twain
Citori16
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:53 pm  Reply with quote

I hate the price at nearly $70/1000…but I believe we are in a new era, and I do not expect a price decrease so I bought some…

fourtimes4
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:57 pm  Reply with quote

Understood
I hate it too. I do a little metallic reloading and the highest quantity I’ve seen those primers go for are 2 bricks at a time. At least BPI allows 5-K at a time which helps with the HazMat fee & shipping. You are correct that even if supplies return these prices are here to stay or all go higher. $5.00+ diesel I’ll guarantee shipping is going up. I’m in the transportation biz and our fuel surcharge on volumes hit 78.8% of the rate with LTL @ 40.5 so manufacturers are fixing to get hammered. Scared to think what $7 to $8 per gal will do to this economy. May need some self-defense load data.

1957 Winchester Model 12
1915 Fox Sterlingworth

Never tell the truth to people who are not worthy of it.

Mark Twain
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

The days of bargains is over for everything Sad Evil or Very Mad
RGuill96971
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
The days of bargains is over for everything Sad Evil or Very Mad

Nah, next year this time, your gonna realize those 70/1000 primers was a great bargain Rolling Eyes
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:42 am  Reply with quote

All you guys say is true. IF YOU BUY THEM. Even if you buy them ,80 % of the shooters cannot sustain purchasing at today's prices. Shooting is going to be an exception for only the few. Bill
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:53 am  Reply with quote

I won't stop hunting or reloading for hunting for my 16's. But if the prices stay as they are, I won't reload for clays a whole lot with my 16's or 12's. $70.00 plus per 1000 primers is a ripoff.

The prices for powder and primers are total BS IMHO. Let these guys choke on their inventory.

I may just start buying factory new and only shoot my 12 gauge guns for targets.

Last edited by MSM2019 on Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total

Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:57 am  Reply with quote

I coach the county 4-H Trap team and last year mid-season we finally paused the program due to limited reloading and target ammo in addition to outrageous prices when you do find it. We are reassess now for this year.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:07 am  Reply with quote

These outrageous prices for ammo and reloading components will hurt the shooting industry if these companies aren't careful. Clay target sports have always been iffy as far as costs go. Add on these inflated costs and you will lose families and we can't afford to lose young shooters.

I understand inflation and the need for companies to make a profit. But this is going way past reasonable IMHO.

I refuse to buy any component right now. The last component I bought were RIO primers for $49.99 per 1000 and that left a bad taste. No more for me.

Pbking51
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

Personally, I find it cheapest to buy the 100 pack of 20ga/12ga federalls for 27.99 at wally world. These were previously 21.99 up until last year, and I always bought 100 -300 routinely...since I started shooting SC...at those prices my precious primers are only going into green and purple hulls.

For 16 I was able to buy 1000 primed cheds last year when I fell in love with 16. Then at the end of last year I was able to buy 4000 primers for about $47 each after hazmat. I've got alot factory federal #6s from auctions and yard sales so i only load #7.5...and I don't think I have time to even shoot 5000 shells at clays with my loads in the next 2 years...of course I have a 2 year old and 2 month old at home so I guess I'm fortunate I don't have more time these days.

Even the cost for a primed chedite hull (20 cents), wad (5 cents), powder (10 cents), shot (11 cents) leaves me at $.46 a round or $11 a box. Substitute the hull cost with a 7 cent primer, that's $9.75 a box...which is far less than what I've ever seen 16ga shells for on shelves in the last 10 years.

I'm at what I feel as an advantage as I sit on shot I've bot over the last few local auctions usually for under $20 a bag , with the biggest score being 5 bags for 45 total.

I guess the phrase "buy cheap, stack deep" stuck with me from a young age.

I remember the first time gander mountain went out of business...I wasn't even loading shotgun shells and still could not pass up cheditw primers for 13.99 and I left with all they had...maybe 8 boxes

My Achilles heel, just like RST, is powder...Hopefully by the time everyone spends their monies on primers they won't have the cash or stomach to spend 40 a pound on green dot or international and I'll spot some.
Citori16
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

After I retired the Flues & bought the Citori, I did not need to reload. I had about a brick each of CCI209M, Fed 209A, W209 & Rem209, a whole lot of wads & a ton more of hulls. A bunch of powder, mostly Universal. I bought a lot of ammo & saved the hulls, both 16 & 12. Long story, but I screwed up my shooting going back and forth from the 12 to the 16. Now with a long road back, I stick to the Citori as much as possible and have to reload to remove the variables, shooting skeet as often as I can. My daughter is now shooting with me. I buy what is available if I have a recipe that suits me or her.

Now, with a good store of Longshot, plus these primers, I am good again. My daughter can reload for her 20, and I’ll reload for my 16, plus my son’s. Retirement is dawning on the horizon, and I’ll be damned if I go into it wasting shots on missed grouse.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:32 pm  Reply with quote

I've been buying since Obammy. But the last shot I bought was 34.50 bag. 1 think I have 3 8 lbder's of 20/28. 8 lb green dot, about 10 lbs of 700x out of a 12 keg when I stopped shooting 12ga. Plus much more. I just haven't check all my inventory. 6 scains of cheddite primers 1000 riots and others of various brands. Wads up the yengyang so I'm good for couple years. About all I shoot us trap games with my 16 citori. I Offset much of my shooting fees with my winning. I just hope I can sustain my winnings. I haven't pulled the trigger since October.
I refus to pay these outlandish prices when I know most of the inflation of shooting sports is man made. Bill
df
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:25 pm  Reply with quote

I also stocked up when obummer was elected. Likely have enough that my son will inherit some reloading components. I did sell 10 bags of 7.5 and 8 shot for $35 a bag three years ago. Wish I was selling it now.
Old colonel2
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:10 pm  Reply with quote

I can only counsel people to build as big a stockpile as they can afford. Being a 16 ga enthusiast requires it to some degree.

Not sure I will ever pile up enough ammo or 16 ga SXS guns and it is getting worse now that I finally brought a 2 1/2 inch 12ga best gun.

I stockpiled loaded shells and components to a ridiculous extreme. My heirs will be probably be challenged to pass it on. Their problem, not mine as all the other stuff compensates that years in the future I hope.

My short term challenge is to get back into actually reloading again to take advantage of the components. Once I spoiled myself with ammo buys and my shooting fell off, I longer felt the need to reload as much as I did.