16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Challenger Shotshells
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

Just wanted to share as I’ve not be on much the last month or so. Our Trap Club ordered a large volume of this 12 gauge ammo in the 1 oz model. I’ve noticed that it tends to stick in some guns. Seeing it more than what I would call random. Several of us have used trial and error to find firearms that it doesn’t seem to have this issue in. We’ve seen extractors tearing chunks out of the side of the shell rims when they stick.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

When I started having that problem is used my supersizor. Took them .002 below factory. The brand you are getting try measure them as close under the rim as possible. I used calipers with the knife edge just below the rim. The go .002 below the measurement. Worked for me.
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:55 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion. Theses are factory loads. Challenger is the ammunition brand.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:41 am  Reply with quote

Charlie , this is just a sign of the times issue . Our Kolar guys use 1100's when they have their guns out for service . They bought Fios and Estates ! Shot a few and gave them all away - same issue . The kids shoot 90% Feds and and have had some stick issues too ... Believe what H-Bill is saying is size the factory loads . (the Fed issue happens with the new plastic base cases - never had that issue with the old fiber base cases - love them !!)

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:24 am  Reply with quote

I shot a couple of boxes of 12 ga. Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics at a shoot where the ammo was supplied to the shooters. I had 3 or 4 rounds that didn't get extracted from the chamber. I shoot a Benelli SS and I have never had a reload (or any other ammo) do this. I was kind of surprised but maybe I shouldn't have been.

Jagdhund
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:35 am  Reply with quote

I'm an assistant coach for our high school trap team. This season we had some ammo difficulties: a couple R-P rounds that pulled the heads off and left the hull in the chamber when fired in SKB semis, a Federal Top Gun load that had the head smashed and distorted and one that did not have metal on the cap of the primer. Fortunately, the shooter saw it before chambering the round. Another round had the crimp so distorted, it would not chamber. We also had a few misfires, most of which fired on the second attempt.

A half-dozen or so rounds is not a high number compared to the number of rounds fired during the season. However, we had virtually no problems in the previous three seasons. I'm guessing that the factories are running full tilt to get ammo out and inspection/quality has suffered somewhat.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:17 am  Reply with quote

It has become the thing to outsource to smaller manufactures when capacity won't allow enough time or material to catch up. The supplier has specifications to go by but their are many way to stay within specs and still get around cheating for cutting cost. This has been going on for more than 30 years or more. Plus many factories have part time help who care Lee's about quality.
Over the last couple years the symptoms spoken of above has been clearing up. But in the medical field it's a disease going rapid.