16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reclaiming wads, primers and shot from others dodge reloads
Pbking51
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:04 am  Reply with quote

So now that i am a true shotshell reloader and feel confident I have learned enough to spot a reloaded shell...atleast if it's not done right.

I started going through boxes of random ammo and found about 200 20Ga AAs that I must have bought at a yard sale or auction years ago. Either the guy used the wrong wads or stuffed too much shot or powder but some of the crimps are just about busting at the seams.

Originally I thought, there's 200 primers right for the picking and atleast a pound of shot.

My main question is...will depriming on a single stage cause any reliability issues for these primers? Times are tough, so I figured I'd cut the top off at the crimp, pull wads empty shot, and discard the powder.
kennedy756
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:17 am  Reply with quote

worth a try

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:29 am  Reply with quote

I cut the crimp close to top-avoid damaging the wad-If you do cut it a little don't worry.Dump the shot,pull the wad and dump the powder.Decapping the live primer won't hurt anything.
df
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:35 am  Reply with quote

hoashooter wrote:
I cut the crimp close to top-avoid damaging the wad-If you do cut it a little don't worry.Dump the shot,pull the wad and dump the powder.Decapping the live primer won't hurt anything.

Agree with this.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

Winchester. Do it all the time.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

If the crimp is about to open I'd take an ice pick or pointed screwdriver and pry the crimp open, rather than cutting the top.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:13 am  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
If the crimp is about to open I'd take an ice pick or pointed screwdriver and pry the crimp open, rather than cutting the top.

I do the same thing. Except I have a wooden handle on my pick. Rounded on end enough oversize that after I dump the shot I take rounded end and expand the opening alittle . Then i take needlenose plyers and grab a peddle to pull out the wad. Most euro wads are oversize enough that I end up pulling the peddles off.in that case I cut the hull below the wad to get the powder.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:01 pm  Reply with quote

Are you experienced enough to identify powders and primers you salvage from the re-loads of others? I don't know any folks that can positively identify these components. I have loaded shotshells for way over 50 years, and I've seen and used a lot of different components, and I can't. The biggest problem/hazard with all that salvage business is identifying just what powder is in the shells. Primer mis-identification is not quite as big a problem if you use them in light loads. I have disposed of quite a bit of "salvaged" powder over the years, because I couldn't positively identify it and thus was afraid to use it. Try not to burn more than an ounce or two at a time, as it burns very quickly, and if contained even by itself in a pile that is very "deep" at all, it can flare up surprisingly. Google American skeet great Wayne Mayes and see how he died. It was brutal and unnecessary.
Pbking51
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:16 am  Reply with quote

I am staying away from powder and I was assuming I'd just empty it in a container and flush it. I don't like playing with any pyrotechnics haha
Citori16
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:26 am  Reply with quote

I use a set of GC Elctronics curved needle nose pliers to reclaim. Orange handle. I bought these back in college for my courses, back when I didn’t worry as much about prices. They are expensive now (at least on Amazon), so I don’t recommend them for that, but the handle is a semicircle that fits in the palm of your hand. With one tool I can pick the crimp, smooth it out, grab the wad and even pick/pry it out if necessary.

I agree on the powder…flush it unless you are absolutely sure.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:23 am  Reply with quote

Since smokeless powder is a variation of the chemical compounds used in fertilizer I just sprinkle unknown powders on the yard/garden (for the quantities involved).
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:51 pm  Reply with quote

Makes good fertilizer.
Jim Atlas
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:00 pm  Reply with quote

If you're concerned about which primer it is, save them for target loads.
If the crimps are loose, just push them open with pliers.