16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  16 ga OUs
Pbking51
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:42 am  Reply with quote

Background:
I fell in love with the 16s last year when I had a ball shooting trap and stocked birds with a 16ga AYA box lock. I have others but never really gave them the time of day, maybe it was because it was a 6lb sxs? I have a good amount of factory federal #6s and doubt I will ahoot that many ring necks in the forceable future, but I do enjoy shooting sporting clays and have about 1000 new hulls I am in the process of loading with #8/7.5 for clays.

I have many 12s in every action and a semi , pump, and sxs 20, mainly used for clays. But seeing as I have less money to spend on components by using strictly the 16s, I am in the market for a 16ga OU. I am not so afraid of weight, looking to use the gun for clays and hunting, but I do rather appreciate a scaled receiver. I have nowhere near as much time or money to look at $5-10k+ guns, but what I do want is a strong company with a good warranty/service policy. Can't anyone comment real life experiences with any of these guns and help with my decision? I am looking for removable chokes and a 28" or 30" barrel. Any other ones I am missing? These are the only local guns I was able to mount , and I really would like to be able to handle a gun before purchasing, especially if spending $1500-3000

Guns I am looking at and what I see as notable features:

1. rizzini br110 lite luxe: Good name , but 12ga frame

2. browning white lightning: Scaled frame, never had a problem sending a new or 2nd hand gun back to service or needing parts. Most expensive option.

3. franchi instinct slx: Most attractive styling to me. Scaled frame. Unsure of warranty and durability. I have enjoyed the AL48s I have I'm 12 and 20
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:55 am  Reply with quote

I had a Browning Lightning 16 ga- straight grip, steel receiver. It was a very nice gun that I traded to another 16ga Society member. It went to a nice home so I'm not too sad about it. Sometimes I lie.
nj gsp
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:36 pm  Reply with quote

I have a Browning Citori 525 Field and a Superlight Feather in 16, both with 28” barrels and choke tubes. Only issue with the 525 was the under barrel firing pin was a little short, resulting in some FTF conditions. Swapped in a 20 ga under pin and the problem appears solved. The 525 weighs in at exactly 7 lbs, the SLF at 5 lbs 13oz.

Of your list, I like the Franchi SLX and will probably buy one at some point. Very well made, excellent fit and finish, and very light weight. I got my GF a SL in 20ga, it weighs 5-1/2 lbs. she uses it for trap and recoil has not been an issue, even though it is a very light gun.
DanLee
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

I bought a White Lightning last year (Shot Show special) after considering them for a couple decades. The one thing that prevented me from buying one before was the lack of a recoil pad. I've since put about 5,000 shells through it. A couple things I'd like to change: I wish the POI were 50/50 as in the hunting model rather than 60/40. While I have gotten used to the necessary sight picture for success with this model, all my other guns are flat-shooting and I find it irritating to switch back and forth. Second is the lower firing pin, as someone mentioned above. This is an ammunition-related problem which I mostly avoid by sticking to primers and hulls that I know from experience will work in the gun. I've also ordered extra firing pins and springs from Browning for the day when it becomes necessary to relieve my irritation.

I have very positive feelings about this gun and have shot it almost exclusively since buying it. At some point I'll probably get a hunter model.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

Have you considered the Tristar auto-bronze model-beautiful wood Very Happy
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:48 pm  Reply with quote

I have 525 32" that I shoot mainly trap games. Occasionally sporting c's.over the past 4 years I had had no problems with is gun. If you keep the reciever clean on the inside you should
Nt have any problems with miss fires unless it's the primer itself.
Citori16
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

I bought my Citori WL back in ‘03. I’ve used it for everything from Geese to wild Quail, and it has served me very well, especially for Grouse & Woodcock. A very good & experienced skeet shooter recommended Citori’s for me saying “Out of the box, a really good gun.” At the time, I could only find the other gauges so I didn’t get my hopes up. When Browning offered them in 16 ga in ‘03, I jumped at the chance, found Carolina Sporting Arms online & they also offered a set of Briley’s with it. I have not ever regretted it. It has never gone to the gunsmith, though I may take it to one this year to have the barrel re-blued after having pushed aside thousands (millions?) of saplings & dog-hair popple. It has been soaked through in surprise thunderstorms, slathered with salt-marsh mud, and still performs like you expect. It weighs about 6.25 pounds, and I have put plenty of 1-1/4 oz loads through it, and while I wouldn’t want to shoot a round of clays with that, I am not worried about a day’s duck hunt or even a week of grouse hunting with those loads.

About a year later I bought a Grade 6 from the same vintage. It is a tad heavier At about 6.5 lbs. I kept it in the box knowing I could sell at a profit if needed for the kid’s college. Thankfully, I did not need it and this now my skeet gun, which I use every week mostly to practice for the next season. Now that the kid’s are out of college, skeet & reloading have become a nice hobby as well as an opportunity to socialize with similar minded individuals.

