16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Wadless shotshells no kidding see latest Shooting Sportsman
Jta5er
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:25 pm  Reply with quote

Latest Shooting Sportsman; Roster writes about Jay poly wad guys new patents on shells loaded with walnut hull and corn cob media as a buffer(wad between powder and shot) and it works?
Exciting new concept, I hate leaving plastic wads all over the place.
I would buy a reloading data book on this stuff!

T-Bird
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 4:22 am  Reply with quote

me too, I don't like leaving plastic everywhere either.
stevesavage
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:06 am  Reply with quote

Why not fiber wads? They seem to work well.
Carlos
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:15 pm  Reply with quote

About a Century ago there was the SWEDISH WAD. Made of paper pulp, hollowed at both ends. Over powder wad, cushion wad and shot cup all in one. All it needed to complete the package would be a cylindrical shot protecting sleeve.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 5:42 am  Reply with quote

I think it's nice to have "alternatives " to our reg stuff , just in case the day comes ! I am still working thru 40 yr old Herters wads , which will take me to the end , but you never know !

bigblue
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:45 am  Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing I am still loading Lujutics in 12 , 28 , and 410 gauge . What is old is new to funny.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:02 pm  Reply with quote

I read that column last night. One nagging question I have is just how many burning embers hit the dry grass when one ignites powder behind that much ground up walnut media.

Another nagging question is if things shift and sift around as these shells shake around in your pockets during a day of hunting the hills. I really don't want shot to slip back through or powder to work its way up. Just how well does walnut media push the shot charge ahead? I have seen steel shot loads where pellets have passed partially back through the wad, so much so that powder gasses burned the point of "breech" (mostly in Black Cloud).

Another detail I don't see discussed is sealing efficiency. Does it take more powder due to initial blow-by or is this method as effective a plastic gas seal? I don't like the idea if I need to burn 20% more powder to do the same job.

As a buffer, what was pictured is a bit course. When it comes to buffer, the finer it is ground, the more effective it is. Even Roster himself has emphatically stated this in the past.

However, the thought of using ground up corn cob as the cushion section between a gas seal and shot cup may have interesting potential. As much as I detest the slow process of using "stacked" components for a wad column, this would give tremendous adjustability for stack height in a variety of hull and load combinations.

I guess time will tell and we will see how all this plays out sooner or later.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:58 am  Reply with quote

The issue I see with it, from a handloading POV, how do you mix corncob/walnut shells in with the shot. Maybe on commercial equipment it is easy, it won't be easy for the average guy handloading. Grex was a pain to get properly sifted in, trying to get lighter and larger pieces of corncob and walnut shells to mix is going to be very time consuming. Then you will have to add some kind of a paper wrapper

I am going to try it with some clear Fiocchi 12 gauge hulls. Probably try putting in a layer of corncob then shot and then corncob and then try putting in all the corncob and then the shot. I will fire these shells and let you know.

Hammer bill
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:38 pm  Reply with quote

Personally I think it's trying to start another fad for a quick buck and then fade away. Similar things has been tried over the years. To make something go it must be quick and easy. Otherwise most people will just spend the dollar so as not to do anything.. just my 2 cents.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:50 pm  Reply with quote

Well.......this is what I tried. I took a Fiocchi 1 1/8 oz. Shooting Dynamics load apart and left the primer and powder in the hull and cut the hull to about 2 1/4" long. I put about 1/4" of corncob over the powder, dropped in 1 oz. of shot and more corncob. and held the hull against a vibratory tumbler. It took about 30 seconds to mix up the shot and corncob, the powder did not mix into the corncob. I put an 8 point crimp on the hull about .050" deep. Put the load in a Beretta Onyx setup the shotgun about 20' away and pulled the trigger using a long string. Nice solid report, didn't seem to be an excess of recoil. Certainly didn't harm the shotgun. Left a fair amount of debris in the bore, a lot more than any target load I have ever shot. Much dirtier than any other load I have ever used.

I wouldn't suggest that this was a top notch idea, but it certainly did work. Before you go trying this, remember that you are basically playing with a buffered load and the pressure could be a bit more than you might expect.

I still don't understand why a guy wouldn't just want to use card and fiber wads, that are certainly easier to assemble than this load was.

3drahthaars
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:08 am  Reply with quote

I'm with Mark on this... simple fiber wad like in the old days.

So long as the fiber is biodegradeable.

I think that hemp would make a good material for its sustainability and ability to replace cotton and tobacco.

Just my$.02,