16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading the New "Herter's hull
probie
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:24 pm  Reply with quote

Recently posted about Bass Pro/Cabellas bringing back that Herter's line. I never had any of the old hulls to try. I enjoy a challenge now & then & battened down for winter & with some free time figured I'd get a box or 2 & see if they're worth reloading. They are Ched hulls with the 4 stars stamped on the head. They are NOT true 2 3/4, just like the last round of short Rem Blacks, so i knew right from the start that i would have a stack or crimp issue & that adjustments would have to be made. Using Hodgdon Ched data, I selected a base load of 20.5 gr of UnivClays w/Sg16 @1165fps/7500 just about what the original load was. The first few crimped up nice but within a few minutes crimp just started to bulge up. Then tried a Prec Reload recipe using DR16s with a 7/8 load; column came level with mouth of hull. Only recipe i found to work with components i had was a Uniq @19 w/Sg16S . So far that appears to be holding. But one thing I definitely did not like; as I was handling these the plastic is rather stiff , brittle like and right out of the box 5-6 of them already have a crack at the mouth. These don't appear that they will last very long. For the price @ $15.99 I can get Winnys Super X which I have reloaded many times & they still look new. Since the Winnys are Cheds & these are Cheds one would think they're the same(?) That does not appear to be the case here.
lbrown
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:52 am  Reply with quote

I also just reloaded a box of the new Cheddite (Herters) hulls. They are just a bit shorter than the older (and cheaper!) purple Herters, and have higher brass. So far, neither the difference in length nore the higher brass seems to be a problem. I'm using the same load I've used to reload ever since Cabela's started selling the previous purple Herters:
Cheddite primer 17.3 grains 20/28
DR-16 wad
7/8 oz shot

Had them tested in the old hull by Armbrust when I first started to load them:

1182 fps; 7420 psi

Have we confirmed that the DR-16 is gone for good? I'm on my last bag. 20/28 is also hard to come by. But I have a lot of old Herters hulls plus a couple flats each of both the old and new Herters, so I may soon need to start looking for other components. I have a lot of the CB 7/8 oz wads, which work great for me in the black Rem hulls with Unique. Wish I'd seen the for sale offer on those! If anyone else has black Remingtons for sale, please PM me! I'll either buy or offer a variety of hulls for swapping. Thanks!
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:02 am  Reply with quote

I'm assuming the black herters and the rems are made by the same recipe somewhat. Rems always seemed stiffer hull which made them great for wear except for the fold area. The stiffness tended to cause the folds to split before the hull could wear out. Much of this has to do with the pigment in the color selected for the ID of hull. Same goes for the different in the types of blues, reds,greens, white or clear, plus the thickness of the side walls.
I've noticed over time that some colors don't take the cold temperatures well. So as not to keep record of which ones are affected by temperature I take a little precautions. Now this is just things I do and seems to work for the better for me. 1. Before I go to a shoot that will be under 50* I bring my loads in the house for 3 days at least to get the hulls temp plyable enough that don't seem to split as easy. This also makes the balastic more even from shot to shot. When I'm traveling I keep the loads inside the cab and covered up with blanket trying to keep even temperature for the plastic.
Now I have thousands of once fired of many brands empty hulls. I contribute this do to the precaution I take of the use of my hulls. I hardly use more than 300 hulls over the coarse of my trap and sporting season from April to December. I find 16 hulls on the ground
d plus buying some has really added to my stash. Plus I usually make enough from my winnings to pay for my shooting cost at a break even point. But I think the biggest point is keep you loads at a warm temperature on saving reloads. 6 to 8 reloads per hull is my average with 1200 to 1250 fps. Bill
3birddogs
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

lbrown, thanks for posting that tested load. I'm going to try it in a 2 1/2" cheddite hull and if it doesnt fit well, drop to 3/4 oz. I have 12 lbs of 20/28 that I use in my 20 and 28 ga's , of course. I usually use International in my 3/4 oz load but it is tough to find also, and Im on my last pound. I've still got about 700 or so DR 16. I wonder if the Claybuster wad would work with the 20/28.

