16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Gun selection for turkey?
Soggy socks
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:19 am  Reply with quote

Most of the turkeys I have killed in my lifetime I would have been able to cleanly kill with a light load of 6's at 25 yards some less. I have no regrets about using a 12ga. with a 3" shell for those and the others that have hung up well beyond that. Work so hard most of the time for a shot and if I do get a shot at 40-45 yards I want to be able to take it. That's just my opinion woods birds Vs. hard hunted field birds are different

Sounds like from what the guide suggested 30 yards might be where he thinks he can get the bird into, which is by the way what turkey hunting should be like. Good luck I might add hearing the gobble is addicting!
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

Old C2,

I agree 100%! Shot placement and patterning, no matter the gauge of the gun is really all that matters. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
jrothWA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

I habe used both over the counter Win. #4 fresh shells and loaded some #5 shot using longshot powder.

for 12Ga., I have reloaded Winchester AA hulls longshot and "Clay buster" wads for heavier loads.

the #5 pellets i found to very satisfactory for both toms and squirrels, seeing that the 5's will traverse the full -length of a squirrels body.

My I suggest your consider your VHE to the Delgreco & Son for reviw and possibly re-chambering of the barrels.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:12 pm  Reply with quote

Delgrego is a respected firm for redoing Parkers, however my Parker doesn't need any redoing. I handload so not using 2 3/4" factory shells is not a problem.
jrothWA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:40 am  Reply with quote

including a new hinge pin that really tighten the action and he recommended lengthening the chambers. some I may be loading some AA hulls will some #5 shot for my season.
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:03 pm  Reply with quote

Two barrels, two triggers, two chokes and two sizes of shot. Mod/full is a great combo and I normally use 6’s to forty yards with the full and 7.5’s inside twenty five with the mod. Pattern each barrel at the worse case scenario with a variety of loads to find the densest pattern and squeeze the trigger like a rifle if you have the time. 1/2 of the job is getting one into range, the other half is killing him cleanly. I’ve killed almost two tons of gobblers in over fifty years with a variety of gauges, chokes and shot and the combo above works best for me. Last year I guided a friend who showed up with 3” shells for his 2.75” chambers, only to trade five 2.75” 6’s for his 25 round box of 3”, 1,350 fps, B&P nickel plated Heavy Pheasent 6’s. Best load I’ve shot in a long long time.

Reno

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:59 pm  Reply with quote

After a few trips to the range/pattern boards I hate to admit it, but I have to leave the 16ga in the safe and take a 12 ga for the turkey. It's a trap gun so the bottom of the pattern is at the bead. At 30 yards the pattern averaged a dozen #6 in the neck/head of the target. the 16 ga is more open and is much better suited to flying birds- I'll be shooting the 12 almost like a rifle.
Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:17 am  Reply with quote

The only issue I have with some of the downloadable turkey head targets for patterning is that because of the small size of the paper they may not accurately reflect point of aim versus point of impact of a load and gun. Unless one can insure that the point of aim and impact match, one might not get an accurate center mass count of shot. I start out with a 3' x 3' sheet of HD construction paper and adjust sights, red dot or point of aim in accord with what the pattern on paper reflects versus point of aim. I don't shoot at 40 yards until I establish windage and elevation at 20 yards which insures that the pattern will at least cover the paper at 40 yards. IF necessary, I adjust at 40 yards, too. I want a minimum of 100 shot in a 10" circle at whatever range that occurs. Over the years I've dug out old shot in turkeys where either the aim was off or shot was taken out of range. Despite taking care to insure that point of aim and impact match, I'll miss a bird every few years. It's the Indian, not the arrow. Gil
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:54 am  Reply with quote

I took this Tom with my 16 ga, 870 Wingmaster and a buffered load of #5 lead @ 30 yards.

3/4" spurs and 9 3/4" beard.

Location was in the Sand Hills of Nebraska.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:03 am  Reply with quote

Nice Going MSM. We called a really nice tom but he only came to about 60 yards- way too far for a reasonable shot- but he did put on quite a show for our decoys. There were just too many live hens around him for him to leave them for our plastic hens. It was quite exciting to watch him and the hens.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:23 am  Reply with quote

AM,

This tom didn't listen to the boss hen, he came over to pick a fight with the tom decoy we had out. A few clucks was all that was needed to get him in close.