16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  anyone shoot tri star bristol 16 ga
laplander0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:35 pm  Reply with quote

i saw 1 in the gun shop today. triggers broke at at 4.5# and it pointed alright. does anyone have any experience with this gun
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

laplander0,

I have been watching to see if any of the members purchased one and what their experience happens to be. I have been thinking about purchasing one, what did you think of the one you handled? The professional reviews seem to be pretty good. The 4.5 trigger pull is a might high for me, but considering its a new modern gun its not all that bad. Having gunned L.C. Smith's for many years I an use to a high quality light trigger pull of 3.5 on the 1st trigger and 4.0 on the 2nd trigger.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
laplander0
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

the balance was pretty good. balance point was maybe 3/4" on the barrel side of the hinge pin. it pointed pretty good and the fit wasn't horrible, a little proud in some places. it really was better than i expected. i see that there is a talo version as well. The trigger pull was kind of long but it was 4# 5oz. if someone doesn't tell me it is a doubling piece of junk i will probably buy 1
Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 2:51 pm  Reply with quote

Are you looking at the english stock version or pistol grip? A guy on UJ has been posting a lot of pictures of different birds taken with a pistol grip 20 ga.

hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

Love mine-----
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

Spanish, Italian or Turkish manufacture

Thanks
Mike

silverbowff
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

Manufactured in Turkey by Kahn. The Dickinson guns are also made in Turkey by Akus.

A5 Sweet Sixteen
Husqvarna model 49 16
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter,

Which gun did you purchase, where and how much did you have to pay for the gun?
I have been lucky with the purchase of my Turkish made guns so far, none of them have problems. I do not want to take a chance and get a 16 gauge gun that doubles.
It seems the Turkish made guns still do not have all the problems ironed out quality wise.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

FallCreekFan
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:12 am  Reply with quote

A year ago I posted an inquiry about it over in the Guns section. Just looked that post up. 2265 reads. Zero responses. Glad to see finally that the Bristol is getting some traction and we’re getting some feedback. Interesting gun.

Here’s the original link which is still good.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/tristar-arms-bristol-side-by-side-now-available-in-16-gauge/
downsouthjukin
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

laplander0 wrote:
i saw 1 in the gun shop today. triggers broke at at 4.5# and it pointed alright. does anyone have any experience with this gun

I bought a 20 ga. with the nickel receiver and semi-pistol grip. I've taken it out after quail and have put about 100 rounds through it.

It takes Beretta Mobil chokes and points and shoots well. My only gripe is that the barrel sector seems to side slightly back to center sometimes and gets hung up and if it is not pushed all the to one side or the other it causes you not to be able to switch the safety off when you need t make a quick shot. I may see about tinkering with it to correct that. An internet search reveals that this is a common problem.

I am also going to contact Tri-Star to see what they would charge for an English-style stock for it.

Winchester Model 12 16ga.
Ithaca Model 37 16ga.
Other 20's and 12's
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:42 pm  Reply with quote

downsouthjukin wrote:
laplander0 wrote:

I bought a 20 ga. with the nickel receiver and semi-pistol grip. I've taken it out after quail and have put about 100 rounds through it.

It takes Beretta Mobil chokes and points and shoots well. My only gripe is that the barrel sector seems to side slightly back to center sometimes and gets hung up and if it is not pushed all the to one side or the other it causes you not to be able to switch the safety off when you need t make a quick shot. I may see about tinkering with it to correct that. An internet search reveals that this is a common problem.

I am also going to contact Tri-Star to see what they would charge for an English-style stock for it.

I went to the TriStar website to get a look at the Bristol and the standard gun has a straight grip and then there is an upgrade with silver receiver and what looks like a conventional pistol grip stock, but I couldn't find one with a semi-pistol grip. Can you post a picture of your gun so I could see the stock shape? I've ordered some guns from overseas where the semi-pistol grip resembles a modified POW with a rounded bottom.

downsouthjukin
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:30 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
downsouthjukin wrote:
laplander0 wrote:

It takes Beretta Mobil chokes and points and shoots well. My only gripe is that the barrel selector seems to side slightly back to center sometimes and gets hung up and if it is not pushed all the to one side or the other it causes you not to be able to switch the safety off when you need t make a quick shot. I may see about tinkering with it to correct that. An internet search reveals that this is a common problem.

I went to the TriStar website to get a look at the Bristol and the standard gun has a straight grip and then there is an upgrade with silver receiver and what looks like a conventional pistol grip stock, but I couldn't find one with a semi-pistol grip. Can you post a picture of your gun so I could see the stock shape? I've ordered some guns from overseas where the semi-pistol grip resembles a modified POW with a rounded bottom.

Here it is on the website: https://www.tristararms.com/series/bristol-silver/#bristol-silver-sxs-silver-walnut

Here is a good representative pic of mine from the website:

I guess it would qualify as a pistol grip, but there isn't much swell or transition between the grip and the rest of the butt stock.

Last edited by downsouthjukin on Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Ithaca Model 37 16ga.
Other 20's and 12's
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:48 pm  Reply with quote

downsouth,

How does the gun handle for you, I am thinking about the purchase of the 16 or the 28 gauge Bristol Silver gun. Did your gun do any doubling, does it swing well, is the balance nice, are you comfortable with the trigger pull, and does the trigger have any creep to it before activating the shot? The other CZ & Huglu guns I have purchased are real nice guns, the CZ 28 Bob White G2 gun has turned out to be a higher quality gun than I thought it would be especially for the money, the 28 gauge Huglu 200A trigger plate gun is a higher mid level 28 that carries incredibly well, in the Grouse woods, and has operated flawlessly, with its Beretta style SST. Can I expect the same from this Turkish made Tristar Bristol 16 gauge double gun? Although I compare every SXS double gun to my Graded L.C. Smith guns, I am not expecting that kind of high quality, however I do want something decent for the money I expend. Please give me your honest opinion of your Bristol Silver Box Lock double gun.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

downsouthjukin
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:24 am  Reply with quote

Pine Creek/Dave wrote:
downsouth,

How does the gun handle for you, I am thinking about the purchase of the 16 or the 28 gauge Bristol Silver gun. Did your gun do any doubling, does it swing well, is the balance nice, are you comfortable with the trigger pull, and does the trigger have any creep to it before activating the shot? The other CZ & Huglu guns I have purchased are real nice guns, the CZ 28 Bob White G2 gun has turned out to be a higher quality gun than I thought it would be especially for the money, the 28 gauge Huglu 200A trigger plate gun is a higher mid level 28 that carries incredibly well, in the Grouse woods, and has operated flawlessly, with its Beretta style SST. Can I expect the same from this Turkish made Tristar Bristol 16 gauge double gun? Although I compare every SXS double gun to my Graded L.C. Smith guns, I am not expecting that kind of high quality, however I do want something decent for the money I expend. Please give me your honest opinion of your Bristol Silver Box Lock double gun.

all the best,

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man

It balances well. Maybe slightly front heavy. I'll check tonight to give you a better idea. It swings well. The trigger has very little creep and my rough estimate is that it breaks around 5 lbs. (I don't have a scale). It has never doubled and has gone bang every time I have pulled the trigger.

I found it online at a Cabelas in Texas as a demo gun. When I received it it looked like it had never been shot and came in the box with all accessories. I paid $595.00 for it, and that includes the $45.00 for shipping. It came with 3 or 4 choke tubes (I'l check this evening).

Honestly, I wouldn't pay the $950-$1,000 retail price for one of these, and would put that money towards something else. One of the primary reasons I bought it was because of the price point and I wanted a side-by-side 20 ga. that accepted choke tubes, and particularly Mobil chokes since I already have plenty of those. Once I get the barrel selector issue worked-out, it will be fine. But if I had to do it over again, and since this was intended as a woods quail gun, I would see if I could find a mid-grade older domestic or import with 26" barrels in skeet/IC or a similar open configuration or find one that I wouldn't mind having opened to that configuration (clutch pearls, gasp). Or maybe even have thin-wall chokes installed (double clutch pearls, double gasp). Very Happy

I'll pull it out of the cabinet tonight and update the balance and choke tube issues.

Ithaca Model 37 16ga.
Other 20's and 12's
Aurelio Corso
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

My friend has the same trouble with the safety hanging up like downsouth with his 28 ga.