16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Bismuth starting direction
Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls
Blue Dot, HS-6 and Longshot Powders
CB0078 & 0100 wads plus a few Super G mini's
#3.5 and #6 Bismuth

I have all the books, manuals and even Tom Rosters booklet. I just want to find some decent staring points so I don't have to make as many experimental loads. That could get expensive in this pursuit. I was hoping some of the 16ga guys here would have some experience with these components.

Any head start is greatly appreciated!

Orwell

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 7:44 pm  Reply with quote

Use a 1 1/8 oz. existing lead load and substitute the Bismuth for the lead to get a 1 oz. 16 gauge Bismuth load.

Use a 1 oz. existing lead load and substitute the Bismuth for the lead to get a 7/8 oz. 16 gauge Bismuth load.

That is as difficult as it gets.

Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:51 am  Reply with quote

Mark is correct. Just measure your shot by volume and not weight. Easy,peasy.
Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:21 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Use a 1 1/8 oz. existing lead load and substitute the Bismuth for the lead to get a 1 oz. 16 gauge Bismuth load.

Use a 1 oz. existing lead load and substitute the Bismuth for the lead to get a 7/8 oz. 16 gauge Bismuth load.

That is as difficult as it gets.

So I have adjustable charge bar...just find the right Bismuth fill that makes the proper crimp in a hull setup for 1 1/8 lead and I'm good to go. That makes sense. If you're going a little lighter payload wise, it shouldn't be a problem...just a little faster than the lead load but a bit less pressure I'd think.

Oddly enough I did a little math and the amount of Bismuth you end up with will be around 11% less than lead which is the weight differential?
As usual I over complicated things...thx!

HL

MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
So I have adjustable charge bar...just find the right Bismuth fill that makes the proper crimp in a hull setup for 1 1/8 lead and I'm good to go. That makes sense. If you're going a little lighter payload wise, it shouldn't be a problem...just a little faster than the lead load but a bit less pressure I'd think.

Not really.

You want to throw 1 oz. of Bismuth if you are using a 1 1/8 oz. lead load. Do not adjust the bar until you get the right crimp. Adjust the bar to throw the correct amount of Bismuth.

Do not go by volume because you will probably be using the next size larger Bismuth shot and you will be throwing light.

Just like any other load you always make sure that you are throwing a certain weight of powder and shot. Bismuth is no different.

Rules of thumb are bad. This current thoughts about using the same volume is OK, I guess, sometimes, maybe. Always throw the correct weights and things will go exactly the way they should.

Harry_Orwell
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 6:59 pm  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Quote:

Not really.

You want to throw 1 oz. of Bismuth if you are using a 1 1/8 oz. lead load. Do not adjust the bar until you get the right crimp. Adjust the bar to throw the correct amount of Bismuth.

Do not go by volume because you will probably be using the next size larger Bismuth shot and you will be throwing light.

Just like any other load you always make sure that you are throwing a certain weight of powder and shot. Bismuth is no different.

Rules of thumb are bad. This current thoughts about using the same volume is OK, I guess, sometimes, maybe. Always throw the correct weights and things will go exactly the way they should.

Gotcha! That should be easy enough. I'll measure it when the time comes and make sure it weighs right. Hopefully it'll be a nice stack height. Any guidance on a good starting lead recipe. I've been loading mostly 1oz for my clay games and Dove/Quail hunting. That was mostly with Unique because I had 8# of it. Unique is kinda rare on the 1 1/8 oz load data but i have 4# of Blue Dot and 2#'s of Longshot which seem to dominate the sheets. I haven't loaded any 1 1/8 oz 16ga so I don't have a good starting point...Do you guys have any recipes that tend to work well in this scenario?

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 3:58 pm  Reply with quote

Here are a couple lead recipes for Fiocchi hulls:

Fiocchi 2 3/4 1 1/8 Longshot 22.5 Fio 616 SG16 7,700 1200

Fiocchi 2 3/4 1 1/8 Longshot 23.0 Win 209 Rem SP16 6,700 1180

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."