16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Marlin 31 16ga
Pbking51
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 7:45 pm  Reply with quote

I didn't even remember buying this guy but while moving I found it in the back of the safe. Pretty neat safety and takedown. Tight wood, no cracks, a few scratches here and there, but I would call it an 80-85% gun with all original finish all day. 30" barrel. Not wven sure of chamber length. Serial is only 5xx so it must be real early. I've bought guns like a lunatic the last 2 years and don't really need another 16 pump. Any idea what these guns are worth these days?
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 7:27 am  Reply with quote

“1998 Marlin Issues Warning on Obsolete Shotguns”
http://www.handgunrepairshop.com/Marlin_Shotgun_Warning.html
Marlin has no records of manufacture such as materials, heat treatment procedures, or acceptance standards.
This combination of age, unknown metallurgy, and life history in a large percentage of these units has prompted the company to strongly recommend against these guns being fired.
Of major concern are failures in the firing system - but there is no clear cut failure mode or sequence of events leading to such failures.
The effected Models are: 1898, 16, 17, 19, 19S, 19G, 19N, 21, 24, 24G, 26, 30, 42, 49, & 49N exposed-hammer slide-action shotguns; and Models 28, 31, 43, 44, 53, & 63 hammerless slide-action shotguns.

Hunter-Trader-Trapper 1922

[url=https://drewhause.smugmug.com/US-Makers/Stevens-Marlin/i-4XjxT4D/A] [/url]

Then again Mark Arie put a few rounds through his Model 28D; 1920 Olympic Games

[url=https://drewhause.smugmug.com/Trap-Skeet/Olympics-1901-Match/i-NBkWZcq/A] [/url]

Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 7:43 am  Reply with quote

Talk about washing your hands of responsibility for everything you made prior to a certain date. Also have to consider this is what you get in official response when the corporate lawyers get involved.

With that said, I would assume lower pressure rounds and maybe more often inspections for signs of failure after use.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Pbking51
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 12:21 pm  Reply with quote

I'll tell you one thing. The gun feels solid and slick as snot.i would think if one were not interested in shooting it due to the 1998 statement, it's still not out of a collectable % rating. The side plate goes on and off just like a fine s&w revolver.
waggo71
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

I bought one a while back for next to nothing, early 200 serial number. It seems like I learned at the time that they made them roughly 1914-1917? Like you I had the itch to shoot it, took it out rabbit hunting one day and cranked half a dozen field load 1 oz Herter's shells through it...the gun and I both mad it home unscathed. Still have it but always find myself reaching for one of the model 12's first.

Researcher
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 9:36 am  Reply with quote

The Marlin Model 31 16-gauge was only offered 1914 to 1917. The "standard" 16-gauge shell in North America at that time was 2 9/16-inch.

Marlin has gone through so many different ownerships since that time. From 1870 to 1916 operated by the Marlin family. J.P. Morgan put together Marlin - Rockwell for war production for WW-I. After The Great War, they began divesting everything but the ball-bearing business and by 1922, the Marlin Firearms Corporation headed by John F. Moran was in the New Haven city directory. It only lasted a couple of years and by 1924 the Kenna family took over and it became the Marlin Firearms Company.

Pbking51
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2022 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

So nobody has any idea on value haha
Lloyd3
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 5:46 am  Reply with quote

https://www.lofty.com/products/1909-marlin-model-31-single-hammer-16-gauge-pump-action-shotgun-1-gejrb

Not sure of the timing of the above auction but I'm guessing that condition here is everything. Value is also driven by demand, and because of the abovementioned hand-washing article about them being unsafe, they really are orphans now. If I found one in good shape and had some curiosity about owning it, $200 to $300 would likely be my limit.

last dollar
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:33 am  Reply with quote

I bought a very short barrel at an auction for a defunct bank It was apparently a guard gun.. I shot the snot out of it..didnt blow up nor skip a beat....
Pbking51
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:21 pm  Reply with quote

I just threw it on GB. Someone either may or may not bid haha
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/935302323
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

It’s an interesting shotgun. It has a bit of a World War 1 look to it.