16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  dangerous game slug and longshot data?
bluepyro
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:39 pm  Reply with quote

Hello everybody. im looking to work up a load for deer with one of my 16s. Im not looking for a long range type of deal as my shooting lane is at max 20 yards wide and 30 long. it funnels like a horseshoe and Ill be able to enter without crossing the trails in the funnel. Its under oaks and will be supplemented with a corn feeder. The rest of the area is thickets hence the shotgun.

I have the 16 gauge manual but im a little leery of trusting the load data. I ran some 1 oz #6 loads using their data that made the barrel on bolt action ring like a church bell. I have been scared of the load data since lol.

Anyway anybody have any good data using the DGS with new primed cheddittes and longshot powder? I will check the data i have tomorrow but im thinking along the lines of 24 grains with overshot card for fold crimps or no shot card and good old fashioned roll crimps. Am i in the ballpark? lol

"if I knew where I lost it, it wouldn't be lost would it"

Keep a clean house, for thou know not when the master comes
putz463
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:19 am  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard.....

If no one chimes in with exact data for you.....I don't reload slugs but if I were extrapolating from trusted data to find a start point...looking at Hodgdon' reload data for Win(Ched) polyformed hulls and LS for 1oz lead w/BPI wads they start at 25g of LS and still are way safe regarding pressure. And it looks as though the DGS is incorporating a Gulandi (BPI) style OB cup and crush section and since you wont have the set back force of shot pressing against wad petals adding to pressure + RC in theory reducing pressure compared to folds, I think 24g would be a safe starting point.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center

skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:21 am  Reply with quote

Hello bluepyro

Welcome to the site !!

A couple of questions
What Bolt Shotgun
What chokes?

Even chamber length.

At the shord distance you will be using the slugs, I would start low and work up till you get what you want.

I would say, start at 20 or 21 grains of Longshot and work up from this safe starting point.
This will be below 10,000 psi to start.

Again, WELCOME

Mike

Jim Atlas
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:10 am  Reply with quote

You'll find a lot more guys who load slugs over at the casting site.
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/forum.php
They seem a bit more... adventurous, but they may have some data points for you.
Stack16
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:45 pm  Reply with quote

You won't need an overshot card on top of the slug if fold crimping,

Griff

bluepyro
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:56 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I feel welcome to the site! The 16 gauge my grandfather had was my favorite gun to hunt with. I was taught on a bolt 410, and I currently use a 20 when i'm in the woods after squirrel, or rabbits. I'm not a huge deer fanatic, but there is currently 3 meats my 7 year old will eat. One of them is deer. So if it means he has a full belly, I'm all in.

skeettx
I will be using a Mossberg 190 kb for this project. Its in very good shape. It is a poly choke gun, Ive recently come into fascination with poly chokes. Always been a bolt guy though I love over/unders. The chamber is 2 3/4. I will load up a couple at 21 grains and see how they shoot. I already have the slugs. I took some bird shot up to 29 grains, that was a little stout for most of the shooting that I see. I may be jaded though as I had to prove I could hunt ducks with a 410 before I could get a "big boy" gun lol.

Putz463
I think ill start at the 21 grain mark and work towards the 24 grain mark. Choosing whatever throws the most consistent groups with least amount of recoil. Im not really recoil shy, just getting a little older and not caring for the recoil as much as i did in my youth. Thanks for the replies and now I have a decent starting point. I like the idea of reduced pressure from the lack of shot, makes me optimistic for where this could go.

bluepyro
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:59 pm  Reply with quote

Stack16
Thank you for the info

Jim Atlas
Thank you for the link I will give it look

Thanks for the replies and now I have a decent starting point. After a few loads this week end ill update with some results! Also sorry for the edits, I was getting an error message after posting!