16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  shoot the porcupine!
nj gsp
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:00 am  Reply with quote

Then there was this guy I knew who always said, "I shoot every Porky I see". He shot one that was sitting in a tree, and when it hit the ground his dog pounced on it. It resulted in a trip to vet for quill removal that was easily avoidable if he'd just left the porcupine alone.

Many time a person lost in the woods has survived because they were able to kill a porcupine and not starve to death. You can pretty much walk up on them and kill them with a stick or a rock. But then again, many hunters today are city folk that know nothing of how to survive in the wild.
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:14 am  Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Having grown up in the Potter County, Pa mountains we are taught as youngsters to fit in with most all wild life, and train our dog to only hunt the game we want. Our Setter dogs usually do not run Deer or Bear. However the Dogrta T&B Collars are a very good trash breaker for sure. Our versatile gun dogs hunt everything they are suppose to and my SM dog was a great Turkey dog as well as an incredible Grouse dog, even though he hunted all different kinds of small game and was very very good at it.

We never kill any thing for the sake of just killing, we eat what we kill and only kill when necessary for safety when the animal is not something we are going to eat.
We have had Black Bear here on our property for generations, most of the time they are not trouble makers. Our big Weimar dog kept our kennel safe, she passed away this last year and now the Bears are coming closer to the log cabin than ever before.
I really hope I do not have to kill any of them, I might have to look into getting another Weimar Versatile gun dog.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Last edited by Pine Creek/Dave on Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
buckmark
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:48 pm  Reply with quote

eng-pointer wrote:
This is why hunting gets the rep of just a bunch of morons going out to kill stuff. Let the angry retorts begin.

James

I tend to agree, too many clowns killing stuff just cause it moves. And I love how guys blame the porc for 'messin with their dog'...I'm guessing most times the quilly critter was minding his own and your dog decided to mess with him, so might as well shoot him dead. I could care less if guys here don't agree with my opinion, hunters are their own worst enemy when it comes to bragging about 'kill em all' and exactly why they are losing public support.

gunsrus
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:11 pm  Reply with quote

Never shoot the porky in front of the dog . He will consider it game . Takes a lot of restraint to pull the quilled dog away without shooting the porky . Ask me how I know .
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

gunsrus,

Good point absolutely correct, put your dogs in the cabin or in your vehicle, then have somebody drive the vehicle away from where you have to kill the Porkey. You do not want your dogs believeing you are shooting game for them.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

3drahthaars
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:05 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave, gunsrus and buckmark,

Spot on about "hunters" and shooting off-game! I've owned Drahthaars for 30 years... nuff said.

3 were out and out beasts, and now one that won't strike unless she's "wronged".

I've never encountered a porcupines, and until this recent pup only one skunk.

And, after repeated returns to that same skunk I didn't shoot it. Honestly, she played with it, flipped it up into the air, and tried to get it to squeak. She did it long enough for it to lay down 4 toothpaste sized streaks of schmu on her cheeks, back and crown of her head. Her eyes were swollen shut. But, she still perks up at the smell of one on the roadside.

Had I shot, I'm sure we would have turned woodcock and wood duck hunts into skunk outings.

Best to just leave some things alone...

Shoot it, and they'll consider it game from then on
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:56 am  Reply with quote

3d,
What most dog owner do not know is that skunk spray is like their ladies good perfume to a dog, unless it gets into the dogs eyes it does them no harm and they actually like the smell.
Most hunting dogs once sprayed keep going back for more unless you break them of it.
Versatile dogs like your D's, and my Weimar and SM need to be trained not to go near a skunk or mink, the smell to us humans is really bad and toxic.

If you have ever had a Versatile dog kill a skunk the smell lasts for months no matter what you do to get rid of it. Each time the dog gets wet the smell seem to come back.

