16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  My new gun
BWW
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:47 pm  Reply with quote

Again I am going to ask an experienced group an opinion.
For the last number of years , I have shot a side by side 16 ga gun and have become a die hard SxS guy.
I recently purchase a new 16 ga Iside Tantagura Gold. I love the gun, it fits very well and comes up nicely. My old gun has extractors and I love that because I am lazy and don't like bending over to pick up the empties. The new one has ejectors.
My question is can the ejector gun be converted to an extractor gun?
Is it stupid to do?

Thanks, Bob
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

Bob
I often remove the ejector springs from my SXS.

Have you called IFG??
https://www.italianfirearmsgroup.com/fair/details/iside-tartaruga-gold/

I would assume ( you know what that does), you could remove the ejector
springs from the forend.

BUT I do not have this gun or the parts diagram.

Mike

P. S. if you will turn the fired gun sideways and trap the shotgun under the bicep and open the gun with the right hand, you can catch the ejected empties as they exit the chamber.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

Bob,

SkeetTX is right, lots of sportsman convert ejector SXS double guns to extractors.
I would use a good gun smith to do the work, instead of doing the job myself.

all the best,

Pie Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Citori16
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

If you’re absolutely sure that’s what you want, a gunsmith would be the way to go.

But…

When I swapped to the Citori after having used a sxs with extractors for quite a few years, I found it very convenient to put my hand over the barrels to catch the ejected shells. No bending to pick them up and a faster reload. Occasionally I have had to reload very fast and then I let them fly while I grab two more shells, and once in a great while I have tripled on birds this way, usually decoying ducks but a few plantation quail as well. That said I have never used a sxs with ejectors, so I don’t know if it would work the same.

To each his own, good luck with your choice.

DanLee
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

I just put my thumb over the chambers as I open the gun and then pick out the empties.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:25 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Some Grouse hunter like myself prefer an extractor gun, if you have an ejector gun you must catch the shells all the time unless you want to leave the shells in the snow some place for others to eventually see where your Grouse Coverts are located, it's one of the big reasons many Grouse hunter prefer extractor double guns. Also it you reload your shells you do not want to have too look for them in the snow cover forest, when you should be hunting. Me I prefer my extractor SXS double gun when hunting Grouse & Woodcock. Each to his own.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:05 am  Reply with quote

Congrats on your new gun, not stupid at all. I too prefer extractor guns...strongly dislike seeing shells lying on the ground or floating in the water.

Depends on the mechanism. Some guns need the ejector springs to push the shells out since they don't have cams or are mechanically incapable to do it otherwise. On those guns I've taken the OEM springs out (to save if wanting to go back to eject) and got similar sized ones from a hardware store and kept trimming until they were just long/strong enough to push the shell/hull out and not eject. Small side bene, the guns usually open/cock a little easier since you're no longer (or much less so) overcoming the small ejector spring reset/cocking force.

Or if not trusting your mechanical ability, have a smith convert the gun for you.

Old colonel2
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:34 pm  Reply with quote

The journey through the different guns you shoot to find the exactly right combination of features that suit our fancy is a great trip.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:52 pm  Reply with quote

^^^^Post of the week!!! Never heard it said better.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:19 am  Reply with quote

I just lower the butt stock on my right thigh , left hand wrapped around the fore-end and barrels while right hand is pushing the lever to open and catching the shells in my right hand as they are popped out. Very natural to me , actually faster than trying to pull the empties out of an extractor gun.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:33 am  Reply with quote

the main/great use of ejectors in the past : early trips to Moo , the limit was 5 roosters a day and quite a few birds . The CLUSTER ++++ was when the birds were piling out and the Davis has that little clutch where it doesn't kick back to allow shells out unless you hold it open all the way . Clutch - shells out - clutch shells in , a large opp of birds have gone by by the time you get the shells(empty) out , and the live ones in . Don't have that problem with ejectors . Open'er up , let them fly , and get the new ones in - look out Mr Rooster , here they come !! Don't care about empties till the action is done!

FlyChamps
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:37 am  Reply with quote

We have had all of our ejector SxS's modified to be extractor or ejector guns. All of them have Southgate ejectors. The conversion involves drilling and taping a 5x32 hole over each of the ejector springs and then shortening a 5x32 screw so that it is just long enough to slightly compress the ejector spring (a "fiddly" process according to our gunsmith).

With the screws in place the gun extracts only and when they are removed the gun ejects.

The guns are much easier to open and close with the screws in place for extractor only and we use them this way for shooting clays. This is especially helpful at our ages of 73 and 79.

When hunting we remove the screws and have the reloading speed of ejector guns.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2nffMrw] [/url]20220418_123407 by Robert Holliday, on Flickr[/img]