16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Competition Skeet Clues Needed
Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 11:19 pm  Reply with quote

We’ve greatly enjoyed our registered skeet shoots at the club lately (using 16 ga in 12 class) but some seasoned expertise is badly needed. Specifically, we seem to be running out of steam somewhere after 75-80 targets. Losing focus, chasing targets, making dumb mistakes, etc. resulting in missing easiest targets like 7 hi and low, 8 hi, whereas these are never missed in practice, as well as safety switch & barrel select fouls. Mostly using comfortable 7/8 oz loads in Citori.
Pointers, anyone?

TIA
B.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:43 am  Reply with quote

Believe it or not. A person needs to exercise like lift weights mow lawn with a push mower, ride bike by going farther everyday to build your stimulate up for longer endurance. Once you do that you'll be able to stay focused longer on target without notice only by score.
16'er
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:20 am  Reply with quote

In addition to stamina training, look closely at diet.

Choosing complex carbs and protein is better over time than simple sugars.

Watch heavy am caffeine intake. Caffeine has a five to six hour half life iirc. Drop off is a real thing, especially if your loading simple sugars into your coffee. Flavored creamers are mostly sugar, so avoid those.

Stay hydrated.

Creatine is a amino acid that can be used by your brain for energy. Consider dosing some creatine supplement on game day. I find that in the field, it definitely helps my over time performance.

Everyone’s body is a bit different, and finding optimal fuel for performance can take a bit of research. There’s plenty of information out there for direction on sports nutrition.

Overall, I’ll admit it won’t have the biggest impact on the results, but it will make some difference going down the stretch!
bigblue
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 3:52 am  Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Maybe that little blue pill but at my age breathing gets to be a chore.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:25 am  Reply with quote

Ha , the little Blue pill COULD be the it !!! I shoot with Parsons all the time when some one is not there that day from his group . They are there by 9 in the AM and shoot an aft 410 league on Tues . I never see him drink coffee , maybe he does before he gets there . (or soda) . What they do do when a large event is coming on is shoot at least 6 , maybe 8 rounds practice . A regular event around here is all 4 gauges , therefore 16rds (oops , forgot doubles and shootoffs ) over a wkend . So what Hammer Bill said is quite true about building up stamina !! Craig only shoots 2 guns , a Kolar 4ga set with a reg 12barrel , and , he only shoots the 1100 for shootoffs and winter leagues ,(a tricked up 1100) . He also always practices with either the 28 or 410 tubes in the Kolar - all winter even . Brewster , I think you are on the right track totally with the loads you use .

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 6:30 am  Reply with quote

I attended Bobski's Van Zant "Shoot and Hoot" in April and noticed my left arm that supported most of the shotgun weight was aching after a couple of rounds of skeet or trap. Now I'm into the local club's trap league where we shoot 2 rounds on our designated evening and have noticed my second round scores dropping off compared to my first round. It all is related to body conditioning and I'm now lifting weights three times a week in addition to my normal 4 miles a day of chasing after my three male GSP's. I turn 81 in a couple of months and recovering my strength and endurance is not going to be instantaneous, so I think I'm going to try to keep up with lighter weights year round. I'm 5'10" and the same 160 pounds that I weighed on graduation from Navy flight training in 1965, but obviously I'm not the same heat treated stud I was back then, and most likely never will be again. This getting old stuff is not for the faint hearted.

Brewster11
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 8:40 am  Reply with quote

Many thanks all for the ideas. Very helpful and offering hope for improvement.
B.