16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Browning 16ga sxs?
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

Never seen one of these before... Browning FN 16ga sxs. Anyone here familiar with these?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=64661951
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

I've seen Fabrique National guns before. The seller may have just put "Browning" in the ad for better exposure. One of my favorite 16 ga. guns that I ever had was a 16 ga. F.N. 6 lbs. on the nose. 29 in" barrels. A real "funeral"gun. I traded it away for a German gun, that turned out to also be Belgian. Oh well, live and learn.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:32 pm  Reply with quote

I have been watching this one and one on Auction arms. They both are true side-locks and have a good reputation. At a local gun show in Spokane I have seen a twin to the 30 inch barreled one with an asking price of $3500.00. It feels nice and has me watching them now.
Best,
Ron
jig
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:26 pm  Reply with quote

hate to be negative but for a couple hundred more you could pick up a cherry LC Field grade in much better shape than that FN. Take a look at it on Safai Outfitters website. Plus you will have an American Legend in 16GA no less. It even has much of the case color! If that gun was within two States from me it would already be mine. Just that I'd need to do some trading to get it, and trade I would. I would say goodbye to my brand new Browning XS Skeet for that LC in a heartbeat.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:37 am  Reply with quote

The ad states that it's a boxlock? Also what's up with all the gouges around the lock plate? Poorly inletted, or... Question

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:19 pm  Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the "Browning" was just thrown in. FN made guns for Browning, but not all FN guns are (or were) Brownings.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

Nice FN 16 at robin hollow in RI, box lock under 1500. slightly loose when the forearm comes off. 29 1/2 barrels, pow and I think a cheek pad
Battle
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

FN for sure, and too high!
Take Care,
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:40 pm  Reply with quote

Larry Brown wrote:
I'm pretty sure the "Browning" was just thrown in. FN made guns for Browning, but not all FN guns are (or were) Brownings.

Oh heck I not offended at all. Like others, I thought the gun was in poor condition and quite a bit overpriced. I should have known the seller just threw Browning into the ad rather than just advertise it as an FN gun.

My question was more along the lines of whether Browning ever made a 16ga sxs. The only sxs I know of from Browning is the BSS, which as y'all know was only made in 12 and 20.

Anyway, I like to see interesting and different guns, particularly in our favorite gauge.

KB
Prussian Gun Guy
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:45 pm  Reply with quote

I know that Browning has recently begun making high end SXS guns. I recently saw 2 brand new 20 ga. guns at $17,000.00 and $23.000.00 respectively. I don't have a clue if they offer other gauges.

"There aint nothin' better than huntin' with a Setter"
Larry Brown
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

PGG, those current Browning sxs are actually made by Lebeau Courally, a very reputable Belgian maker. I think they're supposedly finished in the FN custom shop. Don't know whether they're making 16's as a matter of course, but expect they would make one for anyone who wanted to special order.

Other than the current, Belgian-made Browning sxs, all the previous ones were made by Miroku in Japan. They made a pretty nice sidelock in addition to the far more common boxlock (which was made in two different grades, although not many Grade 2's were made), but only in 12 and 20--and lots more 12's than 20's.