16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  16 ga at the State Skeet Championships
Brewster11
PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:38 pm  Reply with quote

After buckling down with practice sessions and some coaching, we took the Citori to the State Skeet Championships today to compete in the 12ga class. Scores were decidedly mixed but the experience (this being my first season) was a giant step forward.

The atmosphere was a little tense but we joined in and started modestly with a 21, then a 23, followed by a 25 (first ever!). The final round was a letdown that knocked me out of the running for a trophy, but we finished in the middle of our class. I’m counting it as a solid success.

The Citori gave an excellent account of itself. No questions or wary looks from anyone concerning a 16ga in 12 class. To the contrary, the reaction was universal: Good for you, if you like it and shoot well, stick with it. Several 20 ga shooters in 12 class anyway. The way I feel about it right now, with the 7/8 oz load I can break any target I want with it.

Only one lower barrel FTF but it cost me a target on Hi 1 when I failed to regroup on the retry, my only miss on that station. I’ll have to do something about it, but I won’t let it keep me from moving ahead. Next goal: 50 straight. Then shoot for the stars.

B.
kennedy756
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:17 am  Reply with quote

good shooting, I get the same reaction when I shoot trap with my 16 ga citori.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:32 am  Reply with quote

I shoot in the trap games. What ever yardage is picked I don't care as long as I'm in the game. Plus Draw partner. Pick your partner, piece protection, 5 from the porch. The 16 is all I shoot. About where ever I go somebody knows me or heard of me. Guys come up and say. Are you the guy that shoots a 16. I say yes. They say I heard about you.
I win my fare share of the money.
Last Friday I won a case of 12ga challengers. I shot 8 games and only paid 9.60 for all that shooting. Plus I said the challengers for 75.00. I'd say not a bad night. One shooter came in last Friday with a new 32" Rizzini. Will take him a little time to realize that 16 will keep up with any 12ga from any position.
Several years ago I shot skeet with my 26" 325. My longest run with it was 127 before a miss. Shot several 75 straight. I got out to go for trap game for the money. I don't win much. I do usually win enough to pay for my rounds and alittle take home change. All with a 16. Stick with it. You'll be right in their next time. Hammer Bill
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:44 am  Reply with quote

Brewster11 & Hammer Bill,

Real nice shooting gentlemen, love to see the 16 gauge guns doing well in the shoot offs. Keep up the good work guys.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Researcher
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:04 am  Reply with quote

Way to go Brewster11. Good to hear of the 16-gauges getting out in competition.

Back in the early 1970s when I was shooting Winchester Model 12/42s in NSSA Skeet I thought about getting a 16-gauge Model 12 Skeet Gun as it would be much closer to my 20- and 28-gauge in handling and feel.

Where was the Washington State Shoot held this year?

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:29 am  Reply with quote

Researcher - just think if the Byrdog hull trimmer and the DR wad for 7/8 skeet loads were avail then !! Slightly shorter hulls to make SURE they wouldn't stick coming out , and those reduced loads to ensure the gun stayed under control when shooting doubles - WHOO - HOO !!! I tell Nick all the time it's too bad he didn't take the bet 50yrs earlier!!

Brewster11
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:58 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Where was the Washington State Shoot held this year?

Seattle Skeet and Trap (SST) Ravensdale WA. Great event plus a prime rib dinner at the club grounds.

Lynden is next as I understand things. Spokane Club is trying to get back in the rotation but they lost a recent court ruling to a nearby cemetery that objected to the proximity of the newly purchased club property.

B.
Researcher
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:35 am  Reply with quote

I'm well aware of the Spokane Gun Club problems!!

I shot at Ravensdale in 2003 and 2004 while I was in Seattle cleaning out the house on Queen Anne Hill where I grew up and my father lived for 59 years. Since living here in sight of Idaho, I've stopped by Ravensdale a couple of times when I was on the west side just so I could shoot on a properly laid out skeet field!!

bfox
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:11 am  Reply with quote

I have been shooting skeet for a long time just for fun. The last three years I have been shooting registered events with my son. My competition gun is a 16 ga. Citori 525 that I sent off to Briley to have 28 gauge and 410 tubes made. I shoot the 16 for doubles and the 12 ga. events, and the 28 in the 20 and 28 ga events. In skeet, you can shoot up a gauge. So, the 16 is no problem for the 12 ga events. For doubles, you can use any gauge that you want. Probably half of the shooters use a 20 gauge for the 12 ga. and doubles events. I have yet to see another shooter using a 16 in competition. I do like the reactions from other shooters when they find out I'm using a 16.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:58 am  Reply with quote

just a reminder I'm sure you are all familiar with - make sure you have Xtra shells with you as the refs won't have them .... shot a 49 straight with my M12 many moons ago . A trap boy walked out in front of me and I pulled the shot out afield as I would have been close to nailing him ! got the do-over , but only had 50 shells with me ! I was OK with the 49 !

gunsnrods
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:29 am  Reply with quote

I have a 1938 Model 12 16 gauge bonafide skeet gun….choked IC. When I bought it the gun was factory original with a sawed off stock with slip on recoil pad. I had the gun professionally restored, it now has a beautiful exhibition wood stock.
Who knows the history here, gun was likely ordered by a small statured man or women skeet shooter.
It is time to move it on to someone who would appreciate it!

RLR390
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 6:50 am  Reply with quote

I shoot my Browning 16 ga all the time for Sporting clays. Everybosy else on my squad uses a 12. Lot less felt recoil with the 16 IMO.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 9:14 am  Reply with quote

Since I shoot at many different clubs that shoot game. I'm surprised how many guys don't remember my name, but they all say your the guy with the 16 right.

I guess I should say the best compliment I ever had about me and my 16 happened couple few years ago. I took a friend with me to a game shoot about hundred miles away. I went out to the line on a 22yrd 16 game. While I was shooting my friend was in the clubhouse with some other guys watching out the window. When he told one of the fellows that Bill says he only shoots a 16. And the guy remarked. Ya and he's deadly with that SOB to.
He told me that on the drive home. The guy that told him that was a Indiana Hall of Famer. All I did was having a big grin on the drive home.Bill
1stgun
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

Brewster, Bravo!

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 4:32 pm  Reply with quote

Loved shooting at Ravensdale when I lived up in Tacoma. Nicest range I've been to.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."