At one point during one of my son’s military leaves we went to the hand trap field and he used the WL. He really liked it so I bought him one of the new Citori Hunters in 16 ga this past Christmas. He has used it for woodies down in Louisiana and loves it, but intends to keep it for upland, which we hope we will tackle for a week this coming season, though Europe’s situation may change that.

I would not knock any other manufacturer’s 16 ga, and I do admit to lustfully eyeing some of the newer one’s I have seen, but I did not feel the “need” to have one, having the Citoris. If I buy another 16 ga anytime soon, it would probably be an LC Smith with ejectors, which I would use in my twilight years with low powered loads for grouse, woodcock, quail & dove, along with my Ithaca Flues and Crescent New Empire.

The Citoris will be saved to ensure they can be passed down as useable. With the day I first breathed air being 2-16, it will be a small yet nice legacy.

kennedy756
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:38 pm  Reply with quote

I use a Browning citori lightening grade 3 for trap. sent the butt stock to tronspace to have an adjustable comb installed, I installed a Morgan adjustable butt plate and use an IM choke in the top barrel

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
rkittine
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:57 pm  Reply with quote

I love my 30" 525 Sporting, but also had the lower firing pin issue.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
chilly460
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:02 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 525 28”, a Citori 28”, and I just picked up a Rizzini Aurum 29”. They’re all close in weight, a bit disappointed that the Rizzini was so heavy. They all are appropriate for clays, being right at 7lbs. The 525 feels like more of a clays gun with the strong pistol grip.
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:48 pm  Reply with quote

The best 16ga O/U is probably the one that isn’t made yet: the Beretta 686. We have it in 20 and 12. They are solid and reliable, perfectly balanced, great handling, good looking, and affordable.

B.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:53 pm  Reply with quote

Pbking51 wrote:
Background:
I have nowhere near as much time or money to look at $5-10k+ guns, but what I do want is a strong company with a good warranty/service policy. Can't anyone comment real life experiences with any of these guns and help with my decision? I am looking for removable chokes and a 28" or 30" barrel. Any other ones I am missing?

Staying in the same price range as above:
4) Fausti Caledon

5) F.A.I.R. they make several models in 16 ga. and you can even custom order them to your specifications. Pistol grip, English straight, POW whatever floats your boat.

I have 16 ga. guns in pump, SA, SxS, and O/U and in the end have a dedicated hunting gun and dedicated target gun in each action.

For the O/U for many years ran a F.A.I.R. made NEA 500 it was F.A.I.R. first introduction in the US ~25 years ago. Have a 28" and 30" bbls. for it with the theory being the 30" was for clays.

At 6 pounds even with the 30" bbl. on it still is a better hunting gun than clays gun.

Shooting clays with it can manage well enough especially with 7/8 oz. loads. But there is a solution for that and it is called the 20 ga. Recently picked up a B. Rizzini Competition 16 at 7 3/4 pounds for my O/U target gun and life is much better now.

Most people shoot either a Browning or Italian guns better, one or the other. A lot of it has to do with Moment of Inertia. For me I'll take my fast and sexy Italian guns any day of the week.

Brewster11 wrote:
The best 16ga O/U is probably the one that isn’t made yet: the Beretta 686. We have it in 20 and 12. They are solid and reliable, perfectly balanced, great handling, good looking, and affordable.

B.

The only difference between a 686 and 687 is the 687 has nicer engraving and wood. I owned a 687 field for a few years but ended up sending it down the road. Sometimes wonder if that was the right move

Looking at some of my pictures guess I shot it well enough. But shot some of my other field guns better.

For 15 years shot a custom Joel Etchen 687/Gold E combo with EELL wood

One of the best shooting guns I have ever owned. But because I am a grouse hunter first and foremost wanted to go back to 50/50 POI. And like the handling of my B. Rizzini guns just a touch more. And the 32" Comp 16 the best of all

John Singer who posts on here works at the gunshop where I took it to have a red microcell pad installed, he is a heck of a gunsmith in his own right. And shot along with coach for a local HS Trap team. He got to handle it and called me saying the way it handled it was perfect gun for trap. And it is. But will use it more for 5 stand and sporting clays.

Speaking of best when I ordered the Comp 16 from John at Pacific Sporting Arms he once again mentioned to me that he could custom order me a 16 ga. Perazzi 32" MX16. And I love the way most Perazzi handle between my hands and the ones I have shot I have shot extremely well. But at 10X the cost of the Rizzini took a hard pass. Maybe someday. But for that much money seriously doubt it. Still..... Nah Sad