16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Winchester 209….?
probie
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2022 1:46 pm  Reply with quote

I'm starting to hear this same sentiment a lot lately, in fact, just today again at a local GS. Owner was trying to convince a potential buyer into buying the now 70,000 NS 688s he has sitting on his shelves these past 10 days saying " a primer is just a primer" . The guy asked him for some data and there isn't any in 16ga. I know, i've called &* emailed Noble and they don't respond. The problem for some of us is its been so ingrained in us that you must follow a recipe or you're going to be blown up. About 15-20 yrs back some big Rep from Ruger was killed when is AR he was reloading for blew up. Never did get to the bottom of that but it was mentioned that he had tons of experience. I've been reloading 45 yrs, but gave up shotshells 40 yrs ago, and I've never seen anything like this before re difficulty obtaining components OR data. For a 16ga, most of the data is the same as it was 40 yrs ago. Yet, new (euro) hulls have been added, new primers also along with wads, ALL which can change ballistics, especially so if you change the primer.
I've also heard it on other forums, one doesn't get data off the internet. Couple all this and you have hesitation from guys like me. I survived 9/11 as a fire officer & i'd look pretty silly with my shotgun wrapped around my neck. I'm NOT arguing you, i'm agreeing with you but even with my experience reloading metallic, I just don't think I'm good enough to create my own new shotloads. Guys like me have to ask a lot of questions. What do you suggest? Where & what hulls, primers , specific loads are you using ? Post them. I've heard that there's tons of experience & knowledge here on 16ga & that there are many willing to help us newbies.