readgriff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:40 am  Reply with quote

Ive loaded purple herters hulls for years with 7/8 once of shot,20 grains of Universal,and SG-16 wad with no crimp problem.
readgriff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:41 am  Reply with quote

Ive loaded purple Herters hulls for years with 7/8 once of shot,20 grains of Universal, and SG-16 wad with no crimp problem.
readgriff
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:42 am  Reply with quote

Ive loaded purple Herters hulls for years with 7/8 once of shot,20 grains of Universal, and SG-16 wad with no crimp problem.
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:34 am  Reply with quote

Readgriff, Is that a published and or tested load and what primer?

lbrown
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 8:37 am  Reply with quote

The Claybuster wad will work in the herters hulls, but being made of much thinner plastic than the DR wad, it takes up less space. The load I use was recommended to me but with the CB vs the DR wad. With the CB, it left too much space. I'm sure it would work with some filler, but no filler is needed with the DR. Which is why I really like that wad in the herters hull.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

lbrown wrote:

Have we confirmed that the DR-16 is gone for good?

Larry not sure which rumor monger you are listening to but you might want to stop it.

I talked to Kevin a few minutes ago, I have his cell phone normally I don't like to use it and prefer to call his office like anyone else. Except in this case.

He said any rumors of the demise of the DR16 death is greatly exaggerated. As I have said before after I have talked to him they are on his radar. Between storms, COVID, material shortages, and trying to keep up with his bread and butter wads to keep the lights on it has been a struggle for him.

He is catching up on raw materials. Not as much as he would like but enough to make a run of DR16 at least a small to mid sized batch. But it won't be until Spring. He has to change out the molds to make a run and the DR16 molds can't run unattended like the other molds can. So he will only be making them with some daylight to do so. And this time of year it takes awhile for the molds to come up to temperature. He is shooting for Spring which means a good chance sometime this Summer. Or sooner.
lbrown
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:27 am  Reply with quote

Well, I did exactly what the Down Range website told me to do: They listed an email for general sales questions. I got no response. Pretty sure I tried the same thing several months ago with the same result. Kinda makes a guy wonder whether anyone is home. Probably a good idea to take that email off their website. The nice thing about emails is that they take less time responding than a telephone call. And you don't have to do it immediately.

But if they show up this summer, that would be really good news.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:42 am  Reply with quote

Savage16,

That load started out as a tested 1 oz. load. Any primer would be fine. The hotter the better is how I would approach it.

I do have a hard time believing that the wad column height is correct. With 1 oz. of shot the crimp with that combination can be slightly dished. But stranger things have happened.

I have about 500 of those older Herter's hulls, I wish I had some Universal to try the load.

Here is the tested data that I have:

Cheddite 2 3/4" 2 piece plastic
Winchester 209 Primer
20.0 grains Universal
Gualandi BRG16/21 wad (SG16)
1 oz. lead shot

FPS - 1154
PSI - 8,100

Savage16
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:54 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, Looks like thats the only load Hodgdon is showing right now for a Cheddite hull, but with a ched primer.

https://www.hodgdonreloading.com/reloading-data-center?rdc=true&type=55

In a stroke of luck, I recently got a jug of Universal, so this could be my 1 ounce load for awhile.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:21 am  Reply with quote

Savage16,

Good on you for getting the Universal.

I have been waiting for Universal for some 1 oz. loads for Sporting, 5 Stand, Sharptails and Huns, and by the looks I am going to wait another year or so.

Unique works with those components too, but BPI is way too pricey for me.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:55 am  Reply with quote

Savage16 wrote:

In a stroke of luck, I recently got a jug of Universal, so this could be my 1 ounce load for awhile.

Sounds like you have some good friends that think of you and call you when opportunity shows up Cool

I already had some and anymore would just have been greedy on my part