Porkies are in reality much more dangerous to you hunting dog than a skunk, unless you get all the quills out the dog can perish years later from a quill working into the dogs lungs or heart. A quill in the wrong place unseen can end up killing a gun dog.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

16gaDavis
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:18 am  Reply with quote

Been waiting for the skunk thing to show up Dave . My dad's dogs loved them , our buddy Nick here love's them (or his dogs !) . More of an annoyance than Porkies . I've always let them pass when they weren't causing problems (porkies), but kept an eye out for their presents . Chewed wood of any kind etc . I understand Marks concerns for sure , as a puss full of prickies is bad . Fortunately , the Beagle never had any particular interest in critters that weren't hauling a++ ! But , I was always on the ready just in case!

nj gsp
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 9:31 am  Reply with quote

If your dog gets sprayed, mix 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup baking soda, and about 2 tablespoons of Dawn together. Apply to the dog dry (do not pre-wet the dog) and scrub in thoroughly. Avoid getting in ears and eyes. Let lathered dog soak for 5-10 minutes, then rinse clean with warm water (if possible). This should get most if not all of the skunk smell out. If there is a little lingering aroma, you can repeat when the dogs coat is dry.

I don’t go anywhere without the ingredients along!
boon hogganbeck
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

My dog pointed a huge one in a grouse cover I hunt a lot in Tioga Co, I zapped the dog and got him away, then I blasted it—because I kept hearing that I should. Honestly regret it in hindsight— I just do not like shooting an animal I will not eat. Don’t think I’ll be doing that again.

A couple days later I got to thinking that I should hang it up in a tree, so somebody’s dog doesn’t get into it. I went back and, to my amazement, saw that it had been totally consumed, with just a pile of quills left behind. I wonder what animal did that.
3birddogs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:59 am  Reply with quote

I rarely will shoot one, my 3 female setters arent that agressive and dont attack them. I will remove every raccoon I come across as they are out of control in my area, but I leave possums alone. They are so ugly, they need a break. I am currently in the UP and expect to come across some porkies.
Eng Pointer, I agree with you, BTW, my brother is a veterinarian also, mostly doing surgeries.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:29 am  Reply with quote

gunsrus wrote:
Never shoot the porky in front of the dog . He will consider it game . Takes a lot of restraint to pull the quilled dog away without shooting the porky . Ask me how I know .

One of the first things my grandfather taught me about hunting was to never shoot a porky in front of a dog. He was a smart man.

I made the mistake of taking a picture of the largest porky I had ever seen in 2009. The dogs ears are laid back because I was hitting the ecollar hard. It never did help with porky avoidance.

Right after I took the picture the porky came down the tree and all hell broke loose. I will never take another picture of a porky with the dog in tow.

boon hogganbeck wrote:
My dog pointed a huge one in a grouse cover I hunt a lot in Tioga Co, I zapped the dog and got him away, then I blasted it—because I kept hearing that I should. Honestly regret it in hindsight— I just do not like shooting an animal I will not eat. Don’t think I’ll be doing that again.

A couple days later I got to thinking that I should hang it up in a tree, so somebody’s dog doesn’t get into it. I went back and, to my amazement, saw that it had been totally consumed, with just a pile of quills left behind. I wonder what animal did that.

Shot my first porky in Tioga County more than 40 years ago with a 16 ga. 37 much like you now have. So did most of my friends that I grew up with. Tells you how little impact it had on the population.

If you do shoot one, and NEVER in front of the dog, always place them as high as you can in a fork of a tree.
nwmac
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:14 am  Reply with quote

All good advice, I prefer to avoid and not kill a porcupine or any other critter, just because it's there. The area where this occurred, NE Montana, does not have a lot of tall brush to hang a dead porcupine up in, and how would you do that without getting stuck with quills. In a week of hunting, I encountered four live ones and at least that many dead or at least the remnants. Something, probably coyotes had consumed the carcass. So, I think training to avoid critters is the best answer. The locals told me this year they are seeing more than normal, and they think it is part of a population cycle.
Swampy16
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

If it’s an area I hunt, i shoot them. Think of it as a copperhead in the garden. You reach down to pick something and “BAM”, off to the hospital for $126,000 anti venom treatment which my buddies 94 yo mother just received after weeding her flowers in VA.
3drahthaars
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:21 pm  Reply with quote

Thought I'd post this since it worked for me.

Traditional yellow LISTERINE works on skunk spray!

My pup rides in the cab with me, sleeps in our bed... basically is a member of the household.

Listerine applied immediately after a skunking and rubbed in, then rinsed off and pup is tolerable in the truck and home...

... but, 6 months later ocean water will leach out the last final scent of the adventure.