16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  600 LB Black Bear here on our front porch this evening.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:37 pm  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

A new Visitor this evening, 400 Lb female Black Bear, also trying to raid the big Bear proof Garbage Can. I may have to move the Can farther out on the property to keep the Bears at a safe distance from the log cabin, especially at night.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

You sure it isn't one of those bigfoots the Commonwealth says doesn't exist? The signs seem to be in your neighborhood.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/pennsylvania-parks-officials-release-curious-statement-about-bigfoot-warnings/ar-AA12RZxn?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3070e38d8ba142dd8ded5109dcdabbb8

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

DaveinME,

If there was such a thing as big Foot in our Potter County woods, as much Grouse hunting as our family has done thru the ages, somebody in our family with their dogs, would have seen it. We do have some big Cats the PGC does not want hunters to actually know about, hunting them is illegal in Pa. The last on shot back in the 70's was brought in and placed on a Wardens desk top, the old Sheep farmer wanted payed for the sheep the Cat had been killing and eating. It made the Pa hunting magazine photos and all.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Soggy socks
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:29 am  Reply with quote

Haven't had an issue with any since spring. We are pretty good about getting rid of our garbage a couple times a week. We had just got back from NY and hour before with our trash from there when a good sized one hit it. I had trouble getting him to leave. Have a couple trail cam pics in the driveway in September and I always check as best I can before letting the dog out. Haven't shot one in years had one 1/2 mount and another in rug.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 9:55 am  Reply with quote

Boon,

Looks like we had a nice Grouse hatch, shot 2 opening day with some real nice dog work from my Gordon pup. Have seen grouse most every time out, hardly any chance to shoot it is so thick in the woods. Also miss 2 Woodcock opening day, homie birds, could not get my 28"barrel gun around to down the Woodcock in the thick habitat, no flight in here yet. Hoping to see the flight this weekend, my friends up in ME and northern NY say the flight is in, in their areas. The one bad thing is all the wild birds are mighty spooky right now, and this early in the season that is not good.

All the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man