16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Clip on sights, Turkey
putz463
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:02 am  Reply with quote

Looking for recommendations on favorite temporary/clip-on sights for vent rib shotguns. Hoping to spend some time Turkey Hunting this spring.

Any input appreciated,

hoashooter
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:28 am  Reply with quote

Hi-viz???
MSM2019
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:45 am  Reply with quote

May I ask why? If the shotgun shoots the the correct POA, you don't need sights.

putz463
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:09 am  Reply with quote

Thanks hoashooter, I'll look into those.

Fair enough, 2 of the guns I hope to hunt have no sights, excepting the rear, they're set up for pointing at where moving things are going not aiming at them with any degree of precision. I figured a clip on/temp sight will be a simple "fix" to the aiming thing that Turkey Hunting seems to need. + I've never used them so it gets managed with a because we can & lets see what happens mindset.

Saw some good reviews of Truglo Gobble Dot's.

MSM2019
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:36 am  Reply with quote

Guess I never thought about it like that.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:36 am  Reply with quote

Not sure I'd go the bright/ glow sight route. The sights will be easy to see in low light, but will the gobbler's head? I like my target to stand out more boldly than my sights. Why? Focus. Back in my predator hunting days I discovered I shot better in low light or "hurry up" situations if I wasn't focusing so hard on both the sights and target at the same time. I eventually ditched anything distracting and went to a dot reticle in my scopes. There was money on the line every time I pulled the trigger, so this stuff really mattered.

putz463
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:26 am  Reply with quote

Glow sights; good insight, factoring in, thanks! Albeit, no money on this line, simply looking forward to watching all those changing colors in the morning sky and hearing the day wake up while acting like a bush or clump of tangle, poking a couple/few holes in a Tom will be a welcome bonus.

Hootch
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

they dont always fit real snug, and may move a bit on you and now not shooting where you are aiming, I speak from experience.

The beads on your shotgun do just fine, just remember to keep your head down on the stock!
If you have a middle bead its even easier
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:22 am  Reply with quote

Appreciate the experienced advice, thank you. While patterning the loads I'm finding that I'm not that far off just using the front beads, not so much on the guns that don't have them. Might just look into replacing the front beads, may even look into installing mid beads following your input. Thanks again.

jusanothajoe
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:12 am  Reply with quote

They make high viz sights that bolt on to the rib and will not move.
I highly recommend them for precise shooting.

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

I have magnetic tubes that are positioned on my BPS, two in the rear and one on the front, put the front sight in between the two rear ones, put the bar of the gobblers head on top of the middle sight, snd squeeze the trigger like a rifle. Works every time out to 40 yards. The pipes collect light and glow. On those mornings when it’s early or in the shadows, there is no comparison. Great for old eyes like mine, I just make sure he’s close enough that I can easily see his eye, line those sights up then put him down. Jack another shell into the chamber and keep those beads on him, if his head pops up shoot him again!

I’ve found wonderful new ammo. It’s 3” B&P 12 GA Heavy Pheasant 6’s at 1,350 fps. Dense patterns and great penetration at 40 yards with a regular full choke. Nickle played shot to minimize deformities and make good patterns.

Half the job is getting him in range, the other half is killing him. Good luck out there and be safe at all times. Reno

putz463
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:44 am  Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the advice. Purchased a HIVIZ product (screws/clamps onto the rib) and immediately the patterns were much more consistently centered on the patterning paper aiming tape.

...."I just make sure he’s close enough that I can easily see his eye, line those sights up then put him down. Jack another shell into the chamber and keep those beads on him, if his head pops up shoot him again!"....Great advice, about exactly how I treat Diver's...