16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  chokes
hunterdau2
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 3:03 pm  Reply with quote

Anyone have a source for choke tubes for a Iside ?
Builder
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 3:57 am  Reply with quote

Carlson's Choke Tubes are on sale starting tomorrow. Google them and call for advice.

Rdg
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:07 am  Reply with quote

I'm like 95% positive the 16G FAIR Isides use the same choke system as the 16G Franchi's

I know my 16G FAIR NEA 400 does and I'd assume the Isides would be the same.

There all technichoke.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/ssearch.html?Search=franchi+16g+choke#/q:franchi$252016ga$2520choke
double vision
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 4:26 am  Reply with quote

Rdg wrote:
I'm like 95% positive the 16G FAIR Isides use the same choke system as the 16G Franchi's

I know my 16G FAIR NEA 400 does and I'd assume the Isides would be the same.

There all technichoke.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/ssearch.html?Search=franchi+16g+choke#/q:franchi$252016ga$2520choke

Correct. I bought one from MWG and it does indeed fit. They are not polished and as nice as the 16 ga. FAIR Technichokes, but they work.

I also picked up a couple 28 gauge Technichokes from MWG and they are identical to the FAIR supplied chokes.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 5:17 am  Reply with quote

F.A.I.R. started out making chokes and threading barrels for other gun makers especially in the subgauge. The Franchi 16, 28 and 410 tubes are Technichoke made by F.A.I.R. the 12 and 20 Franchi are Beretta Mobil chokes I believe.

I've found it interesting that F.A.I.R. does not offer the Technichoke XP50 16 ga. tubes in SK or LM and neither does Trulock. Have a feeling George doesn't make the tubes but may get raw tubes from F.A.I.R. then stamps them, just a guess.

Briley of course will custom make you tubes but they are backed up 4 months right now and a bit spendy. I'm waiting on 22 custom bore matched tubes from them for various guns and it has been ~4 months now. None are for the F.A.I.R. 16 ga. Iside or NEA 500 between them and the various tubes I've picked up over the years I'm pretty set on F.A.I.R. chokes. Some of the factory Cyl ones measure .003-.004 which is perfect for SK in the 16 at least IMO.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 12:34 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

For many years we bird hunted with our double guns with M/F permanent chokes, no screw in chokes were available at that time. We altered our shotgun shell types to fit the bird hunting we were doing. For our 16 gauge & 20 gauge guns, we had to roll our own and trim shells to make everything work perfectly, in our Classic American & Best German guns. Things got even better when RST started providing the 2 1/2" shells our pre 13 guns required. Some of the men did order their Grouse guns with more open IC/M standard chokes, right from the factory. However what really made the difference for shooting different birds, was the shells. The screw in chokes are just a minor engineering factor when it comes to making repeat bird killing patterns. IMO screw in chokes are a bit over rated, the real advancement is actually the different shells like the RST & Polywad SpredR's that are now available for our guns. I have many pre 13 guns Choked M/F that get the job done while bird hunting, especially today with the fantastic RST & Polywad shells.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Our old 1913 16 Gauge L.C. Smith Hammer Gun accounted for lots of Grouse, Woodcock and Pheasants with M/F Chokes, and the correct shells.

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers