16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  one powder
bigblue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:25 am  Reply with quote

700x is the off shoot of the now defunk CIL 300 and 700x is or was made in Canada as some Winchester powders . It along with other IMR powders are a no show up here. Still have two 8lb jugs on hand at the old $190 price.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:51 am  Reply with quote

The last 8 lber. of 700-X I have was made in the USA. I bought that last May/June from Powder Valley.

bigblue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:49 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
The last 8 lber. of 700-X I have was made in the USA. I bought that last May/June from Powder Valley.
It is getting harder to figure things out anymore my two 8lb jugs say made in Canada and packaged in the USA Bar Code #5448600106 As long as it comes from North America and goes BANG I am happy.
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:50 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
It is getting harder to figure things out anymore my two 8lb jugs say made in Canada and packaged in the USA Bar Code #5448600106 As long as it comes from North America and goes BANG I am happy.

You and me both.......but the Vihtavuori stuff has my interest.

bigblue
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:00 am  Reply with quote

The Vit powder is popular up here with practical pistol shooters but be careful the supply issue and cost often going for $100 plus a pound. It is a good product but you may be running into a rabbit hole ? Short term maybe long term not so much.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:16 am  Reply with quote

MSM2019 wrote:
Quote:

You and me both.......but the Vihtavuori stuff has my interest.

Mark were you able to grab any of that Unique last week? Or are you wanting to go down another rabbit hole. Not that there is anything wrong with that. You can often find me at the top of the hole looking down it as well Laughing
MSM2019
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:46 am  Reply with quote

Missed the Unique in 8 lbs. which is not the end of the world. I have enough powder for 7/8 oz. and 1 oz. loads in the 16 gauge for targets for the summer. If DownRange would get off their a** and make some DR16's there wouldn't be any issue at all.

I am getting a bit weary of no components or ridiculously priced components.

The Winchester 572 really irritates me. I know that my tests were an extreme, but it shows that the powder isn't really suited to the 16 gauge. What happens at 20 degrees? That's a very normal temperature to hunt in. I have NEVER had to concern myself with what temperature my ammo is kept at....target or hunting ammo.

Then just try to actually use 1 oz. of lead with 572 in a Federal, Cheddite, Winchester, RIO, Fiocchi etc. hull using an SG16. Hodgdon's reloading data sucks at best. It reads like amateur hour. They must have hired BPI to do their testing.

I know I am being a grumpy, old, guy but I've had enough.

Stupidity reigns supreme.....all too often.

This whole situation isn't good. What's going on is not sustainable. Folks are going to bail out of this and go do something that is affordable and convenient. The prices are going to hurt the clubs big time, if things don't change.

Sorry for the rant didn't mean to hijack the thread.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:31 pm  Reply with quote

One powder that did it all? Yeah, it existed... then Chris Hogdon killed it. It was called 800-X. It was good for target loads to heavy field magnums and even worked like a charm in 2 3/4" 12 ga. steel shot loads.